New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 hours ago, jaf said:

It doesn't matter though does it?   Because whatever he has said some people will snipe away that its a bad deal regardless.

And some people will lap up anything without applying any critical assessment to the merit of the change.

Most of us though sit in the middle and would like some information about the intent of the investors and the short/medium/long term future of the club we have supported for a lifetime. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Just wanted to throw my weight behind this post to @Jordanhill Jag, you might come over as a pompous arrogant self promoting, Beattie promoting snob but doing that is a touch of class. This pleb doffs his hat to you. Actions of a proper fan.

Still think your stand against the last board and this is hypocritical as per @scotty post but there you are. That's just the view of a fellow down trodden peasant.

Ok lets get a few things straight - did I have any faith in the previous Board - No - I was consistant in my views on this  for last Season - I honestly have No idea what they were doing being the Board of the Club -how the Club managed to end up being run by people who were not Fans and in numerous cases Supporters of other Clubs I have No Idea - could we have had at least as good ort better from our Fan Base - pretty sure we could ( btw not me )  - I seen nothing that convinced me they were taking us forward apart from lots of PR - as for Beattie promoting wtf are you talking about - Im for the Club being taken over - David Beattie is temporary - was he a Good Chairman - Yes - are those now in charge Thistle Men who put hard earned cash into the Club - Yes - do they have the track record in business  that gives me comfort on budgets and Financial Management of the Club - Yes - Im I comfortable with them getting a return on there shares - Yes 

Every one of them are from Working Class Backgrounds and through hard graft did well - they then put money into there Club when it was needed - thats what you do - how you have an axe to grind over that - No idea       If I have a choice between them and someone who picked six numbers - Im choosing them  - If I have a Choice between them and some random individuals who havent put in a penny and most likely support other Clubs - Im choosing them 

So thats it - you choose who you prefer Running the Club 

As for the Word "Snob" what are you 12 ? Grow up and maybe drop your big Chip on your Shoulder - I grew up in Possil - my hobby is  Coaching Athletics - so jog on pal - I honesty dont care one jot what you think of me 

However rather than sniping - go explain why you think the previous Board were better than this one - as for David Beattie - if you have an axe to grind - go tell the guy on Saturday     

I make my own mind up on things - I think the changes are for the good in the long term - thats it - you think otherwise - fair enough - but your petty wee snidey remarks are frankly a disgrace towards a fellow fan   - Im proud of my achievements in improving Matchday for Partick Thistle Fans - they will be around for Years to come    

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 5

I, like everyone else on this forum, have no idea about what is happening with the possible takeover, and even less about the motivations of the prospective buyers.

However, one thing is clear in my mind, and that is that the two fans' trusts have urgently to start talking to each other in a serious way so that a united view and approach can be taken towards any takeover.   With a combined total of over 26% of the shares they are in a very powerful position to influence or even determine the outcome.

David Beattie has already urged the two trusts to cooperate so that the fans' interests - which are the fundamental interests of the Club - can be heard by the PTFC Board, Propco and prospective buyers.    He is right, and it needs to happen very quickly, and for fans to be kept up to speed on these discussions.

If this does not happen, and fans' interests were not properly and fully voiced, it would be an insult to the Weirs, who clearly set the PTFC Trust's shareholding to give the critical combined shareholding.

I hope that these talks have started, and if so, it would be good for us fans to know that.  As a fully paid up member of the Jags Trust, I have heard nothing from them.  Of course I expect no commercially sensitive information to be divulged, but a general statement would be very welcome.

Edited by eljaggo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok lets get a few things straight - did I have any faith in the previous Board - No - I was consistant in my views on this  for last Season - I honestly have No idea what they were doing being the Board of the Club -how the Club managed to end up being run by people who were not Fans and in numerous cases Supporters of other Clubs I have No Idea - could we have had at least as good ort better from our Fan Base - pretty sure we could ( btw not me )  - I seen nothing that convinced me they were taking us forward apart from lots of PR - as for Beattie promoting wtf are you talking about - Im for the Club being taken over - David Beattie is temporary - was he a Good Chairman - Yes - are those now in charge Thistle Men who put hard earned cash into the Club - Yes - do they have the track record in business  that gives me comfort on budgets and Financial Management of the Club - Yes - Im I comfortable with them getting a return on there shares - Yes 

Every one of them are from Working Class Backgrounds and through hard graft did well - they then put money into there Club when it was needed - thats what you do - how you have an axe to grind over that - No idea       If I have a choice between them and someone who picked six numbers - Im choosing them  - If I have a Choice between them and some random individuals who havent put in a penny and most likely support other Clubs - Im choosing them 

As for the Word "Snob" what are you 12 ? Grow up and maybe drop your big Chip on your Shoulder - I grew up in Possil - my hobby is  Coaching Athletics - so jog on pal - I honesty dont care one jot what you think of me 

However rather than sniping - go explain why you think the previous Board were better than this one - as for David Beattie - if you have an axe to grind - go tell the guy on Sunday    

I make my own mind up on things - I think the changes are for the good in the long term - thats it - you think otherwise - fair enough - but your petty wee snidey remarks are frankly a disgrace towards a fellow fan   - Im proud of my achievements in improving Matchday for Partick Thistle Fans - they will be around for Years to come    

Unless you know more than the rest of us I’m not sure what the basis is for being so unequivocal in your support of the takeover ... for most of us we want to know 

1 who are they

2 why ptfc

3 what’s the plan 

4. Their financial objectives 

then we can make our minds up 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

However rather than sniping - go explain why you think the previous Board were better than this one - as for David Beattie - if you have an axe to grind - go tell the guy on Sunday    

Couldn't agree more - beat me to the reply.

I was going to say that if the original post by TBR - especially the bit about JJ being a snob - was representative of this thread, then it's 99 pages of speculation and most of it wrong.

I grew up round the corner from JJ, and I can say that whatever you think about his opinions (and on the old board I agree 100%), the last thing he can be called is a snob; the last thing he will be thinking about is personal gain form Thistle shares.

As I said previously (and previous to TBR's post) some of the criticism seems inspired by petty and personal jealousy. Are Possil boys not supposed to do well?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

I, like everyone else on this forum, have no idea about what is happening with the possible takeover, and even less about the motivations of the prospective buyers.

However, one thing is clear in my mind, and that is that the two fans' trusts have urgently to start talking to each other in a serious way so that a united view and approach can be taken towards any takeover.   With a combined total of over 26% of the shares they are in a very powerful position to influence or even determine the outcome.

David Beattie has already urged the two trusts to cooperate so that the fans' interests - which are the fundamental interests of the Club - can be heard by both the PTFC Board, Propco and prosepective buyers.    He is right, and it needs to happen very quickly, and for fans to be kept up to speed on these discussions.

If this does not happen, and fans' interests were not properly and fully voiced, it would be an insult to the Weirs, who clearly set the PTFC Trust's shareholding to give the critical combined shareholding.

I hope that these talks have started, and if so, it would be good for us fans to know that.  As a fully paid up member of the Jags Trust, I have heard nothing from them.  Of course I expect no commercially sensitive information to be divulged, but a general statement would be very welcome.

Totally agree.

I have to say that the last JT statement, which appeared to support the takeover unquestioningly, without providing any answers about the buyers plans or proposals, disappointed me. I also think it fed the suspicion (rightly or wrongly) that there is a cliquiness which most fans feel excluded from, and further concern that the diligence around the takeover could be overtaken by personal gains.

I think the reference to "someone who can pick six numbers" was poorly judged and disrespectful to someone who has given a lot to the club. I can understand why it upset people. But I think we should steer clear of personal insults, whichever way they are being directed.

45 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Sorry JJ, you’ve defeated your argument with Board being fans etc , Beattie and co are passing our Club onto to people who have absolutely no knowledge of PTFC , they aren’t and never will be fans of our Club.

IMO , this is totally walking into the darkness.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

And some people will lap up anything without applying any critical assessment to the merit of the change.

Most of us though sit in the middle and would like some information about the intent of the investors and the short/medium/long term future of the club we have supported for a lifetime. 

Fair points.

I just don't think we will get sufficient detail in an open forum in that setting, and ultimately that will only be words anyway, and only the future will tell us if its a good deal or not. Its leap of faith time (again)

Interesting that that actions of Beattie in championing a takeover in which he gets his money back is considered more virtuous by some than a man ‘who picked six numbers’ gifting a load of money to the club and a wedge of shares to the fans with no expectation of getting anything back. 

Edited by ClydebankJag
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

Interesting that that actions of Beattie in championing a takeover in which he gets his money back is considered more virtuous by some than a man ‘who picked six numbers’ gifting a load of money to the club and a wedge of shares to the fans with no expectation of getting anything back. 

I think it's inevitable that personal relationships come into play, that trust is built between people etc.

The problem is that most of us are on the outside looking in, and have nothing but circumstancial evidence to go on.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Sorry JJ, you’ve defeated your argument with Board being fans etc , Beattie and co are passing our Club onto to people who have absolutely no knowledge of PTFC , they aren’t and never will be fans of our Club.

In fact it’s probably unlikely that mr Lee and mr Conway had probably never heard of Partick Thistle until a very short time ago

21 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

Out of likes but excellent post 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I fully accept that - there motivation is to buy it then sell it - at least that bit is clear - agree /disagree but its clear - its a Business arrangement  - fair enough - but for a Group of random individuals - a number of whom support other Scottish Clubs running the Club - sorry just dont get that on any level - I agree Beattie et Al are passing through  - but Im still far more comfortable with both them and the Future Owners than I was with the last lot    

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I think the reference to "someone who can pick six numbers" was poorly judged and disrespectful to someone who has given a lot to the club. I can understand why it upset people. But I think we should steer clear of personal insults, whichever way they are being directed.

Its a comparision - do I trust the judgement of guys who built Businesses  against a Lottery Winner - its as simple as that - its not disrespectful - its a fact - he picked six numbers ( maybe seven )  

41 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

In fact it’s probably unlikely that mr Lee and mr Conway had probably never heard of Partick Thistle until a very short time ago

Mat - but the point is we understand what there motivation is ? You might not agree with it - but it at least has a sort of logic to it 

So its simples - we are either Run from people from our Fan Base - or we are run with people with No connection but with a Business Plan and a track record - the other arrangement just didnt make sense from my perspective 

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Its a comparision - do I trust the judgement of guys who built Businesses  against a Lottery Winner - its as simple as that - its not disrespectful - its a fact - he picked six numbers ( maybe seven )  

It's a bit dismissive and I don't think it's gone down well. That's all I'm saying.

7 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I fully accept that - there motivation is to buy it then sell it - at least that bit is clear - agree /disagree but its clear - its a Business arrangement  - fair enough - but for a Group of random individuals - a number of whom support other Scottish Clubs running the Club - sorry just dont get that on any level - I agree Beattie et Al are passing through  - but Im still far more comfortable with both them and the Future Owners than I was with the last lot    

Do you know that their motivation is to buy it and then sell it (as a football club)? I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere, I don't think.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Unless you know more than the rest of us I’m not sure what the basis is for being so unequivocal in your support of the takeover ... for most of us we want to know 

1 who are they

2 why ptfc

3 what’s the plan 

4. Their financial objectives 

then we can make our minds up 

With all due respect thats for them to answer - I dont know anymore about the New Owners than anyone else _ I just like the fact they have a Plan and its changing the mould of Scottish Football - we are slowly dying - trundling along - we need change 

Just now, Jordanhill Jag said:

Based on there Model with NIce - buy then sell on at a Profit - Im ok with that 

Yes but are you just making an assumption based on the Nice model? We are not Nice. Nice were at the apex of the football "portfolio". We will not be. Therefore, while the intention may be to buy Thistle and then sell on at a profit, we don't know that that is the intention. We could be used as a feeder club to support the teams above us in their structure; I'm sure we could be used in countless other business and financial ways (which I don't understand) to support the wider structure, without it meaning that the value of Thistle is being enhanced.

If you are only making assumptions based on what this consortium have done previously with other clubs then I don't think you can confidently say that you know their motives. 

12 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Why is stating a fact dismissive ?    

Stating a fact is often dismissive, or disrespectful. I'm sure you understand this. I can spell it out if you'd like me to.

Edited by allyo

5 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

With all due respect thats for them to answer - I dont know anymore about the New Owners than anyone else _ I just like the fact they have a Plan and its changing the mould of Scottish Football - we are slowly dying - trundling along - we need change 

I’m not quite convinced of the slowly dying aspect Jim , bar a spell in the early 1970s we are pretty much in the same situation as late 70s, 80s,90s,00s,2010s - in fact that’s pretty much been the same for 50 years at least- wouldn’t call it dying- if anything I’d say we are healthier than most of the 1980s and 1990s

• admin locked this topic