New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

18 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

if the fans were interested enough to know what is going on, we would have gone to the open day. I know - some may well have had other commitments

You’ve just blown your own first point out of the water. Open and engaging communication  goes beyond only speaking to those that come running when you set a date and time. Lots of fans nearby weren’t there, simply compare home crowd numbers against those in the room, and don’t forget our fans that don’t live in the west of Scotland.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

You’ve just blown your own first point out of the water. Open and engaging communication  goes beyond only speaking to those that come running when you set a date and time. Lots of fans nearby weren’t there, simply compare home crowd numbers against those in the room, and don’t forget our fans that don’t live in the west of Scotland.

Well said

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sandy said:

But we lived beyond our means in Season 2018/19. That will become apparent when the accounts are out.

Something that I've been wondering is this...

The old board under Beattie stated following relegation that we'd be maintaining a premier league budget in order to bounce back immediately. That same board also made the ultimately unsuccessful and expensive decsion to keep Archie for the following season.

So even if we did live beyond our means last season, who is most responsible for that? It best there must be some shared responsibility.

15 minutes ago, allyo said:

Something that I've been wondering is this...

The old board under Beattie stated following relegation that we'd be maintaining a premier league budget in order to bounce back immediately. That same board also made the ultimately unsuccessful and expensive decsion to keep Archie for the following season.

So even if we did live beyond our means last season, who is most responsible for that? It best there must be some shared responsibility.

If there is no debt how did we live beyond our means ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

If there is no debt how did we live beyond our means ? 

I guess that if we dipped into our reserves, that would be technically living beyond our means without going into debt. However what are we supposed to do with the reserves if it is not used to avoid a relegation ? Maybe that is where the mystery £200k is. Perhaps the board wanted to take it out of the player budget and instead use it to replenish the reserves

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I guess that if we dipped into our reserves, that would be technically living beyond our means without going into debt. However what are we supposed to do with the reserves if it is not used to avoid a relegation ? Maybe that is where the mystery £200k is. Perhaps the board wanted to take it out of the player budget and instead use it to replenish the reserves

Well could be.....clearly we now have two directiors  saying there was no financial mismanagement and we are currently debt free....if the board are concerned about what fans think and want to improve communication cellaring this confusion up would be a good step

11 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Contacted Cannon once while he was on charge of Cricket Scotland as state schools in the West who didn't have a pitch were getting ignored by clubs - was looking for some intervention - his mantra was growing the game at all levels. He didn't even have the courtesy to respond. 

Was subsequently told by one of his underlings that he was only interested in maintaining contact with private schools. 

Quality appointment by the board and a pile of shite in his statement. 

Leaving aside the intricacies and politics of Scottish cricket you honestly expected a personal reply from the chairman? You must be a person of some importance to get your nose out of joint when only "underlings" get back to you.

5 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

I said that some wouldn’t be able to make it. Why such an aggressive response ?

What about my 2nd point ? Two fans trusts - did they send out a summary of the meeting to the fans. If they did, I missed it. If not, do they not have a responsibility to communicate as well - or even more so ?

15 hours ago, gianlucatoni said:

Contacted Cannon once while he was on charge of Cricket Scotland as state schools in the West who didn't have a pitch were getting ignored by clubs - was looking for some intervention - his mantra was growing the game at all levels. He didn't even have the courtesy to respond. 

Was subsequently told by one of his underlings that he was only interested in maintaining contact with private schools

Quality appointment by the board and a pile of shite in his statement. 

Funny you should say that. 

7 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not disagreeing with you but part of me thinks that if the fans were interested enough to know what is going on, we would have gone to the open day. I know - some may well have had other commitments.

Secondly, shouldn’t the fans representatives be keeping the fans informed ?

Yes to the your second point. That said it seems commonsense to me that the Board would want to iterate what was discussed, even just from a clarification point of view. If for no other reason it would avoid Chinese whispers.

12 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Yes to the your second point. That said it seems commonsense to me that the Board would want to iterate what was discussed, even just from a clarification point of view. If for no other reason it would avoid Chinese whispers.

Chinese/American whispers :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, javeajag said:

That is speculation and has been denied specifically 

As I said in the post, it was my opinion and one that I do believe is likely to have happened …. as far as the matter of >>> 'speculation' … I can see 123 [and counting] pages of speculation on this subject, on this forum!

This bit of Cannon's interview really irked me...

Cannon admits he is frustrated with the disconnect between some elements of the support and the board. He added: “It’s seen as the board versus the fans and I don’t get it.

“It’s almost assumed the board are trying to damage the club in some way. There’s an enmity there. But we are utterly committed to this. We do it as volunteers and are intent on doing what’s right for the club, for its sustainability."

The fans own a 25% stake in Partick Thistle Football Club; we're entitled to ask questions. If he believes the board and fans are in conflict then so be it, but I think it's natural to be sceptical when you're lacking detail. Simply saying "the opportunities...are huge" doesn't really cut it with me. 

Edited by Dark Passenger
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

Leaving aside the intricacies and politics of Scottish cricket you honestly expected a personal reply from the chairman? You must be a person of some importance to get your nose out of joint when only "underlings" get back to you.

I would have expected WofS, in a country where there are less than 8000 registered cricket players, that such a piece of correspondence would have triggered some form of response given that his inbox was hardly likely to be overflowing with mail on a weekly basis. 

I would also have fully expected that the matter would have been delegated and given some priority given that the schools organisation  had approaching 200 of the 8000 players represented at one point. 

The point being made he was at the helm of a dysfunctional organisation & now he's battering out platitudes as a director of Thistle. 

Apologies if I offended your previous wee sensibilities with the use of a particular word. 

22 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Really ..... so can you tell us how much the budget was and how much we overspent ? 

Think possibly Colin Weir has put a spanner in the works as the Club has now got to fund the Academy at least till the end of the season 

• admin locked this topic