New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

53 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The article doesn’t say why the herald contacted them ....I don’t think I need to spell it out for you do I and who said it was third hand ?

You did. You were told by someone who was told by someone. Forgive me if I don’t take what you say as fact, given your clearly impeccable source. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

You did. You were told by someone who was told by someone. Forgive me if I don’t take what you say as fact, given your clearly impeccable source. 

If you look at my post you will see I only mention one someone 

you can work it out 

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

ffs why couldn’t he say why he thinks it’s a good thing and how it would work ?

What he said is "The most important thing is that any potential transfer of shares is in the long-term interests of Partick Thistle."

He didn't actually say it would be a good thing, just not as bad as if it doesn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...

'Partick Thistle are a special club.' Alan Archibald said it, David Beattie said it, we all believe it to be true, but what does it mean?

For a lot of folk, Thistle's 'specialness' began at Cappielow when we scored and the players ran to the new interim manager to celebrate. Then it was 'we've got this' and Doolan and Erskine and Lawless and winning promotion and getting into the top six and kids in free and Kingsley and us just being, well, special.

But there's a lot of chapters in the Thistle story and that was just one of them. There was the phoenix-like rise from the Second Division to beat Rangers on the opening day and then put four past Celtic in one half to win the League Cup: what a chapter that was. Then there was Bertie Auld and losing training games to traffic cones and then Chic Charnley and samurai swords and John Lambie and then John Lambie and John Lambie again.

Lots of chapters, every one of them special, even the one with Dick Campbell in charge and an equaliser scored with 10 seconds to play, in off a defender's arse. All of them special. And all of them ran their course and we moved on.

Archibald isn't coming back, Doolan isn't coming back, Erskine isn't coming back, neither are Lambie or Charnley or McParland.

I understand why people talk about 'the soul being ripped out of the club', I really do, but I don't agree. Thistle isn't about Kris Doolan or Alan Archibald or anyone who was involved in that chapter of the club's story - it's bigger than that.

So what's the next chapter going to be? Gary Caldwell's Red'n'Yella army and promotion and a cup win? New manager [insert name here] rescues Jag's season? International consortium make Thistle Scotland's third force? Fans buy-out ensures future of a special club?

Whatever. What's past is past. Time to look to the future.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

'Partick Thistle are a special club.' Alan Archibald said it, David Beattie said it, we all believe it to be true, but what does it mean?

For a lot of folk, Thistle's 'specialness' began at Cappielow when we scored and the players ran to the new interim manager to celebrate. Then it was 'we've got this' and Doolan and Erskine and Lawless and winning promotion and getting into the top six and kids in free and Kingsley and us just being, well, special.

But there's a lot of chapters in the Thistle story and that was just one of them. There was the phoenix-like rise from the Second Division to beat Rangers on the opening day and then put four past Celtic in one half to win the League Cup: what a chapter that was. Then there was Bertie Auld and losing training games to traffic cones and then Chic Charnley and samurai swords and John Lambie and then John Lambie and John Lambie again.

Lots of chapters, every one of them special, even the one with Dick Campbell in charge and an equaliser scored with 10 seconds to play, in off a defender's arse. All of them special. And all of them ran their course and we moved on.

Archibald isn't coming back, Doolan isn't coming back, Erskine isn't coming back, neither are Lambie or Charnley or McParland.

I understand why people talk about 'the soul being ripped out of the club', I really do, but I don't agree. Thistle isn't about Kris Doolan or Alan Archibald or anyone who was involved in that chapter of the club's story - it's bigger than that.

So what's the next chapter going to be? Gary Caldwell's Red'n'Yella army and promotion and a cup win? New manager [insert name here] rescues Jag's season? International consortium make Thistle Scotland's third force? Fans buy-out ensures future of a special club?

Whatever. What's past is past. Time to look to the future.

Nice words for sure, but the 'look to the future' does appear to be suffering due to a certain amount of apathy and the apathy is I think a direct result of the boardroom uncertainty.

Added to the boardroom issues, the teams is playing either well, or hopeless ...............…. with nothing in between, from what I have seen so far this season, we are mid level Championship level at best. To compound this problem, we appear to have a well meaning manager who is simply unlucky

The third issue is the ground ... half of Firhill looks abandoned. Sitting in the JH stand, looking at the empty main stand and the bing at the city end gives the impression our best days may be in the past

So there is [IMO] 3 things that need to be fixed with PTFC > 1] fix the of the  board of directors.  2] the team needs to start playing like a promotion candidate team. and 3] Firhill needs serious work done to make it the arena it should be. 

• Like 2

A reasonable interview and Archie saying mostly the things you'd expect from a Club legend. Taking aboard much of what Firhillista says above. The past is the past and that's especially pertinent to this thread, which is about the future of the Club, particularly the medium to long term future.

The article merely dots the "Is" and strokes the "Ts" on what most of us understood at the time. Such as Archie's time as a Jags manager was up around the time of relegation, other off field changes affected such decision, Kris Doolan is missed, if only as a role model. Further there's been a lack of cohesive leadership and even with Beattie returning that may still be lost due to the principal reason behind his return. Regardless we are where we are now and it's the future that should be of far more concern than perceived errors in our recent past. 

I'll take Firhillista to task on one part of that post. Archibald, Doolan and Erskine will be coming back. When we're playing these European ties we'll need all the help we can get for hospitality and a host of other ambassadorial duties. :) 

22 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A reasonable interview and Archie saying mostly the things you'd expect from a Club legend. Taking aboard much of what Firhillista says above. The past is the past and that's especially pertinent to this thread, which is about the future of the Club, particularly the medium to long term future.

The article merely dots the "Is" and strokes the "Ts" on what most of us understood at the time. Such as Archie's time as a Jags manager was up around the time of relegation, other off field changes affected such decision, Kris Doolan is missed, if only as a role model. Further there's been a lack of cohesive leadership and even with Beattie returning that may still be lost due to the principal reason behind his return. Regardless we are where we are now and it's the future that should be of far more concern than perceived errors in our recent past. 

I'll take Firhillista to task on one part of that post. Archibald, Doolan and Erskine will be coming back. When we're playing these European ties we'll need all the help we can get for hospitality and a host of other ambassadorial duties. :) 

Pretty sure Doolan and Erskine will be back before we’re in Europe, possibly quicker than you think .

• admin locked this topic