New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Just as the innuendos against the old board could have been made by someone with an axe to grind, or maybe even someone who doesn’t think women should be involved in running a football club

Is it possible to think simultaneously think that women should be involved in running and leading football clubs, but also think Jacqui Low was absolutely hopeless and completely full of pish? 

• Like 5

The club I've supported for over 50 years is now truly a laughing stock. 

We have a multi-millionaire benefactor who has spent countless tens of thousands in support of the club's playing ambitions via a youth academy and given promises of funding for a training complex.  If true, the removal of the previous Chairman has caused him to sever his association with the club, putting in jeopardy the future of the former and the cancellation of the latter.

Generations of managers at our level have doubtless wished they had at their disposal the sort of money that Thistle are alleged to have received recently from transfer fees.  We, on the other hand have a manager that has the money (if these rumours are true) - and remember he said at the first Meet the Manager night that he hadn't spent all of his January window budget - but he has been  told he can't spend any of it.  Most takeovers involve the incoming owners pumping money into the club to stabilise it, even if they expect to recoup their initial investment.  This is truly a strange variation! 

We have prospective owners who, if true, have announced promotion is not a priority this season.  Will this demotivate the players?  Will it make them adopt a "we'll show them" attitude?  What will the impact on fans be?  What will the impact on the manager be?

Edited by a f kincaid

This is a shambles. Without knowing anything about the details of the club's finances, it seems to me unlikely that we're in financial trouble - there's been no suggestion in the recent past of any difficulties and we've just had reasonably large amounts from transfer fees. So this seems more likely to be about the new owners blocking further spending.

Way to go, guys, at getting the fans onside.

3 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

The club I've supported for over 50 years is now truly a laughing stock. 

We have a multi-millionaire benefactor who has spent countless tens of thousands in support of the club's playing ambitions via a youth academy and given promises of funding for a training complex.  If true, the removal of the previous Chairman has caused him to sever his association with the club, putting in jeopardy the future of the former and the cancellation of the latter.

Generations of managers at our level have doubtless wished they had at their disposal the sort of money that Thistle are alleged to have received recently from transfer fees.  We, on the other hand have a manager that has the money (if these rumours are true) - and remember he said at the first Meet the Manager night that he hadn't spent all of his January window budget - but he has been  told he can't spend any of it.  Most takeovers involve the incoming owners pumping money into the club to stabilise it, even if they expect to recoup their initial investment.  This is truly a strange variation! 

We have prospective owners who, if true, have announced promotion is not a priority this season.  Will this demotivate the players?  Will it make them adopt a "we'll show them" attitude?  What will the impact on fans be?  What will the impact on the manager be?

Spot on. Dangerous times indeed. Just as you think we might be turning things around this takeover could hijack this season and possibly more. Big responsibility with Beattie now to ensure the future of the club is robust. 

Maybe - just maybe, it makes sense for a new Owner/ Board to come in and take a bit of time to appraise how the business they are acquiring is run .

Put on hold any new expenditure and pare back on- going costs until such times as they get a decent realistic understanding of the club finances.

Perhaps it is sensible to keep proclamations of winning leagues and going for promotion at all costs- under check, so that if it fails to  materialise there is no great out-pouring of recrimination. 

Just saying.

5 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Much depends on who the "source(s) within Firhill" is (are).

Where does Gerry Britton fit in with all this. He worked under the old regime, knew budgets etc. He’s still there and presumably knows the new budget. He must have some sort of insight into all this but presumably is fearful for his own job?

13 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Maybe - just maybe, it makes sense for a new Owner/ Board to come in and take a bit of time to appraise how the business they are acquiring is run .

Put on hold any new expenditure and pare back on- going costs until such times as they get a decent realistic understanding of the club finances.

Perhaps it is sensible to keep proclamations of winning leagues and going for promotion at all costs- under check, so that if it fails to  materialise there is no great out-pouring of recrimination. 

Just saying.

Surely they would have done plenty of research before even making enquiries about buying the shares 

Just now, Norgethistle said:

Putting 2 + 2 together and perhaps getting 5, but the previous board stated finances were fine.

New board comes in, Weirs walk and now finances appear to be a mess.

Does this mean we were actually relying on Colin Weirs money for the day to day running of the club ?

Given you used to get your info from the mole surely you would know this?

Hopefully this doesn’t unsettle our players- I certainly think the unsettling times will give our opponents a boost 

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Putting 2 + 2 together and perhaps getting 5, but the previous board stated finances were fine.

Does this mean we were actually relying on Colin Weirs money for the day to day running of the club ?

I fail to see how the finances are a mess we have no debts , no overdraft or banking facilities 

this is just the owners saying we are about to take over don’t spend anything you don’t need to 

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Surely they would have done plenty of research before even making enquiries about buying the shares 

Except they wouldn’t have had access to the club’s detailed accounts.

If (and it’s just ‘if’) we are gubbed financially it isn’t the fault of the guys who have been in charge for three weeks, and nor is it the fault of the guys who aren’t even in charge yet - let’s be quite clear about that. 

3 minutes ago, blakey said:

Where does Gerry Britton fit in with all this. He worked under the old regime, knew budgets etc. He’s still there and presumably knows the new budget. He must have some sort of insight into all this but presumably is fearful for his own job?

His saving grace could be he was appointed CEO by Beattie.

1 minute ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Except they wouldn’t have had access to the club’s detailed accounts.

If (and it’s just ‘if’) we are gubbed financially it isn’t the fault of the guys who have been in charge for three weeks, and nor is it the fault of the guys who aren’t even in charge yet - let’s be quite clear about that. 

They will have had access to our accounts , financial information and anything else they wanted that’s part of buying a business . It’s standard practice in any acquisition. 

11 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

In what way do finances "appear to be a mess"? 

Just now, Fawlty Towers said:

This is all very strange - each answer to a point seems to raise two more questions.

Personally I have no interest in playing the blame game, I would just appreciate some honest straight talking from those currently in charge of the club I support!

Ran out of likes.

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I fail to see how the finances are a mess we have no debts , no overdraft or banking facilities

This is a total non sequitur.

Firstly, the finances being in a mess need not have anything to do with the Club’s balance sheet. It may instead be about the deficit being run and therefore the wasting of reserves.

Secondly, having banking facilities isn’t an indication of financial distress; it’s perfectly common to have them in a business where turnover is volatile (as is normal for football clubs given the nature of the sources of revenue and the relatively static costs)

I’m not saying the finances are in a mess, but if those are your grounds for thinking they aren’t, well I’d like to see the audited accounts for 2018-19 please.

Keep saying it- no fan of the 3BC/Low especially the way departures of certain folk from the club was handled as well as Caldwell appointment.

However, we’re now being a colt team for an English Championship/ League 1 club. I really can’t see how this works out well for Thistle. Any good prospects belonging to us will likely end up

at Barnsley & any decent prospects from Barnsley will likely be sold or end up back at the next window.

My dad just called it Ken Bates all over again. Far too young to remember it but I know from him & others that the club went nowhere. History repeating?

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If finances were such a mess, then why do these guys want anything to do with us? No money to be made. Promotion not an aim so walk I crowds likely down. Prospective sponsors holding their cash knowing little or no TV exposure from even BBC Scotland deal as they’ll show promotion chasing teams when next round of fixtures announced. We’re being shafted all ways here.

What’s happening with PropCo?

• admin locked this topic