New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Months ? Has he not just been chairman again for a matter of weeks ?

And it isn’t a better question. Ask Colin Weir why he didn’t contact Chien

Maybe it would be easier for Beattie to contact Weir than for Weir to contact Lee

beattie May have only been chairman for a matter of weeks but I would have thought the planning for this and talks with the consortium would have been going on for months at which point one of them could have said- let’s engage with Colin Weir 

4 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

All seems very suspicious to me. Court wealthy benefactor. Get debt cleared. Play the long game. Oust your puppet board. Sell the club. Bingo. Weir shafted.

Glad I'm not alone in thinking Colin Weir is being shafted. Take note @Jordanhill Jag

3 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ive had the honour to train with couple of World Class Athletes -  they went to Races in a Car - to this day pretty much every Athlete I know lot of them Internationalists - travel to Races in a Car and in some cases Public Transport - we are talking TWO Stadiums 30 minutes away from Firhill - thats the extent of Busgate - its a non story 

Yet you keep harping on that there's no story, continuing to be an apologist for your friends who's behaviour and attitude to us plebs fans is harking back to the days of Miller Reid. Way to go jordanhill jag

90 pages of thread is a lot to trawl through but is there any definite answer yet as to why this consortium want to invest ,or be in control of PTFC?  It clearly can,t have anything to do with being long lost lifelong supporters.  

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Maybe it would be easier for Beattie to contact Weir than for Weir to contact Lee

beattie May have only been chairman for a matter of weeks but I would have thought the planning for this and talks with the consortium would have been going on for months at which point one of them could have said- let’s engage with Colin Weir 

Based on Zero info  - you have assumed that they didn't try and contact him some time ago ? 

57 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Yet you keep harping on that there's no story, continuing to be an apologist for your friends who's behaviour and attitude to us plebs fans is harking back to the days of Miller Reid. Way to go jordanhill jag

I was asked a Question about the Buses - I answered it honestly - how on any level does that make me an apologist - complete nonsense 

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Glad I'm not alone in thinking Colin Weir is being shafted. Take note @Jordanhill Jag

Sorry - First I argued that I thought we went backwards after he got involved - this was Months ago 

Second - the debt was being paid down - we traded at a Profit - so we were doing ok without him 

Third - Im far from convinced as to the actual benefit of the Academy - Im more for a cohesive Scouting System 

He has not been "shafted "   David Beattie stated  no contact  had been made - if this is correct - then he decided that he didn't want involved going forward - thats his right - but its hardly shafting him   

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

If we didn’t have Colin Weirs investment, would there have been an Academy?

We had a decent Youth Set up that produced Banzo pre Colin Weir - We had a Scouting System that Produced ATS Pre Colin Weir 

Liam didnt come up through Thistle Weir System - Scott Mckenzie was a major influence    

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Are you going to answer the question.?

I thought not.

Keep on with the smoke screen, it isn't working. We can all see what's going on here. I didn't at first but see that people like you are posturing, no substance and high risk of the club being sold for self gain at high risk.

What Questions ? What Smoke Screen - how do you know its High Risk ? How is the potential New Owners Plan any worse than the previous Boards Plan - sweeping statements with zero to support it - complete nonsense 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Keep moving your point.... he put in £2.5m, cleared the debt , funded the academy north of £750k, was going to build us a £6m academy and we can’t even speak to him when we decide to sell the club 

Again -you know this how ? All thats stated  is there was No Contact - that doesnt mean that there wasnt attempts to contact ?  

23 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

What Questions ? What Smoke Screen - how do you know its High Risk ? How is the potential New Owners Plan any worse than the previous Boards Plan - sweeping statements with zero to support it - complete nonsense 

Have to say that for me, as a fan, the complete lack of a visible plan is far more risky than what, under the previous board, seemed like business as usual (certainly by comparison).

Maybe there is a credible plan. Maybe the current board understands it in detail, and trusts that it will be carried out. But as fans we have no evidence of this. All we have is a very uneasy feeling that the shareholders have an opportunity to make a quick return, and the knowledge that in any business this is a tempting prospect.

It leaves us in an uninformed and shaky place. Surely you are able to understand this.

Edited by allyo

1 hour ago, topcat said:

90 pages of thread is a lot to trawl through but is there any definite answer yet as to why this consortium want to invest ,or be in control of PTFC?  It clearly can,t have anything to do with being long lost lifelong supporters.  

To sum up 90 pages nobody has a scooby but everyone has an opinion

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, alexander livingstone said:

We have a X director from the old board on Facebook saying the finances were in n order when they were ousted,now we are told the club is the in serious financial trouble.what do we believe

The old Board were paying 4 managers and sanctioned a loosening of purse strings in January to support GC’s promotion target. Attendances then fell.

Ergo, when the accounts for 2018/19 are published, they will show we were living beyond our means; with Colin Weir as our only possible saviour to help with core expenditure (eg, buses).

The Old Board lived beyond their means IMHO. The New Board have simply opened  the curtains and let some light in.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Haven't read all 90 pages but some thoughts on all this. 

Prospective owners must think they're going to make money. Otherwise, why buy (unless you're a passionate fan with loads of money)? So they must have a business model on how they'll make money. We (the support) are left to speculate and guess on what this is. The current Board must have an idea on this model but can't replicate it themselves (or they'd do it themselves and make money).

Colin Weir has loads of cash and is willing to invest in Thistle. Prospective owners could have spoken to him as a potential investor but he didn't fancy it (possibly because of risk). If prospective owners didn't speak to Colin Weir then it's because their business model cannot accommodate another and is linked to something else outwith Thistle. Either way, this indicates higher risk.

Current Board  replaced the old Board to protect their asset and hold the fort until a deal can be struck.

Possible outcomes are not looking good.

If a deal is struck then new owners move in and we have a higher risk scenario that either Colin Weir didn't fancy or is so removed from Thistle that he couldn't engage. This could be based on a solid business model but worst case could lead us up an Administration path. 

If deal is not struck then current Board are left holding the baby with little prospect of making money and they'd lose interest and club will drift. 

28 minutes ago, sandy said:

The old Board were paying 4 managers and sanctioned a loosening of purse strings in January to support GC’s promotion target. Attendances then fell.

Ergo, when the accounts for 2018/19 are published, they will show we were living beyond our means; with Colin Weir as our only possible saviour to help with core expenditure (eg, buses).

The Old Board lived beyond their means IMHO. The New Board have simply opened  the curtains and let some light in.

The old board were paying for 2 management teams because the board prior to them (led by David Beattie) did not take the decision to remove Archie the season before last. Attendances did not fall after Christmas (I keep the attendances  for games alongside the 50/50 prizes). The attendance for games up to 31/12/18 was 2,879 and from 01/01/19 to the end of the season they were 3,214. We also had the unbudgeted for cup games against Hearts, one of which was televised.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The old board were paying for 2 management teams because the board prior to them (led by David Beattie) did not take the decision to remove Archie the season before last. Attendances did not fall after Christmas (I keep the attendances  for games alongside the 50/50 prizes). The attendance for games up to 31/12/18 was 2,879 and from 01/01/19 to the end of the season they were 3,214. We also had the unbudgeted for cup games against Hearts, one of which was televised.

Absolutely right what you said re Archie and David Beattie was culpable for not changing the management team at that time 

Everything at that time was the “ old pals “ act 

Archie , Shaggy , David Beattie , Maxie and Gerry Britton 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Sorry - First I argued that I thought we went backwards after he got involved - this was Months ago 

Second - the debt was being paid down - we traded at a Profit - so we were doing ok without him 

Third - Im far from convinced as to the actual benefit of the Academy - Im more for a cohesive Scouting System 

He has not been "shafted "   David Beattie stated  no contact  had been made - if this is correct - then he decided that he didn't want involved going forward - thats his right - but its hardly shafting him   

Lies lies damn lies. Eventually the he said she said will be replaced by the truth. It's looks to me, with what has happened so far he's been discarded as soon as a better suitor comes along 

It doesn't affect anything that you didn't think his input was needed. That's a moot point. You have never hired the fact you were jealous of his involvement, I've just never worked out why. How else does one explain your pathalogical dismissivness of his worth.  Mental.

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

Keep moving your point.... he put in £2.5m, cleared the debt , funded the academy north of £750k, was going to build us a £6m academy and we can’t even speak to him when we decide to sell the club 

I haven’t moved my point. I am not denying what he has done for the club, but I don’t know what the point of his statement is. He is withdrawing funding of the academy - approx £250K a year. 

He is no longer going forward with the Training ground that he was going to own and have managed by 3 black cats,not PTFC.  And it looked to be dead in the water anyway.  Plus we weren’t getting free use of it. It would help logistically, and maybe attracting better players, but nothing else.

Some people have suggested the takeover will be completed by end of August. So his financial saving will be £20K. That is hardly bankrolling. It is a drop in the ocean for a multimillionaire, peanuts for a billionaire.

Who is “we” ? When this all started, it was Jacqui Low and co who were in charge, but somehow you have turned all your wrath on David Beattie. Not the other shareholders, just him !

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

With the limited information available to me which is very little I call it high risk. That's my point which you keep missing. Because your friends are being so secretive towards us common fans, we have little to go on. What little we have means there has to be risk as to what the proposed new owners propose to do with the club and once or if they see what they have bought, there is little worth after the purchase, what will they do with us. We know way too little to make any informed decisions ergo, high risk.

Whether it is low risk, medium risk or high risk, it is still risk.

11 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Lies lies damn lies. Eventually the he said she said will be replaced by the truth. It's looks to me, with what has happened so far he's been discarded as soon as a better suitor comes along 

It doesn't affect anything that you didn't think his input was needed. That's a moot point. You have never hired the fact you were jealous of his involvement, I've just never worked out why. How else does one explain your pathalogical dismissivness of his worth.  Mental.

Why on any level would I ever in a Million Years be jealous of someone who picked six numbers in a lottery ? that is simply insane 

The bottom line is as I argued a number of months ago - my view was that we stopped progressing after we got the Weir Money - that was my View then - thats my View now  

Jealous - unbelievable rubbish - Grow Up 

• Downvote 1

• admin locked this topic