New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Just now, Jordanhill Jag said:

How do you know its "invented " so guys like Norman Springford one of the most respected businessmen in Scotland - a very very Wealthy Man invent Budget deficits to get an extra £50K - behave-  thats just nonsense  

He is only one if the shareholders some are not as wealthy 

the point is the club is being dressed up for a sale and budgets cut accordingly which benefits the people selling 

6 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Surely its up to Colin Weir to make any statement as the Club doesn't speak on his behalf ? Currently we have a Press Article - The Club have answered on the £200K  Player Budget - they have advised Buses are Alloa and Morton only - they have discussed budgeting in detail - not sure what is missing ?  

He just has and that’s £6m we will never see again 

Do we not pretty much all agree that the club is being primed for selling, that this is fairly standard business practice, that the shareholders have every right to do this, and the primary concern is that we know very little about the intentions of the prospective new owners?

And that Colin Weir's decision is very unfortunate, but pretty inevitable if we're going to be owned by billionaires.

Edited by allyo

1 minute ago, allyo said:

Do we not pretty much all agree that the club is being primed for selling, that this is fairly standard business practice, that the shareholders have every right to do this, and the primary concern is that we know very little about the intentions of the prospective new owners?

All true

and the takeover has now cost us £6m of investment from Colin weir 

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok wow - nope there mine  - I make my own mind up on things 

As do I....and the fact is that if the clubs finances are better then a higher  sale price can be a achieved and indeed there may already be targets for that agree with new city capital 

Just now, javeajag said:

As do I....and the fact is that if the clubs finances are better then a higher  sale price can be a achieved and indeed there may already be targets for that agree with new city capital 

Possibly - but thats how Companies work - we were happy to take the previous Investment - so No issue in them getting there cash back ?    

So from a distance it appears that:

we have managed to get rid of a wealthy benefactor, who has an affinity for the club, who has already invested 2.5m with a further £6m set aside for a training ground (which has admittedly run into issues so who knows if it would ever materialise). 

We are now hoping to replace this investment with that of some sort of venture capital firm, who may or may not put in additional cash, with no previous association with the club, who Seemingly want to use us as a Barnsley feeder club. 

Of those 2 investment options there is only 1 that you would pick. I appreciate this is a simplification, but it seems so apt for Thistle to have so spectacularly cocked this up. 

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So we are clear it was a Training Ground owned by a third Party on a long term lease - we didnt own it 

Now you know I know we didn’t own it but you also know it was an investment for the club and you also know that new city capital will never invest in the club to that extent 

Just now, mad-jag said:

we have managed to get rid of a wealthy benefactor, who has an affinity for the club, who has already invested 2.5m with a further £6m set aside for a training ground (which has admittedly run into issues so who knows if it would ever materialise). 

We are now hoping to replace this investment with that of some sort of venture capital firm, who may or may not put in additional cash, with no previous association with the club, who Seemingly want to use us as a Barnsley feeder club. 

Of those 2 investment options there is only 1 that you would pick. I appreciate this is a simplification, but it seems so apt for Thistle to have so spectacularly cocked this up. 

But the Training Ground wasnt owned by us ? We were a Tenant 

Possibly - but thats how Companies work - we were happy to take the previous Investment - so No issue in them getting there cash back ?    

You seem more keen to justify the board's actions than to consider whether it is good for the club.

No one is disputing their right to do what they like with their shares. We're just worried about where it will leave us.

They can get their money back of course but do t give us the i love Thistle horeshit as they take the cash 

1 minute ago, mad-jag said:

I think that it proves (once again) that football clubs shouldn't rely on wealthy benefactors to subsidise their activities.  

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Now you know I know we didn’t own it but you also know it was an investment for the club and you also know that new city capital will never invest in the club to that extent 

We had to pay a Commercial Rent - that wasnt an option and I pushed this at the AGM - so Im struggling ( and always have ) to see the Training Ground as a big deal 

3 minutes ago, mad-jag said:

The problem is there is a difference in the motivations of a fan and the motivations of a shareholder. It  changes the value of these options.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

You seem more keen to justify the board's actions than to consider whether it is good for the club.

No one is disputing their right to do what they like with their shares. We're just worried about where it will leave us.

Im just pragmatic - and I would rather we are sold to someone with a Plan 

We had to pay a Commercial Rent - that wasnt an option and I pushed this at the AGM - so Im struggling ( and always have ) to see the Training Ground as a big deal 

I know I was there.....

a commercial rent as you know could be very advantageous to us .....it was also more than a training ground and that will explain why every other club has one or wants one 

Im just pragmatic - and I would rather we are sold to someone with a Plan 

For me that's the big question. No one knows their plan. I doubt the current board do.

That and the bus obviously. 

• admin locked this topic