New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

16 minutes ago, Big Col said:

It appears that some people have decided that TFE is the best thing for Thistle based on limited information and sound bites.

I appreciate we’ve heard no detail at all from the consortium but with no detail from TFE how have some arrived at their conclusion they are the best for the club?

I certainly don't think there's enough information. But the idea of fan ownership is certainly more appealing. I think that's a natural reaction. Obviously might be heart ruling head, but I can't get my heart or my head around the venture capitalist thing.

1 minute ago, Big Col said:

Would it not be best to wait till both sides give details of their proposal before making an informed decision? 

Sure that would be nice .....except the consortium are going tell us nothing till they have control and then none of this will matter.... they have had what 3/4 months and have said nothing and refused to meet the supporters trusts ....they are here to make money for themselves that’s the beginning and end 

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Sure that would be nice .....except the consortium are going tell us nothing till they have control and then none of this will matter.... they have had what 3/4 months and have said nothing and refused to meet the supporters trusts ....they are here to make money for themselves that’s the beginning and end 

And to make money for themselves they need to make success on and off the park or nobody will ever allow them to purchase them again. They have a lot of work on their hands because we are no cash making machine at the moment even if they did sell firhill it is nowhere near worth their while in doing so.

Just now, Pinhead said:

And to make money for themselves they need to make success on and off the park or nobody will ever allow them to purchase them again. They have a lot of work on their hands because we are no cash making machine at the moment even if they did sell firhill it is nowhere near worth their while in doing so.

I can understand why you say that but it’s not necessarily true ....they haven’t been that successful with Barnsley on or off the park but have taken money out the club .....once they have had their 33% return on what they paid to buy us they won’t really care 

7 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Technically pay £1 million and sell Firhill for £3 million does make a profit- but that’s probably worst case scenario 

Just now, Auld Jag said:

I don know enough about the business dealings of running our club which is why I have not said a lot. Just one question, I take it us ordinary fans will have no say in who eventually owns our club, it will be decided by the current board, is that correct ?

Correctish.....the shareholders will decide and the board are effectively their agents as most of the board are major shareholders .....we won’t get a vote or a say 

2 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

That is my understanding.

Thanks FT.

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Correctish.....the shareholders will decide and the board are effectively their agents as most of the board are major shareholders .....we won’t get a vote or a say 

Thanks javeajag,

2 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I don know enough about the business dealings of running our club which is why I have not said a lot. Just one question, I take it us ordinary fans will have no say in who eventually owns our club, it will be decided by the current board, is that correct ?

That's true because the shares are theirs to sell to whoever they want.  I don't know if JJ's views reflect the board's but he's verging on "anyone who is not or has  nothing to do with Colin Weir" will be suitable owners of our club. And by the way it will never truly be "our" club without a fans buyout.

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok - First I have said I have looked at the Consortium - liked what I saw and Im comfortable David Beattie etc have the Clubs Interests at Heart 

What is the Plan behind TFE - why is Colin Weir backing them - why did he not speak to David Beattie but has decided to back these guys - No idea 

But my instinct says that TFE arent right for the Club - too much PR - picking the questions they want to answer - gone from No where to taking over the Club in couple of weeks - put themselves up as the Voice of the Fans based on not a lot - sorry its just not stacking up for me 

Genuine question - what have you managed to find out about the consortium that made you like it?

All I've been able to find is a few interviews with Paul Conway who outlines their player recruitment startegy and some articles on how they have made Lyon pay back the purchase cost with interest. Have you got other information you could share?

6 minutes ago, scotty said:

That's true because the shares are theirs to sell to whoever they want.  I don't know if JJ's views reflect the board's but he's verging on "anyone who is not or has  nothing to do with Colin Weir" will be suitable owners of our club. And by the way it will never truly be "our" club without a fans buyout.

Thanks Scotty.

4 minutes ago, scotty said:

Jim is big and ugly enough to speak for himself but I am slightly confused with some people's attitude towards Colin Weir. There seems to be a view that we should support the New City consortium because David Beattie says it is good. But at the same time David Beattie is saying he wants to speak to Colin Weir and would like to seem him back involved.

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Jim is big and ugly enough to speak for himself but I am slightly confused with some people's attitude towards Colin Weir. There seems to be a view that we should support the New City consortium because David Beattie says it is good. But at the same time David Beattie is saying he wants to speak to Colin Weir and would like to seem him back involved.

But why? If a consortium worth billions want to buy the club from the shareholders why would they want an individual involved? Doesn't make much sense unless David Beattie is trying to mitigate against a backlash if something goes wrong.

1 minute ago, scotty said:

But why? If a consortium worth billions want to buy the club from the shareholders why would they want an individual involved? Doesn't make much sense unless David Beattie is trying to mitigate against a backlash if something goes wrong.

Well hopefully there will be some answers, I am sure there will be questions, at the AGM on Thursday evening.

The comment below is from a barnsley supporters forum on a thread about the barnsley owners buying Thistle

"Alan Nixon at the weekend said Conway is looking to buy the club with Zuk. In past reports he said with Lee. If plans have changed it will add fuel to the fire of the rumours that Lee and Conway have fallen out."

No idea if its true but if it is there is no billionaire backing in the consortium so how are they funding the bid and how do they intend to recoup their outlay?

13 minutes ago, laukat said:

The comment below is from a barnsley supporters forum on a thread about the barnsley owners buying Thistle

"Alan Nixon at the weekend said Conway is looking to buy the club with Zuk. In past reports he said with Lee. If plans have changed it will add fuel to the fire of the rumours that Lee and Conway have fallen out."

No idea if its true but if it is there is no billionaire backing in the consortium so how are they funding the bid and how do they intend to recoup their outlay?

So we might be owned by someone called Zuk, lucky there is nothing I can think of that rhymes with that :whistling:

If it all turns bad I can imagine the chants at Firhill - Zuk, Zuk go away!

That's OK spending small change, to a billionaire but you don't get being a billionaire by losing investments. How Colin Weir is being made out to be a 'baddy' is an absolute disgrace. To be this is akin to a close family member coming into money, him giving you a share but you then falling oot because you want more. We all want to win but greed is unhealthy 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Who is backing the trust financially should Mr Weir not be around? Do we have any financial backers as in there comes some disaster and we need to stump up £100k right away, and financial disasters do happen no matter how well a business is run!

The Firhill Feminists Fund are sitting on a pile, given our enlightened attitudes to gender issues they’re sure to stump up. 

• admin locked this topic