New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

I think anyone going to AGM on Thursday better take a snack with them - it could be a long evening!

I think it is clear that there are strong opinions in favour and against both bids. Does either one have the answer to every single question we can come up with - no is the answer to that. What we can see though is a clear distinction between approaches. It is not like having two wealthy individuals bidding to take over and just having to decide which one sounds the best, this is two fundamentally differing options.

All I can do at the moment, like most others, is base my opinions on what has been presented to me by either group and remember that even if someone disagrees we are all Thistle fans and ultimately the important thing is the club having a positive future.

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’m sure they will but to be fair can we also see the current boards five year plan and that of the consortium 

Agree, I would like to see the same from all parties.

My instinct says fan ownership is a good thing but it'll rely on the capability of its leaders. I don't know any of them and I have no doubt they are well meaning but do they have any experience of running a football club or business of this size?

Conversely the New City Capital consortium have said nothing so all you can go on is what they are doing at Barnsley and to and extent what they did with Lyon. That doesn't give a lot to go on. Beattie hinted that they have plans to expand the ground which sounded hopeful but he didnt elaborate to any degree that would make you understand where New City make their money.

Right now I tend to more trust Dave Beattie but thats mainly because he was chairman for a succesfull period and has in the last few weeks made quite a few decisions that make sense.

The Thistle Forever bid could do with having a more recognisable figure fronting it, someone we could trust or to do open Q&A sessions so we could build trust with its leadership. It could also do with coming out and saying they will not reinstate J Low or any of the previous board.

Just now, javeajag said:

He doesn’t want any involvement after the club is community owned 

how about your 20 questions to the consortium ?

I’d love to be able to ask them 20 questions and I’m sure I’m not alone in that. But we can’t. But that doesn’t mean I can’t ask questions about Thistle For Ever.

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

I’d love to be able to ask them 20 questions and I’m sure I’m not alone in that. But we can’t. But that doesn’t mean I can’t ask questions about Thistle For Ever.

So far, in answering questions, Thistle for Ever a way out in the lead.

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

Yes but the impression your giving is one sided 

we know NOTHING about the consortium and our chairman has admitted he has done  no due diligence on them So who is he selling to? 

Ideally the club would move to 51%fan ownership, Beattie could keep his shares and remain Chairman given thus far has been a good and steady hand. No problem if the club then want to work with the Barnsley owners ( or they want to become a minority shareholder with a seat on the board) to develop players to the benefit of both clubs, or would that just be too easy? 

2 minutes ago, Juanito said:

Ideally the club would move to 51%fan ownership, Beattie could keep his shares and remain Chairman given thus far has been a good and steady hand. No problem if the club then want to work with the Barnsley owners ( or they want to become a minority shareholder with a seat on the board) to develop players to the benefit of both clubs, or would that just be too easy? 

I still think the consortium only want a joint venture between Barnsley and Thistle to create a precedent. I doubt the interests of the two clubs are that high on their agenda.

2 minutes ago, Juanito said:

The bit in bold is my ideal scenario. The rest is unlikely as I can't see New City getting involved unless they are in charge.

For those in the know - if the fan ownership bid goes through does that mean propco still exists and owns the stadium?

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Yes but the impression your giving is one sided 

we know NOTHING about the consortium and our chairman has admitted he has done  no due diligence on them So who is he selling to? 

And once we find out I’ll be one of the first ones to ask the same number of questions I’m asking about TFE.

Strap in for a rollercoaster ride!

3 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Agreed - and that’s the one main crucial area that we don’t have information on and won’t have until their offer is accepted.

There are plenty of models of community ownership in all areas of society which work well. The point is these are run for the benefit of their members who will in Thistle's case be fans.

4 minutes ago, Big Col said:

And once we find out I’ll be one of the first ones to ask the same number of questions I’m asking about TFE.

Strap in for a rollercoaster ride!

The difference is with TfE you'll be able to have a say in decisions. I very much doubt the consortium will offer you that.

So, there are now two possible futures. In the last two hours I have seen a lot about the TfE bid. More than I have gleaned about New City's plans in the previous three months.

Colin Weir's prior involvement with the club has been entirely altruistic. I have no reason to believe he would behave any differently. Change is coming. I know which future I prefer.

• Like 2

• admin locked this topic