New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

7 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

Why are actual, real life Thistle fans being held to a far higher standard of expected communication, governance and vision than  some bunch of secretive, shambolic venture capitalists? Seems weird to me but maybe some supporters have their nose out of joint that they weren't ballsy enough to devote the time and energy to this that TFE have already demonstrated their capacity for. I've pledged my ongoing support to them from across land and sea.

Another voice for fan ownership JJ. A few more and you won't be able to say there isn't a groundswell. 

I think the degree of challenge to the proposed fan ownership model is absolutely valid.

It's the unquestioning optimism around a capitalist consortium that I don't get.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scotty said:

Sounds like an e-mail to Off the Ball.  "I bet you wullny read this oot Cosgrove" :whistling:

How long ago was it you sent these questions to them?

These aren’t all from me, but a lot of them could be answered with a straight YES or NO,  ie is Low involved, others were answered but answer is vague and non committal “we propose”, how difficult is it to state 300 or 100 or 5000 have expressed interest?

A few of the vocal objectors on here to a fans' buyout  seem to be supporters of the consortium or at least have tempered their criticism of it. What I would like to ask them is if their objection to fan ownership is a general one? Are they against community ownership in princple or is it just Thistle fans wanting it? Or is it maybe the personalities involved in getting things started?

3 minutes ago, scotty said:

A few of the vocal objectors on here to a fans' buyout  seem to be supporters of the consortium or at least have tempered their criticism of it. What I would like to ask them is if their objection to fan ownership is a general one? Are they against community ownership in princple or is it just Thistle fans wanting it? Or is it maybe the personalities involved in getting things started?

I am against it for the reasons below...

1. We cannot run a trust so therefore cannot run a club, some of those involved in the buyout also were part of the trust and are part of the closed minded/shop brigade

2. There will be no financial clout behind this for players/stadia or to fix any disasters should they crop up

3. see number 1 over and over again a million times!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotty said:

What’s interesting is that no one is really putting forward a case for the venture capitalists but asking lots of quite valid questions about fan ownership not doing the same for the money men is concerning 

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

1. We cannot run a trust so therefore cannot run a club, some of those involved in the buyout also were part of the trust and are part of the closed minded/shop brigade

2. There will be no financial clout behind this for players/stadia or to fix any disasters should they crop up

There seems to be a misconception that fan ownership means a board coming from the fan base ... this isn’t true .... anyone can be appointed to the board just like now eg Dodds and Springford are not thistle fans 

reality check ... I hope you don’t think these money guys are going to put money into the club quite the opposite they are taking money out see Barnsley 

8 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

When you say "we" I take it you are/were involved in one of the trusts. If so what makes you think you can't run a club?

Just now, scotty said:

When you say "we" I take it you are/were involved in one of the trusts. If so what makes you think you can't run a club?

No i am not involved in the trust i meant we as in a fanbase. I wouldn't give the trust my money ever again, it is discredited and a busted flush. Tbh i wouldn't want to run a club unless i had deep pockets and could go all football manager on it lol

16 minutes ago, scotty said:

Firstly is it a true fans buy out? How many are actually interested in continually paying in?

From our fan base is it actually viable to grow the club

From history (Both Trusts) could it actually be run effectively 

From other clubs in UK show me one where true fan ownership has worked.

Yes I have concerns with the consortium too, but these (like Beattie, Allan etc), are proven successful businessmen 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

No they have not, they have answered easy sound bites with no real substance. Their website alone is in breach of data protection (GDPR) so is completely set up on plans drawn on back of a fag packet, they won’t answer clearly the following from various people on various media.

- How many people have actually signed up (Remember Paul stated when involved at Stirling 50000 “Fifty Thousand” had signed up)

- How will the first board be chosen prior to any election 

- Will Jackie Low be involved

- When did Colin Weir actually get involved as he is on record stating Weir was not involved 

- How will voting actually work (He stated hopefully 1 member 1 vote,  but not decided)

- Is Weirs money a pure donation or merely capital to be paid back (Motherwell, St Mirren method)

- As stated in press release “Colin Weir will play no part in the running of the club AFTER the takeover is complete” is that after the fans pay him back if the above point is same as Motherwell/ St Mirren model

- Will The democratically elected board be running the club unfettered from any major donor or their associates

- How will the required skills be brought to the board if (as rumored) anyone can stand

- Can he deny the (strong) rumors from Stirling fans that he’s placing himself on the board

All good valid questions. Have you asked the same of the consortium ?

Oh no ! You can’t

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Firstly is it a true fans buy out? How many are actually interested in continually paying in?

Yes I have concerns with the consortium too, but these (like Beattie, Allan etc), are proven successful businessmen 

If the fans buy the club yes. (unless the emphasis is on "true").

Maybe we should be looking at sustaining for now, rather than growing.

The trusts had no real role in running the club and I for one and am sure like many was lazy in not getting involved .

It's non-league but Enfield Town.

Thomas Cook was also a very successful businessman.

14 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

What concerns do you have about the consortium?

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Once they have sold they won’t be involved .....and what do you know about the money men .... nothing 

Just now, Third Lanark said:

What concerns do you have about the consortium?

What is the long term plan. The short to mid is said to be buy good young players from a massive scouting network grow them get them in shop window and sell them at a profit.

Is the plan to do this till £x is made then sell or to continue doing this

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

What is the long term plan. The short to mid is said to be buy good young players from a massive scouting network grow them get them in shop window and sell them at a profit.

Has this come from the consortium or the board of PTFC?

31 minutes ago, javeajag said:

There seems to be a misconception that fan ownership means a board coming from the fan base ... this isn’t true .... anyone can be appointed to the board just like now eg Dodds and Springford are not thistle fans 

This contradicts what Forever Thistle have stated, the board will only be selected from and voted in by those who have signed up and contributing, but this was prior to Weir financing it

6 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

‘ is said to be ‘ said by whom ? They haven’t said that 

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

This contradicts what Forever Thistle have stated, the board will only be selected from and voted in by those who have signed up and contributing, but this was prior to Weir financing it

One if the issues to be resolved ....I would hope we would be open minded on it 

11 minutes ago, scotty said:

If the fans buy the club yes. (unless the emphasis is on "true").

Maybe we should be looking at sustaining for now, rather than growing.

The trusts had no real role in running the club and I for one and am sure like many was lazy in not getting involved .

It's non-league but Enfield Town.

Thomas Cook was also a very successful businessman.

I see your posts are still spot on, very relevant, and up-to-the-minute.

Cook has been dead for over a hundred years.

6 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I would like the board of a fans' club to be a majority of and chaired by fans but that wouldn't preclude people being co-opted for particular skills.

Edited by scotty
spelling

• admin locked this topic