New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

So much of the proposed model is still unclear. Who will run the club on a day to day basis? What are these people’s credentials? Why were we told Weir wasn’t involved and now he is?

From that statement the phrase “the fans” seems to be getting used as a synonym for “the small collection of fans involved in Thistle Forever”. I am also delighted to see that the Partick Thistle Fans Trust appear to have awoken from their slumber. I am shocked - nay, amazed - though, that the supporters trustees appear to be siding with the same guy who enables them to hold their positions in the first place. 

There are so many question marks about the Chien Lee consortium. Of that there is no doubt, and Beattie et al have to provide more and better answers. 

But I’m also extremely suspicious of this counter-offer. Far too many alarm bells. 

6 minutes ago, scotty said:

This has just been posted on Thistle For Ever's facebook page.

Thistle For Ever has made an offer to buy the majority of the shares of Partick Thistle football club, supported by Colin Weir.

The club is in possession of the offer, which was due to be made public tomorrow to ensure it was able to be discussed at Thursday's Partick Thistle AGM. However, as some of the detail is now in the public domain, we will publish the press release in the next 30 minutes.

Colin Weir’s offer has no strings attached. He wishes to see the club in community ownership and has also offered to the funds to buy the part of the ground that is currently not owned by the club. This would all be gifted to the fans. He is also keen to restart the funding of the Thistle Weir Academy. Again, this is with no strings attached.

We were delighted to hear Ian McCall say yesterday how important the club is in the community and that he wants to bring the heart back to the club. We completely agree.

Well well

cat among pidgeons now....

has Beattie done due diligence on Colin weir ? 

Edited by javeajag

25 minutes ago, scotty said:

I agree with askimg Thistle for Ever these questions but so far they have been so much more open than the consortium.  All we've had from theose supporting the consortium is "it will be transformational". So would two tons of gelignite going off in the centre circle at Firhill.

Yes they have given us some background on how it came about and pledges etc.

But on future governance, there is no clarity - it will be decided in the next phase when/if  funding is agreed. I’d be amazed if they don’t have a plan in place already. And some words about fans being able to elect the directors. That’s a disaster waiting to happen. I went to the very first meeting of the Jags Trust and the majority of the night was taken up by people debating if there was a quorum and if a motion was needed for this and that. And a seconder. And thereafter the clique was formed. We don’t want to go down that road again.

• Like 1

It almost feels like we've made a successful pitch on Dragons Den and now have to choose the best option.

I'm genuinely stunned that this is happening.

If I win tonights' Euromillions, I might well be the third Dragon throwing his money into the ring.

Choose well Thistle, we're all routing for you!

6 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

. If the club were to be owned by the fans we could at least debate these differences and come to a decision. If we are owned by a consortium of non fans those differences don't just disappear but our opportunity to come to our own decisions does.

As far as I’m aware, fan ownership just means that you are contributing financially to the purchase of the shares. You don’t actually get a say in the running of the club - that’s what the directors do on behalf of the shareholders. 

Which is just as well, considering the broad range of opinions among the support!

4 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Yes they have given us some background on how it came about and pledges etc.

But on future governance, there is no clarity - it will be decided in the next phase when/if  funding is agreed. I’d be amazed if they don’t have a plan in place already. And some words about fans being able to elect the directors. That’s a disaster waiting to happen. I went to the very first meeting of the Jags Trust and the majority of the night was taken up by people debating if there was a quorum and if a motion was needed for this and that. And a seconder. And thereafter the clique was formed. We don’t want to go down that road again.

I think you can be negative by suggesting someone doesn’t have all the answers to your questions ...  the questions are reasonable but relating everything back to one trust isn’t reasonable ... what are the questions to the consortium who have said absolutely nothing 

And  Beattie admitting he doesn’t know who they are is alarming 

Edited by javeajag

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think you can be negative by suggesting someone doesn’t have all the answers to your questions ...  the questions are reasonable but relating everything back to one trust isn’t reasonable ... what are the questions to the consortium who have said absolutely nothing 

I was simply giving an example of what happened when some fans got together before - it’s a scenario I’d not want to be repeated. 

But yes, the consortium need to give us far more information. Whether that’s before the shareholders agree to sell is another matter.

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Is there a link to this which is not a screenshot of a twitter post?

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

I was simply giving an example of what happened when some fans got together before - it’s a scenario I’d not want to be repeated. 

But yes, the consortium need to give us far more information. Whether that’s before the shareholders agree to sell is another matter.

This is Thistle..,,

Thistle fan offers to bankroll fan ownership of club with no strings attached 

Thistle fans ... naw have you seen our fans !

7 minutes ago, Big Col said:

As far as I’m aware, fan ownership just means that you are contributing financially to the purchase of the shares. You don’t actually get a say in the running of the club - that’s what the directors do on behalf of the shareholders. 

Which is just as well, considering the broad range of opinions among the support!

The only way any individual can get to run the club is to have enough money to but a majority of shares and appoint themself as chair. Bur even then there will be other directors as checks and balances. At least fan ownership gives fans a say in who those directors and chair are.

1 minute ago, scotty said:

The only way any individual can get to run the club is to have enough money to but a majority of shares and appoint themself as chair. Bur even then there will be other directors as checks and balances. At least fan ownership gives fans a say in who those directors and chair are.

Not happening at St Mirren or Hearts as far as I’m aware, where the fans are paying their money but have no say in the boardroom. The chair is running the show and I go back to my earlier post about who Mr Weir will want to run the show on his behalf. And if he decides he wants Ms Low back in, there’s nothing we the fans could do about it. That’s one of my concerns.

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

I would like to see what the 5 year plan they presented tp the board looks like. If its a fans consortium surely they can share it with us?

I’m sure they will but to be fair can we also see the current boards five year plan and that of the consortium 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

Not happening at St Mirren or Hearts as far as I’m aware, where the fans are paying their money but have no say in the boardroom. The chair is running the show and I go back to my earlier post about who Mr Weir will want to run the show on his behalf. And if he decides he wants Ms Low back in, there’s nothing we the fans could do about it. That’s one of my concerns.

Agree with this.

Certainly the idea of a 'fan ownership' PTFC appeals more than a 'foreign speculator ownership' , but the devil is in the detail.

“A sustainable and certain future”. Neither of the parties can claim that. Still nothing about who will run the club and sit in the boardroom.

I’m not a shareholder so have no financial or material interest in this, but if I was a shareholder I’d be expecting both sides to be doing some kind of presentation on how they intend to operate the club.

2 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Not if the fans' organisation has a governance structure which  decides on one member one vote which would mean no one contributer could have any more say than anyone else.

5 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Colin weir has stated his support has no conditions 

Just now, Big Col said:

“A sustainable and certain future”. Neither of the parties can claim that. Still nothing about who will run the club and sit in the boardroom.

I’m not a shareholder so have no financial or material interest in this, but if I was a shareholder I’d be expecting both sides to be doing some kind of presentation on how they intend to operate the club.

More likely many of them will be looking to see who offers the most for their shares.

• admin locked this topic