New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

7 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

It was quite a brief meeting but the PTFC Trust don't believe they have enough info yet to make a decision as to whether they are in favour of the proposed takeover.

They have asked for a meeting with the reps from the consortium which David Beattie has said should not be a problem. The reason the Jags Trust had been consulted prior to the new board coming in was because Jacqui Low, Alan Rough and Gerry Britton were club reps on the Trust Board.

It was stated as well that the Trust had a very good relationship with the old Board and would get an update after each meeting of the Club Board. David Beattie has pledged to continue this.

Many thanks for the info FT.  Just to be clear, am I right in thinking that the Trust mentioned in your last para. is the PTFC Trust.  Also I was not aware that the Jags Trust had Club reps on their Board.

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Many thanks for the info FT.  Just to be clear, am I right in thinking that the Trust mentioned in your last para. is the PTFC Trust.  Also I was not aware that the Jags Trust had Club reps on their Board.

Yes it is the PTFC Trust I was referring to with regard to the relationship they had with the old Board. It is also the PTFC Trust that has club reps on their board not the Jags Trust. Sorry for any confusion.

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

You’ve obviously read the accounts, would you say the liabilities are expenses and wages ?( 130/140 k per year )

With Jaqui low , Michael Robertson and Gerry Britton on the Weir Academy Board sounds like we’re one big dysfunctional family .

I’m not sure where you can see Colin Weirs donations in the accounts .

Those negative figures would (I imagine) be equal to Colin Weirs donation each year to break even. As it’s small business accounts I cannot see a full breakdown.  I would imagine until such time it was self sufficient his income would equal any loss to ensure that no tax would need paid on a profit or capital at bank (ie not deposit £2 million in the academy accounts to let it run for 10 years).

Thanks for the clarification FT - having two fans' trusts is a confusing extravagance.   I hope that the PTFC Trust meeting with the consortium goes ahead as soon as possible, that the Jags Trust and their members are invited to attend, and that fans in general are kept informed of the meeting.

I know I bang on here about the two Trusts, but between them (26%) and the Weirs (10%), they account for over 36% of voting shares, and their opinions matter.

Edited by eljaggo

I have just emailed the Jags Trust to ask if they will attend the meeting that David Beattie said he would try to arrange between the consortium and the PTFC Trust, or whether they are seeking their own meeting with the consortium.  I have also asked whether Trust members will be able to attend such a meeting.

However I received the usual "not delivered" e-mail message, and hence this post.  Perhaps if anyone from the Jags Trust reads this they could respond.

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

I have just emailed the Jags Trust to ask if they will attend the meeting that David Beattie said he would try to arrange between the consortium and the PTFC Trust, or whether they are seeking their own meeting with the consortium.  I have also asked whether Trust members will be able to attend such a meeting.

However I received the usual "not delivered" e-mail message, and hence this post.  Perhaps if anyone from the Jags Trust reads this they could respond.

Those board members present on Saturday said they'd be happy to facilitate a meeting between a representative of the potential new owners and the Trusts' members - not just the Trusts' boards. Members of both Trusts' boards were present to hear that. 

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

You’d ambition knows no depths ......our current academy system is light years ahead of what we had before 

The point is that Mr Weir is not Partick Thistle - he has decided to take his Money away - fine - he can do so - but will we have a Youth Development Structure without him - Yes - will it produce decent Players - Yes - is it likely leaner - meaner- hungrier as a result of Mr Weir no longer being involved - highly likely - I think his departure makes us a real Club - we work within our budgets - we focus - we come out punching - he is gone and get that Stand renamed the Davie McParland Stand Pronto - it was a nonsense to call it the Colin Weir Stand - Jim Oliver was our biggest benefactor - where is his stand ?   Time to cut ties with Mr Weir - move on ...........  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The point is that Mr Weir is not Partick Thistle - he has decided to take his Money away - fine - he can do so - but will we have a Youth Development Structure without him - Yes - will it produce decent Players - Yes - is it likely leaner - meaner- hungrier as a result of Mr Weir no longer being involved - highly likely - I think his departure makes us a real Club - we work within our budgets - we focus - we come out punching - he is gone and get that Stand renamed the Davie McParland Stand Pronto - it was a nonsense to call it the Colin Weir Stand - Jim Oliver was our biggest benefactor - where is his stand ?   Time to cut ties with Mr Weir - move on ...........  

But thats in contrast to what the board members stated on saturday.  If the takeover does happen they said they hoped that in the near future Colin Weir would join forces with the Consortium as it would make for a more powerful Partick Thistle.

Just now, Third Lanark said:

But thats in contrast to what the board members stated on saturday.  If the takeover does happen they said they hoped that in the near future Colin Weir would join forces with the Consortium as it would make for a more powerful Partick Thistle.

Think they’re living in fantasy land , why on earth would Colin Weir put money into a club that is owned by a billionaire.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Well I disagree strongly with them - we should move on with things - so what happens if he did come back - then decided he didmt like something in the future then pulled his cash again - it cant work - move on get a Youth Set Up we control ourselves   

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Well I disagree strongly with them - we should move on with things - so what happens if he did come back - then decided he didmt like something in the future then pulled his cash again - it cant work - move on get a Youth Set Up we control ourselves   

If he wants involved - Buy us - take responsibility and have accountability " benefactor " has none of that  

Interesting that nobody has questioned the Jags Trusts involvement in the removal of the previous board. Apparently their share holding was used to force through the EGM that led to the removal of the old board. Were Jags Trust members consulted on this?

Who sanctioned their use?

Edited by jagfox

29 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

JJ - I don't see anything wrong with having a wealthy benefactor. Okay -  we need to manage the relationship but most clubs would love to have a wealthy supporter who is willing to invest. It seems folly in the extreme to jeopardize that. You seem to want us to be self sufficient when a few of us  welcome having additional investment.

This relationship can and did work until the recent souring of the relationship/

Edited by blakey

26 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Interesting that nobody has questioned the Jags Trusts involvement in the removal of the previous board. Apparently their share holding was used to force through the EGM that led to the removal of the old board. Were Jags Trust members consulted on this?

This is the first I've heard this. Have you a source?

27 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I’m not sure if their holding would be necessary as the 9 shareholders hold a majority on their own

• admin locked this topic