New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

On 9/18/2019 at 5:30 PM, Semi Nurainen said:

Wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone least of all your good self, more to explain my lack of faith in some (but not all) fan's judgement. Leaving aside specifics, if you think manager A is a dud, but fans X, Y, and Z support him, you wouldn't want them running the entire club. Common sense.

Agree about uniting behind the interim triumvirate.

His sacking gives me a personal problem: I wasn't intending to go to the Pars game - had had enough - and said I'd take spouse out. Now desperate to go to the game, and will have to do a bit of crawling!

Stay in the house 

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2019 at 7:38 PM, allyo said:

Give them a chance. They're still looking into Ernie Walker's think-tank.

Not quite. These important matters take time.  The SFA haven't looked at Ernie's report yet.  They are still struggling with other issues of the day including professionalism, the introduction of goal nets, whether white balls should be used, whether substitutes should be allowed, whether shirt numbers are the way forward.  The possibility of live televised matches is causing particular concern.  Fears that such developments would reduce the attendance at money-spinning competitions such as the Renfrewshire Cup are particularly worrying.

• Like 2

Was talking about the take-over at work the other day and the theory developed that the consortium is using Thistle to test the water to see if they can get a joint ownership bid through the Football Associations. Wouldn't cost them that much money in their world. If it goes through then they got precedent, can dump Thistle and go on to look at bigger prizes. And if it doesn't happen they've lost nothing and Thistle can carry on as before.

Edited by scotty
missed a bit

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, Semi Nurainen said:

Wasn't meant to be a dig at anyone least of all your good self, more to explain my lack of faith in some (but not all) fan's judgement. Leaving aside specifics, if you think manager A is a dud, but fans X, Y, and Z support him, you wouldn't want them running the entire club. Common sense.

Agree about uniting behind the interim triumvirate.

His sacking gives me a personal problem: I wasn't intending to go to the Pars game - had had enough - and said I'd take spouse out. Now desperate to go to the game, and will have to do a bit of crawling!

Sorry I encouraged you to go to the game today. That was dire. If you are out with the spouse at least you will have a better night.

I was surprised GC was sacked this week, I accept the performance against Arbroath was dire, [notably, the corner kick routine laughable and embarrassing in equal parts] but for the board to wait till Wednesday to take this step was a puzzle. I can only assume they have already approached their manager of choice [Bunter] he has laid down his requirements to take the job and they have agreed.  Bunter to be announced as manager on Monday at 12.00???

4 hours ago, scotty said:

Maybe they didn't think binning Caldwell was the answer!

You're possibly correct. Based on absolutely nothing but comments from Caldwell and other players' throwaway utterances, they appeared to  appreciate his training regimen and attention to detail. It's not illogical to then assume that a player would think it's his teammates that are the problem. You can back up that assumption if you believe (as I do) whatever XI Caldwell fielded each player played in his own zone, concentrating (worrying?) about his own duties to the dereliction of basic playing as a team. 

Bit unfair admittedly citing yesterday but an example of this mentality instilled in our players was self evident. We started off brightly enough and caused Dunfermline a few problems down the flanks.  Obviously the Pars given time are going to change things to address any threat from our wide players. Not once in the first half did I notice the wingers change flanks. All the more galling as Cardle is far more effective cutting in from the left.  McGinty, who is after all captain, didn't think about driving forward with the ball during lengthy periods when the Pars were happy to back off. McGinty isn't too bad with the ball at his feet albeit when given enough space. As I say maybe sounds rather unfair referring to a game after Caldwell's left but I feel it's still representative of his coaching.

To me Caldwell's two major failings as a manager were over-coaching coupled with a lack of motivational skills. 

3 hours ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I'd like to see any potential new owners telling Bunter he must play Barnsley reserve players in place of his own choices.

Think they might find a jobbie in their shoes.

The Stevie Lennon signing always annoyed me, we were going ok and then signed him on loan. He was gash yet played every week, so was McCall forced to play him?

23 hours ago, allyo said:

So does this very popular appointment keep the fans happy, set things up quite nicely, and allow the current owners to sell off their shares to the highest bidder and sail off into the sunset with a slightly clearer conscience?

Too cynical? :head_ball:

I don't think McCall would have taken the appointment without serious reassures from the board about the future and any potential takeover. 

• admin locked this topic