New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Just now, javeajag said:

No....he’s funding Thistle For Ever ie a fans group taking over the club ....he is technically nit putting money into the club but gifting TFE cash to buy a majority of shares 

Yes …. but … when CW has funded PTFC interests in the past [the thistle weir academy] he had J Low on the board to look after his interest / investment. Would you not expect him to ask for something similar?

Just to explain …. The thought of CW helping fun a fans buy-out of PTFC is one, I believe, would be in the interests of the club and the community. What I don't like is the thought of another J Low type being added to the board simply because I think she, in the main, has been the reason for the last 18 months of utter misery within the club.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

No....he’s funding Thistle For Ever ie a fans group taking over the club ....he is technically nit putting money into the club but gifting TFE cash to buy a majority of shares 

No suggestion at this stage that he's gifting the cash. I think (should it go ahead) that the presence or otherwise of Ms Low on the board will give a significant indication as to the intentions behind this approach. At present, the fact that it has emerged first as a fully formed media 'leak' is not ideal. 

At the moment the shareholders now have two quite distinct offers to consider. As they have stated that their motivation is not financial it will come down to which one they think will serve the interests of Partick Thistle in the long term. It is possible that one might not actually even need to be considered dependant on the SFA.

There was a recent meeting with the Chairman, Thistle For Ever, the PTFC Trust and the Jags Trust. We were given updates from all parties apart from the Jags Trust. I don't want to give the impression that I am having a go at the Jags Trust but so far since the news broke about the New City consortium what the Trust Board has done is publicly back it without consulting the membership. The chair of the Jags Trust is also the chair of Supporters Direct Scotland - an organisation that seek greater fan ownership of clubs. It would seem rather strange if given a choice of fan ownership or a foreign consortium they would go with the foreign consortium option for their club whilst chairing an organisation which looks for the exact opposite!

Ultimately the decision will be made by those who hold the shares but I hope that they consider all the factors before making it. Considering we have spent the last couple of days expressing our happiness about someone making a decision which has been essentially heart over head I hope that is not lost on those making the decision.

Edited by Fawlty Towers
  • Like 1

It would be good is someone from Thistleforever could explain on this site how a fans consortium will run the club going forward? I get how they are looking to fund the purchase of the club but who makes the decisions on a day to day basis? Who fills the funding gaps if we hit a problem?

Looking at other clubs who have gone down the road of fan ownership, the person underwriting it financially is the chairman of the club. If Mr Weir isn’t keen on the publicity, it is logical that he would have a representative in his place. And his last representative was J Low. And she gave us Caldwell in addition to hissy fits when her communications were questioned.

Yes, there are lots of questions about the consortium in terms of governance of the club post takeover and their long term aims and plans. The same questions need answered by Thistle For Ever.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Looking at other clubs who have gone down the road of fan ownership, the person underwriting it financially is the chairman of the club. If Mr Weir isn’t keen on the publicity, it is logical that he would have a representative in his place. And his last representative was J Low. And she gave us Caldwell in addition to hissy fits when her communications were questioned.

Yes, there are lots of questions about the consortium in terms of governance of the club post takeover and their long term aims and plans. The same questions need answered by Thistle For Ever.

Agree with this . Sceptical about fan ownership - which fans , how are they accountable  etc etc 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I agree with askimg Thistle for Ever these questions but so far they have been so much more open than the consortium.  All we've had from theose supporting the consortium is "it will be transformational". So would two tons of gelignite going off in the centre circle at Firhill.

1 minute ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Nor do I, if it involves 'fans' like the dementer sitting behind me on Saturday saying he thought Caldwell was slowly getting it right.

Nor do I, it if it involves Low returning in any official capacity whatsoever.

I only want the fans who agree with me 

40 minutes ago, laukat said:

It would be good is someone from Thistleforever could explain on this site how a fans consortium will run the club going forward? I get how they are looking to fund the purchase of the club but who makes the decisions on a day to day basis? Who fills the funding gaps if we hit a problem?

This statement from the PTFC trust is pretty devastating and concerning ... Beattie says trust me but has done no due diligence on the potential new owners !! Is he having a laugh ?

Just now, javeajag said:

I only want the fans who agree with me 

I want fans who are sane. Anybody coming away with that pyshe on Saturday, this Saturday, isn't fit to be running the proverbial whelk stall.

We already know JLo isn't fit to run one.

I'll take a business head over the Bowling Club Mentality [q.v., (C) JJ] any day (one Judean People's Trust, one People's Front of Judea Trust, and another trust for the Liberation and Takeover of Judea …)

3 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

I want fans who are sane. Anybody coming away with that pyshe on Saturday, this Saturday, isn't fit to be running the proverbial whelk stall.

We already know JLo isn't fit to run one.

I'll take a business head over the Bowling Club Mentality [q.v., (C) JJ] any day (one Judean People's Trust, one People's Front of Judea Trust, and another trust for the Liberation and Takeover of Judea …)

Be careful what you wish for .... mr Conway 

The only way fan ownership, in my opinion , will work is if fans work together which would mean a single trust. If there is objection to this you have to question the motives of the objectors. Are they putting their own position and power in front of the good of the club? Fans getting involved in the trusts could change them though!

Edited by scotty

This has just been posted on Thistle For Ever's facebook page.

Thistle For Ever has made an offer to buy the majority of the shares of Partick Thistle football club, supported by Colin Weir.

The club is in possession of the offer, which was due to be made public tomorrow to ensure it was able to be discussed at Thursday's Partick Thistle AGM. However, as some of the detail is now in the public domain, we will publish the press release in the next 30 minutes.

Colin Weir’s offer has no strings attached. He wishes to see the club in community ownership and has also offered to the funds to buy the part of the ground that is currently not owned by the club. This would all be gifted to the fans. He is also keen to restart the funding of the Thistle Weir Academy. Again, this is with no strings attached.

We were delighted to hear Ian McCall say yesterday how important the club is in the community and that he wants to bring the heart back to the club. We completely agree.

My natural inclination is for fan ownership but fully agree with those who state that Thistle For Ever need to put details out there. It would not be fair of me, or anyone else,to criticise one group for not doing something whilst turning a blind eye to the other group doing the same.

I do have to have a little chuckle when I hear or read fans saying they are against fan ownership based on another fan having an opinion which differs from theirs. If the club were to be owned by the fans we could at least debate these differences and come to a decision. If we are owned by a consortium of non fans those differences don't just disappear but our opportunity to come to our own decisions does.

5 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

The fawning over Colin Weir who has given coaches their P45's in advance and dumping hundreds of kids out of football because he took the hump and refused communication is unsettling.

It might be if he had done any of that .... the academy is funded till the end of the season , we are about to be bought by billionaires in 3/4 weeks ... so bow the knee to Mr Lee 

• admin locked this topic