New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

We weren’t going to see the £6M. That was set aside for the training ground, if I read his statement correctly.

Yip that money was to build the training ground and then lease it back to Thistle. The money wasn't Thistle's. The complex was due to be opened in time for the start of this season but nothing has happened for months.  I smell a convenient excuse to say  its canned.

Edited by Z88
Typo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

The last two years have been a disaster both on and off the park. Now the promised training ground has been canned. We went from securing the future of our club for decades with a great infrastructure to potentially losing the academy. The board have alienated our saviour and nobody knows what's in store. We have sleep walked into mismanagement and with only one game into the season plans are in disarray. Its an absolute disgrace and a shambles. As much as I wasn't  a big fan of Low, I can't help but feel she has been thrown under the bus to make Beattie look like this knight in shining armour. He is culpable for us being where we are

The only reason Beattie is back is for financial gain , maybe Jaqui Low had major doubts in the direction they wanted to go in but getting rid of your benefactor’s spokesperson is a massive gamble and there was always going to be consequences. Its a 6 million pound gamble which was ring  fenced for the Training  Academy which has now gone on top of day to day funding of the Academy.

I don’t believe the level of finance being put into the Club will be anything like that with the New Owners .

If this takeover doesn’t happen, we’re gubbed 

Edited by jlsarmy

I've spent the time from coming in from work this evening ploughing through all the smoke and mirrors being posted on here and on P&B. There's been a lot spoken about which board is better.  Most of it has been from supporters (or friends) of one faction or another both claiming that their side is right. But what is not being talked about is what will happen to Thistle if the sale of the shares does go through.

I for one am really concerned about the future of our club. The old board seemed to have had the interest of the playing side of the club at heart. Whether they went about it in the most effective way can be debated. One thing that supporters of the new board seem to agree on is that they deserve a return on their shareholding over the years. Does that translete into a wish to see top class football playerd at Firhill for the future?

What are the plans for PTFC? There has been speculation (perhaps malicious) that we are to be a feeder club. But there has been not even a hint from the current board or any potential new majority shareholders.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Which possibly caused other problems as well. As supporters we're only too aware of logistical travel difficulties (eg cancelled train on Saturday past). I'm guessing  that the players didn't receive any travel compo and the nett savings to the Club would be somewhere in the region of £750. Even when you double that to take in the Morton game I wonder if it is worth all the neg PR. Reckon it's more posturing by new board v old board than genuine cost cutting.

I have no idea how much it costs to hire a coach ? Is it £750 per game ? But I agree it is a small amount even if you assume it is 4 times in the season. Ie Alloa x 2 and Morton x 2

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

I agree but should they say what’s going to happen to the academy ? Or explain why he wasn’t convinced by the takeover ? Or anything ? 

I think you need to give them a chance to work out what to do about the academy. 

I think it is up to Colin Weir to explain why he wasn’t convinced ?

I guess people working in the academy will lose their jobs - I think that is Colin Weirs responsibility.

53 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Well.....if I adjust the budget to leave more money in the business and sell the business for a higher price that’s more value to me as a shareholder 

It is achieving or beating the budget that creates the value, not the budget itself.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

I believe it was and has been reported in the media that a portion of any transfer money involving players who came through the academy, would go to the academy and the remainer for player funding.

Do you mean the club were contributing to the academy through giving some of the transfer fees to it ? 

13 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think you need to give them a chance to work out what to do about the academy. 

I think it is up to Colin Weir to explain why he wasn’t convinced ?

I guess people working in the academy will lose their jobs - I think that is Colin Weirs responsibility.

After his spokesperson was binned from the Board unceremoniously who was meant to be safeguarding his money that he so kindly gave to us ,£2.5 million over the last 4 or 5 years . why would he keep on giving the Club money to line the pockets of a multi millionaire ?

PTFC ran the Academy, staffed the Academy, Colin Weir only helped fund it .

David Beattie has bitten off the hand that feeds us .

Shameful 

• Like 1

A few weeks ago before the takeover garbage, all was looking promising.

Then we sell a very promising player who would probably have been terrific this season, the not inconsiderable fee disappearing into thin air along with another large fee from Barnsley for Lindsay.

Ive no idea about the competence of the old board but the promised budget for our young manager seemed large with a consequential possibility of promotion.

The new (potential)owners having withdrawn the budget, announced that we don’t want promotion, appointed lackeys and fallen out with our wealthy benefactor including our training facility being withdrawn is a disaster. 

Get them tae.... and let the football begin. 

Crawl back to Weir and ask him what it takes to reinvigorate his interest.

So I’ve decided to cancel my monthly payment to the players fund .....I’m not sure after today’s statement where the money is actually going or being used and I don’t  suppose I ever will and if we are taken over by a private equity outfit they don’t need it anyway ....I hope I’m wrong but things don’t feel great atm 

There are lots of questions...and little prospect of answers;- 

Who is the "Insider" who gave the  "Club's a Shambles" Story?  It does remind me that when Caldwell was appointed, the Board had to issue an apology to Chesterfield for the claim that he had not had the benefit of his promised transfer budget.

Is it credible that the reported £700,000 windfall from the Lindsay & Fitzpatrick transfer fees is only partly sufficient to cover the Budget Deficit? For a Club without a Bank Overdraft facility, if this is true, there must have been some reckless mismanagement...far more than the hire of a bus to Alloa.

Wtf do Billionaires from the USA hope to gain out of ownership of Partick Thistle?

And most importantly, will all Thistle Fans remember that Bobby Houston was in fact a very decent player for the Club?

Edited by Winter of '63

4 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

There are lots of questions...and little prospect of answers;- 

Who is the "Insider" who gave the  "Club's a Shambles" Story?  It does remind me that when Caldwell was appointed, the Board had to issue an apology to Chesterfield for the claim that he had not had the benefit of his promised transfer budget.

Is it credible that the reported £700,000 windfall from the Lindsay & Fitzpatrick transfer fees is only partly sufficient to cover the Budget Deficit? For a Club without a Bank Overdraft facility, if this is true, there must have been some reckless mismanagement...far more than the hire of a bus to Alloa.

Wtf do Billionaires from the USA hope to gain out of ownership of Partick Thistle?

And most importantly, will all Thistle Fans remember that Bobby Houston was in fact a very decent player for the Club?

Unlike the forum poster who uses his name, he was a credit to Thistle.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

After his spokesperson was binned from the Board unceremoniously who was meant to be safeguarding his money that he so kindly gave to us ,£2.5 million over the last 4 or 5 years . why would he keep on giving the Club money to line the pockets of a multi millionaire ?

PTFC ran the Academy, staffed the Academy, Colin Weir only helped fund it .

David Beattie has bitten off the hand that feeds us .

Shameful 

I am sure he is justified in his reasoning for withdrawing funding, but his actions are probably going to cost people jobs. David Beattie and co’s decision making also looks suspect. I am not taking any sides here. I think both are acting selfishly or out of spite.

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to run the academy and how much of that was funded by Colin Weir.

5 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I am sure he is justified in his reasoning for withdrawing funding, but his actions are probably going to cost people jobs. David Beattie and co’s decision making also looks suspect. I am not taking any sides here. I think both are acting selfishly or out of spite.

Just out of interest, how much does it cost to run the academy and how much of that was funded by Colin Weir.

Ok just to defend Colin weir a little ....

he has provided the funding for the academy in total not the club and if I remember it’s about £250k a year ( it’s funny how some people support his funding if the academy but not a training  ground )

i don’t think his withdrawal of support happens immediately so the club has time to take over 

what would you have done if you were Colin weir ? We are selling the club to billionaires ! 

• Like 2

• admin locked this topic