New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 hours ago, dl1971 said:

If he makes us successful he can sell us on. If we are not successful he cant. So it is in his interest to make us successful....however you define it.  

It is. It is also in his interests to at least recoup his money. At both other clubs he has taken out a loan to the value of his investment and that money has left the club. Effectively the club pays the debt he incurred buying them. If he sees opportunity to make more money he may continue to invest his own cash, if not the club will need to be self financing and will need to generate extra money to pay the loan. For evidence of how a club can stagnate when the owner loses interest watch the Sunderland documentary on Netflix or read up on the recent history of Blackpool FC. For evidence of how this can destroy a team look at how easily the Steadmans separated Clydebank from their ground and took all the cash. This takeover brings opportunity, it also brings a level of risk that wasn’t there with Colin Weir as our main investor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

I could but I’m on islay !

I stayed at the new Machrie in March (and played the golf course)

It was excellent (although the staff were a bit raw being on first shift since the ferry) but can recommend the food

43 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

It is. It is also in his interests to at least recoup his money. At both other clubs he has taken out a loan to the value of his investment and that money has left the club. Effectively the club pays the debt he incurred buying them. If he sees opportunity to make more money he may continue to invest his own cash, if not the club will need to be self financing and will need to generate extra money to pay the loan. For evidence of how a club can stagnate when the owner loses interest watch the Sunderland documentary on Netflix or read up on the recent history of Blackpool FC. For evidence of how this can destroy a team look at how easily the Steadmans separated Clydebank from their ground and took all the cash. This takeover brings opportunity, it also brings a level of risk that wasn’t there with Colin Weir as our main investor.

Even worse hiddleston at Third Lanark though I’m not suggesting anyone is behaving or capable of doing what he did at Partick Thistle 

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

I understand how an owner secure finance against the assets of the club. I'm fairly sure the vast majority of football clubs operate in a similar vein. Man United being the best known example. The danger is I assume the owner defaults on the loan. If he is a billionaire is that likely? Like most I'm having great difficulty in understanding why us, but it may turn out we will be even more financially secure than we have been of late....we will know soon enough.

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

Colin Weir was not really an investor. He was a benefactor (and we are lucky to have him).

However benefactors are very different to investors in lots of different ways - good and bad.

An investor has a vested interest in success on and off the field. 

An investor is also in in for the long haul - to maximise their return on investment, or to chase getting their money back. A benefactor (or his family in his absence) can switch the tap off at anytime, at a whim. If you have not got to a point you are self sustainable by then, there is risk.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

First No one mentioned Maryhill Park - Garscube Estate has excellent Facilities - reality we are a Tennent there - and we would be a Tennant at any 3 Black Cats Training Ground on BOTH we have to pay a Commercial Rent - circa 10% of the Development cost - simple fact or HMRC would be all over it - so not getting the "training Ground " frankly is no big deal in my opinion  

My leaning is towards a Scouting System - rather than an Academy - that view is not unique in Football

I think Colin Weir did what he thought was best  - the question is - as a result where we a better Club - thats a subjective view and down to opinion  - we were progressing before he was involved - we were a Premier Club - I have No idea as to individual Views on the Board  - I have my View      

Thanks.

Why do you put things in bold- is that to create emphasis ( imply you are shouting)? I completely understand that concept of renting a property and the word is tenant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

Finlaggan, Hebridean Isles or are you flying?

Heb Isles would be a bit classier!

I was on Caledonian Isles the other week coming from Arran (Isle of Arran going there), both boats are really showing their age now, I can remember Isle of Arran replacing the old Clansman. Even remember the old Glen Sannox and Duchess/Princess? Before that.

Not been on the Hebridean Isles for nearly 10 years now (Islay that time)

You would love all the ferries here JeanieD

11 hours ago, jaf said:

Colin Weir was not really an investor. He was a benefactor (and we are lucky to have him).

However benefactors are very different to investors in lots of different ways - good and bad.

An investor has a vested interest in success on and off the field. 

An investor is also in in for the long haul - to maximise their return on investment, or to chase getting their money back. A benefactor (or his family in his absence) can switch the tap off at anytime, at a whim. If you have not got to a point you are self sustainable by then, there is risk.

Not all investors are in it for the long haul eg hedge funds, private equity.....are short term

chien is a private investment fund and is looking for a return on his investment and he is existing nice at a profit after 3 years ?

there should be some pressure on Sunday to get from the board what he has said to them that makes them so positive this deal is yes.....transformational 

19 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Not all investors are in it for the long haul eg hedge funds, private equity.....are short term

chien is a private investment fund and is looking for a return on his investment and he is existing nice at a profit after 3 years ?

there should be some pressure on Sunday to get from the board what he has said to them that makes them so positive this deal is yes.....transformational 

It doesn't matter though does it?   Because whatever he has said some people will snipe away that its a bad deal regardless.

10 minutes ago, jaf said:

It doesn't matter though does it?   Because whatever he has said some people will snipe away that its a bad deal regardless.

It does matter. Some people will snipe regardless, but the vast majoity of fans just want to know that the deal looks positive for Thistle.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 11:10 PM, Third Lanark said:

Fair play to you Jim for doing that

Just wanted to throw my weight behind this post to @Jordanhill Jag, you might come over as a pompous arrogant self promoting, Beattie promoting snob but doing that is a touch of class. This pleb doffs his hat to you. Actions of a proper fan.

Still think your stand against the last board and this is hypocritical as per @scotty post but there you are. That's just the view of a fellow down trodden peasant.

30 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Just wanted to throw my weight behind this post to @Jordanhill Jag, you might come over as a pompous arrogant self promoting, Beattie promoting snob but doing that is a touch of class. This pleb doffs his hat to you. Actions of a proper fan.

Still think your stand against the last board and this is hypocritical as per @scotty post but there you are. That's just the view of a fellow down trodden peasant.

Hope this post has got you feeling all warm and fuzzy JJ? :thinking::D

• Haha 1

• admin locked this topic