New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

1 minute ago, BowenBoys said:

So, there are now two possible futures. In the last two hours I have seen a lot about the TfE bid. More than I have gleaned about New City's plans in the previous three months.

Colin Weir's prior involvement with the club has been entirely altruistic. I have no reason to believe he would behave any differently. Change is coming. I know which future I prefer.

The one where the alien with the wooly bunnet is chairman?

14 minutes ago, laukat said:

The bit in bold is my ideal scenario. The rest is unlikely as I can't see New City getting involved unless they are in charge.

For those in the know - if the fan ownership bid goes through does that mean propco still exists and owns the stadium?

I'm sure I read that Colin Weir would also fund the purchase of the areas of the ground not currently owned by the club.

Amazing gesture all round 

21 minutes ago, laukat said:

The bit in bold is my ideal scenario. The rest is unlikely as I can't see New City getting involved unless they are in charge.

For those in the know - if the fan ownership bid goes through does that mean propco still exists and owns the stadium?

No they would buy out propco

I get that there's lots of questions to be answered about all of this, but the only group apparently prepared to interact with the fans at the moment is Thistle for Ever. I've not seen anything from them that suggests they're hiding some agenda we'd all be concerned about. There's no doubt that fan ownership works - there's examples here in Scotland, down south and across the globe with Germany probably the best. My concern would be could fan ownership generate the kind of investment that the club needs to establish a position in the top league? Having said that, I'm even more concerned that New City Investment would treat us as a feeder club and as a means of unloading debt.

All in all, I'd want to hear more about both proposals, but Thistle for Ever look like the best bet at the moment.

Whatever happens, the status quo doesn't look like an option. Going to be an interesting season.

• Like 1

Colin Weir's support for Thistle has been phenomenal. For no personal gain.

He justifiably took the huff when the new guys came on the scene with promises that nobody really knows and he was kept in the dark about it. Now, as a Jags fan, he is worried about the club's futures and is offering to fund a takeover for ownership by THISTLE FANS.

It's that, or some vague promise of milk and honey by people who are completely alien to Thistle and who have stated explicitly that we would become a feeder club, playing colts of a team from another country.

I know who I will be supporting in this battle.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

The fawning over Colin Weir who has given coaches their P45's in advance and dumping hundreds of kids out of football because he took the hump and refused communication is unsettling.

Not strictly true , the Academy is still going , no one has been paid off yet !!, would think it’s still a road we should go down and build our own future with the youth players giving them a pathway to first team level.

2 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

He justifiably took the huff when the new guys came on the scene with promises that nobody really knows and he was kept in the dark about it. Now, as a Jags fan, he is worried about the club's futures and is offering to fund a takeover for ownership by THISTLE FANS.

It's that, or some vague promise of milk and honey by people who are completely alien to Thistle and who have stated explicitly that we would become a feeder club, playing colts of a team from another country.

I think the issue is that the consortium haven’t - as far as I’ve seen - said anything like that. The feeder team stuff has been put out by others and - in the absence of public comments on their plans - it’s been accepted as fact. 

My last employers BAE would frequently have what was called  road shows. The entire workforce would be in attendance and all future plans,developments, proposals were presented in a professional way. After the presentation the employees were giving the chance to voice their opinion and ask any relevant questions to try and achieve some clarity.

A similar exercise performed  by both bidding parties would be much appreciated as at the moment we are not getting the full picture, clarity, information in depth ,motives..etc etc. This is a critical period in the clubs history and both bids will have to be fully scrutinised before any decision is made.

5 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Totally agree , we’ve got at this moment a faceless investment company who aren’t really interested in PTFC other than a vehicle to try and make some money by I would imagine trading players, though I can’t see that happening at our level.

If the Club is going to be bought or shares sold , I would much rather have as Jordanhill Jag says “

Thistle minded supporters “ who have got the interests of the Club at heart .

46 minutes ago, scotty said:

I still think the consortium only want a joint venture between Barnsley and Thistle to create a precedent. I doubt the interests of the two clubs are that high on their agenda.

Barnsley's current league position doesn't do anything to refute your argument.

A Thistle For Ever takeover is on the face of it reversible should sometime in the future a trusted outside investor comes along . The proposed takeover from the Conway consortium carries the risk of finality about it. 

I don't know Paul Goodwin but I believe Alan Heron is involved with Thistle For Ever. Alan is most approachable and I'm sure he'd be able to answer a lot of questions raised tonight.

Thistle For Ever have posted this on twitter:

We appreciate that Jags fans will have loads of questions about tonight's announcement. We've always endeavoured to answer anything asked of us publicly or privately. We're collating your queries and will incorporate them into a Q&A doc to be released by the end of this week.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Totally agree , we’ve got at this moment a faceless investment company who aren’t really interested in PTFC other than a vehicle to try and make some money by I would imagine trading players, though I can’t see that happening at our level.

If the Club is going to be bought or shares sold , I would much rather have as Jordanhill Jag says “

Thistle minded supporters “ who have got the interests of the Club at heart .

So since the Thistle Trust are supporting the TFE Bid can you advise the value of the pledges so far received apart from the Weir Money - if as being suggested TFE Proposals are as popular as being suggested then Im sure there will be a large Number of Ordinary Fans behind it - if not its just a small group of Guys with a Twitter Account and Colin Weirs Cash 

Therefore who are these Fans representing ? Where is the demand from Ordinary Fans that we want Fan Ownership - who are they speaking fir when they  demand this 

Otherwise its just a Half Dozen Fans who have decided whats good for us with Colin Weirs Backing 

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So since the Thistle Trust are supporting the TFE Bid can you advise the value of the pledges so far received apart from the Weir Money - if as being suggested TFE Proposals are as popular as being suggested then Im sure there will be a large Number of Ordinary Fans behind it - if not its just a small group of Guys with a Twitter Account and Colin Weirs Cash 

Therefore who are these Fans representing ? Where is the demand from Ordinary Fans that we want Fan Ownership - who are they speaking fir when they  demand this 

Otherwise its just a Half Dozen Fans who have decided whats good for us with Colin Weirs Backing 

Still half a dozen fans more than the perceived consortium I would imagine.

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Still half a dozen fans more than the perceived consortium I would imagine.

Never asked you that - as a Rep for the Trust who are Supporting this have you asked for the Value of pledges without the Weirs Money as thats a tangible measure of support and Im sure you took into account support from the Fan Base on the TFE Proposals prior to Supporting it 

Can we not just organise a vote? Get the 2 proposals out in the open. Decide which we all like best. Wee ballot box in each of the stands at next home game. Bob's yir uncle, F@nny's yir aunt. Beattie accepts the winner as chosen by us goons. Overseas, no shows, fair weather fans don't get a say. If you want a vote, fly in from wherever you are around the UK/Globe.  Simple

Edited by The Legend Blows

5 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Never asked you that - as a Rep for the Trust who are Supporting this have you asked for the Value of pledges without the Weirs Money as thats a tangible measure of support and Im sure you took into account support from the Fan Base on the TFE Proposals prior to Supporting it 

Ok JJ....can you give us all the answers to all the questions you have for TFE for the consortium please ?  I get you don’t like community ownership so you should advocate why you support the investment company taking over the club .....we now have two possible futures but only one is engaging with the fans why is that don’t the consortium care about us ? 

• Like 1

• admin locked this topic