New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, jaf said:

I am not saying there is any debt.

Audited accounts are historic and factual. Budgets are future and predictions.

But we lived beyond our means in Season 2018/19. That will become apparent when the accounts are out.

6 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

From the Herald

ONE of the directors to survive last month’s boardroom cull at Partick Thistle has denied there is “anything sinister” about the club facilitating a takeover attempt by a Chinese-American consortium.

Malcolm Cannon says he understands supporters’ “angst and anxiety” regarding plans by the New City Capital group to purchase a majority shareholding in the Championship club.

But the Cricket Scotland chief executive, who only joined the Thistle board in April, believes a change of ownership would “give opportunities that wouldn’t otherwise exist”.

Cannon said: “The opportunities for the club with the consortium bid are huge. They shouldn’t be dismissed.

“If the bid succeeds I think it will give opportunities that wouldn’t otherwise exist. It gives the chance to work with other clubs with Barnsley and Nice also under this consortium’s ownership. That will help. It will also give the club a new release of energy.

“The consortium is still considering things. There’s no timescale on it. Inevitability something like this will cause supporters angst and anxiety. Change always does.

“From a football perspective I can’t offer any expertise but from a business perspective I know a bit about finances and running a business in terms of governance and process. I would say there is little to worry about from that side of things.”

Colin Weir, Thistle’s former benefactor, withdrew his financial backing recently due to “uncertainties about potential new ownership”.

Cannon said the club would now run on more prudent grounds but revealed the door would always be open for Weir to return.

He added: “You can’t run a business on benefactors. You can’t assume that gifts will continue to come in. The core business has to be sustainable and we now have a budget that reflects incomings and outgoing without Colin’s input.

“If Colin, at a later juncture, decided he wanted to partner up again that would be hugely welcomed. Hopefully the door is not completely locked to that in future. But at this moment in time we have to run a business that is sustainable with the income from gate receipts and other commercial streams.

“There is no debt in the organisation. We’ve got a budget for players that is acceptable. It’s not as good as some in the division but that is always going to be the case when you’re up against sides that have just been relegated.”

Cannon admits he is frustrated with the disconnect between some elements of the support and the board. He added: “It’s seen as the board versus the fans and I don’t get it.

“It’s almost assumed the board are trying to damage the club in some way. There’s an enmity there. But we are utterly committed to this. We do it as volunteers and are intent on doing what’s right for the club, for its sustainability.

“It may look wrong at times. And people may wish more cash was being injected into the club by wealthy individuals. That’s not me. But I’ll give my time, passion and energy, as will the rest of the board. We all care as much as any fan.

“So I don’t understand the feeling that there’s anything sinister being done by the board. We’re all on the same page. We just want to optimise the chance of those 11 guys in a Thistle shirt winning on a Saturday.

“The fans probably deserve better communication. That’s where we’ve maybe let ourselves down in the past. The best way forward is keeping everyone informed as much as possible.”

Cannon admits he was “surprised” to be kept on by new chairman David Beattie when Jacqui Low, Michael Robertson and Duncan Smillie were ousted last month.

“I take that as a compliment but also as a challenge as I’m effectively tarred with both brushes. I was a wee bit surprised to be asked to stay on but I don’t come with any baggage. I’m a Jags fan now but I don’t have an emotional attachment to how it was being run before. I can be objective going forward.

“The potential new owners might come in and want their own people and I totally get that. But if they asked me to stay on I would.”

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/17844153.partick-thistle-director-insists-nothing-sinister-potential-takeover/

At last, a well presented,  simple, common sense statement which gives clarity to the current situation.

As he admits communication from the board to the fans has not been good.  If only they had issued this 4-5 weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

At last, a well presented,  simple, common sense statement which gives clarity to the current situation.

As he admits communication from the board to the fans has not been good.  If only they had issued this 4-5 weeks ago.

Sorry, but I don't see any clarity here at all.

To say that communication with the fans has not been good is an understatement of such huge proportions as to be bordering on the ludicrous.

And to say that fans are experiencing concerns because "something like this will cause supporters angst and anxiety. Change always does" is frankly insulting.

We have no idea why the previous chairman was binned, why the current board was created, what their intentions are, why we can't afford to complete the playing squad, why we can't afford a team bus, what the consortium are planning, what the time scale for any of this proposed takeover is... 

But it's all okay because Mr. Cannon has now decided he's a Thistle fan and he knows how to run a business.

I've been an agnostic on this whole takeover issue up until now, but if this patronising drivel us the best that the current board can offer then maybe we should pray that Colin Weir has a change of heart and decides he'd like to own a football club.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

But has given no clarity on whether we had a loss last year or whether the plans for this year had a deficit built in.

2 minutes ago, scotty said:

The statement is just a report on what he said at the open day. He didn't give out much information then.  Why isn't Beattie making a statement?

Wouldn’t put much creedance on the article , mentioning Nice when I think it’s been sold to Jim Ratcliffe. 

So we’re talking about clubs like the calibre of Barnsley.

48 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Some of the criticisms of the last board which I agree with is that unlike previous boards the directors  did not pay for a seat on the board.  Gannon in that case presumably didn’t- will be interesting to see if gannon and the new directors are paying a fee to sit on this new board 

18 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Wouldn’t put much creedance on the article , mentioning Nice when I think it’s been sold to Jim Ratcliffe. 

So we’re talking about clubs like the calibre of Barnsley.

You beat me to it. I read that and dismissed the rest of the article as being lip service. If you are going to try to improve the PR, first step is to get the ****ing facts right.

Is Cannon part of a comedy double act? What a load of balls!! Absolutely nothing new in that statement other than to emphasise the fact that this takeover is far from certain to go ahead and it would be nice for Cannon to give his views on what will happen at the club if it doesn’t! 

Meanwhile another statement in the press today from a press pundit. Maybe we can get the Jag from Jordanhill to do the kissing!!

UNLIKE some Maryhill dreamers, I see no upside in the takeover of Partick Thistle by billionaire Chien Lee’s company.

After 143 years of independence, why would Thistle want to become a feeder club for Barnsley?

Players being forced upon Gary Caldwell and removed when it suits the parent company? No way to run any football club.

Jags chairman David Beattie should be breaking his neck to get former benefactor Colin Weir back onside.

If that requires Beattie to kiss the Euro millionaire’s backside, he should pucker up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

Not disagreeing with what he says especially communication not being good. Problem tho' is he's highlighting the communication breakdown when he's the least qualified of the directors to do the communicating. How many folk reading this are thinking is this David Beattie's view as well and in tandem with that, why isn't David Beattie making the statement?

Also he 's saying roughly what he said last Saturday. Eight days have passed since then and the Club/Board haven't deemed it necessary to issue even a synopsis of what was discussed on an open forum. Put another way, anyone who didn't attend has had to rely on those fans who did to get an inkling of what was discussed. That to me just highlights the lack of communication between Club and fan. Instead of a director coming out and saying to the press "The fans probably deserve better communication. That’s where we’ve maybe let ourselves down in the past. The best way forward is keeping everyone informed as much as possible” just ******* do it and certainly not thru the ******* media.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

So from his statement the benefits of this takeover amount to;

1. The chance to work with other clubs under this consortium’s ownership.

2. A new release of energy.

Is that all that he can come up with after all this time?

Edited by ClydebankJag

Contacted Cannon once while he was on charge of Cricket Scotland as state schools in the West who didn't have a pitch were getting ignored by clubs - was looking for some intervention - his mantra was growing the game at all levels. He didn't even have the courtesy to respond. 

Was subsequently told by one of his underlings that he was only interested in maintaining contact with private schools. 

Quality appointment by the board and a pile of shite in his statement. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandy said:

But we lived beyond our means in Season 2018/19. That will become apparent when the accounts are out.

Eh....he says there is no debt ! We had the parachute payment so how did we live beyond our means ? I take it that he thought the projected player budget was too high 

but let’s be clear this is another director blowing  a hole in Beatties financial mismanagement claim to take over .....we have no debt 

5 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Sorry, but I don't see any clarity here at all.

To say that communication with the fans has not been good is an understatement of such huge proportions as to be bordering on the ludicrous.

And to say that fans are experiencing concerns because "something like this will cause supporters angst and anxiety. Change always does" is frankly insulting.

We have no idea why the previous chairman was binned, why the current board was created, what their intentions are, why we can't afford to complete the playing squad, why we can't afford a team bus, what the consortium are planning, what the time scale for any of this proposed takeover is... 

But it's all okay because Mr. Cannon has now decided he's a Thistle fan and he knows how to run a business.

I've been an agnostic on this whole takeover issue up until now, but if this patronising drivel us the best that the current board can offer then maybe we should pray that Colin Weir has a change of heart and decides he'd like to own a football club.

Absolutely correct .....a content free vacuous piece of nothing .....communicating with the fans rather than the herald would be a good first step we could then help him understand why we are pissed off 

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Not disagreeing with what he says especially communication not being good. Problem tho' is he's highlighting the communication breakdown when he's the least qualified of the directors to do the communicating. How many folk reading this are thinking is this David Beattie's view as well and in tandem with that, why isn't David Beattie making the statement?

Also he 's saying roughly what he said last Saturday. Eight days have passed since then and the Club/Board haven't deemed it necessary to issue even a synopsis of what was discussed on an open forum. Put another way, anyone who didn't attend has had to rely on those fans who did to get an inkling of what was discussed. That to me just highlights the lack of communication between Club and fan. Instead of a director coming out and saying to the press "The fans probably deserve better communication. That’s where we’ve maybe let ourselves down in the past. The best way forward is keeping everyone informed as much as possible” just ******* do it and certainly not thru the ******* media.

I am not disagreeing with you but part of me thinks that if the fans were interested enough to know what is going on, we would have gone to the open day. I know - some may well have had other commitments.

Secondly, shouldn’t the fans representatives be keeping the fans informed ?

• admin locked this topic