New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Spin, spin and counterspin. In the past two pages alone I've read a load of nonsense from folk presenting the case for both sides. God knows what I'd find if I was to look back any further. 

Best first to pretend you're Bill Murray, set your alarm for 6am and stick on Sonny and Cher singing I Got You Babe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jag said:

My goodness. Every few days I skim through this thread to catch up and then I wonder why I did so. It gives me a sore head.

Javeajag - You need to let it go. The personal vendetta thing is tiring. It is not healthy to be so angry all the time.

Personally, I don't trust either of the proposals/offers on the table. Fan ownership, if done correctly, could be a great thing but TfE relying on Colin Weir is just not healthy. With regards to the consortium, I have the same questions as just about everybody Thistle fan. I just don't get what they want with us. 

Anyway, it's been a strange thread. @Lindau is back from the dead and I actually liked a couple of Sandy's posts. What's that all about?

Unbelievable @Jag but most kindly received 

I know it's like picking at a scab, but the whole takeover thing is just like an itch you have to scratch because it won't go away...

Let's imagine that a few months ago David Beattie and the members of the former board are watching developments at Firhill with increasing concern as the whole Caldwell, Doolan, Low debacle unrolls. By some means no one not ITK understands, a billionaire backed international consortium indicates they'd like to buy the club. Beattie et al watch in horror as the approach is shrugged off by the Low board. Enough's enough, it's the last straw, they step in to take back control.

They like the look of the proposal - it's transformational - so it's put up to the SFA for approval.

And that's where we are.

There's now another proposal in place, lead by TfE and supported by Colin Weir, but we're still waiting for the SFA to pass judgement before any of this can move on on.

Given this thread's focus on unsubstantiated speculation, I'll guess that the SFA and the English authorities will say no. I think that the silence from the consortium is based on the expectation that this is going nowhere. A kite worth flying, but no real expectation of it getting off the ground.

Which will leave David Beattie and the current board with a conundrum: if the TfE offer is the only game in town, do they go with that? Or do they try to approach Colin Weir with an alternative proposal?

I think what we all want is for this whole thing to move - in one direction or another. Some kind of clarity might ease the itch. If anyone has Maxi's phone number, could they give him a bell and tell him to get a bloody shift on?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

With interest rates over the last ten years being between 0.5 and 3% and returns for  savers savers at historic lows then yes doubling your money in ten years.... we would all take that 

If you just had money in bank accounts then I agree it is a good return. However, if you had it invested in a medium risk portfolio of shares; bonds and property in the last 10 years you wouldn’t be far off doubling your money. 

17 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

If you just had money in bank accounts then I agree it is a good return. However, if you had it invested in a medium risk portfolio of shares; bonds and property in the last 10 years you wouldn’t be far off doubling your money. 

True. Put another way if you had a sum of money burning your pockets 10 years ago and your financial advisor suggested in PTFC as a low to medium risk vehicle for your funds, you'd fire him. 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Another avoidance answer

1. have you spoken to any shareholders about the deal

2. have they told you who us buying the club

3. have they told you their plans 

pretty simple to say no to all three 

Ok so Its No secret I have Know all the Shareholders 

Have I asked them about the Finances they are getting for there Shares - No - its none of my Business - But Ronnie & Norman stated they will not make a profit - so thats in the Public Domain 

Anything else I know the exact same regards the Consortium that has been stated to the Supporters 

Im not involved in the deal 

I think those involved are decent guys - all have stepped up over the Years and put in there own cash ( not someone elses ) I trust there judgement 

To date everything they have done since there return has been positive 

Do I want TFE Running the Club - 100% No 

My preferred option is a hybrid of existing Board and Fan Involvement - with a slow transfer over to  a Spanish Model over a number of Years 

Therefore Im not and never have been against Fan Ownership - The Model eg Stirling Albion etc is a Bowling Club 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Apart from Dunfermline none of them are owned by the Fans - and St Mirren actually has an Owner - No idea why its statedas Fan Ownership as its no where near it 

Are we now reduced to debating the 'purity' of fan ownership? I take it if the model in place at Hearts, Motherwell and St. Mirren aren't actually 'fan ownership' models, you'd be comfortable with something similar at Firhill?

Presumably, given your previous comments, the fact that St. Mirren has an owner you see as a positive - would you be happy to see Colin Weir play the same role at Thistle?

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Have I asked them about the Finances they are getting for there Shares - No - its none of my Business - But Ronnie & Norman stated they will not make a profit - so thats in the Public Domain 

Anything else I know the exact same regards the Consortium that has been stated to the Supporters 

I think those involved are decent guys - all have stepped up over the Years and put in there own cash ( not someone elses ) I trust there judgement 

My preferred option is a hybrid of existing Board and Fan Involvement - with a slow transfer over to  a Spanish Model over a number of Years 

Therefore Im not and never have been against Fan Ownership - The Model eg Stirling Albion etc is a Bowling Club 

A bowling club? Jeez no! They have more politics that Westminster with Brexit.

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

+1.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

A Bowling Club? Well that's me definitely gone off TfE. No way am I wearing an oversized blazer covered in badges. Besides I'm bound to spill pakora sauce down the white jumper.

Or your best frock, m’lady

3 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Are we now reduced to debating the 'purity' of fan ownership? I take it if the model in place at Hearts, Motherwell and St. Mirren aren't actually 'fan ownership' models, you'd be comfortable with something similar at Firhill?

Presumably, given your previous comments, the fact that St. Mirren has an owner you see as a positive - would you be happy to see Colin Weir play the same role at Thistle?

I think that the Model of Fan Ownership and those involved plays a massive part of its ability to deliver - the real danger is that you get a Dundee Model which falls apart - My mention of St Mirren is simply the fact that it keeps getting mentioned as a Model - where in fact it is owned by an individual and Fans have one Director on the Board - pretty much similar to a lot of Clubs - so its not - Motherwell sort of Fans with an Owner Hearts similar 

In Spain to sit on the Board of a Fan Owned Club -  you pay a Bond - and in some of the larger Clubs its significant - that means you pretty much have Boards of Business People - which is what we have at present - and it could be argued the Money they put in is being returned  as a Bond 

The advantage is - unless your serious - have the track record then you dont get to run the Club - now its not exactly inclusive - but this is a Business we are talking about NOT a Bowling Club 

So a sort of hybrid of that - Im comfortable with - but under No circumstances would I want TFE Running the Club 

As for the Consortium - we need someone to drive things forward - so its something that should be looked at and seriously considered - it will be up to the 55% Shareholders - they are all former Directors - Thistle Fans and wont sell us down the River - so I trust there judgement - simple as that 

The simple fact is that beyond Colin Weir we have run out of Fans with Cash & serious Business influence - even if Colin Weir buys us out - balancing the books is a serious challenge without people on the Board with Money or serious connections in Business      

18 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

As for the Consortium - we need someone to drive things forward - so its something that should be looked at and seriously considered - it will be up to the 55% Shareholders - they are all former Directors - Thistle Fans and wont sell us down the River - so I trust there judgement - simple as that 

So this consortium - we assume that’s the guys who bought Barnsley though apparently Chien Lee is not involved in buying us so it’s not clear who it  is - are going to do what exactly ? If we look at Barnsley their fans are unhappy, the finances haven’t been transformed and there is no evidence of anything very original .....

if it’s so great why can’t our shareholders tell us how ?

have people sold businesses and regretted it afterwards when the reality doesn t match the marketing spiel .....yes they have 

my concern is we have people doing the wrong thing for the right reasons 

5 minutes ago, allyo said:

JJ, you basically know very little but trust your friends to do the right thing? Is that about right?

I trust people who have put in there own Money into the Club when we needed it 

I trust people who have not let us down when they ran the Club ( and have put us back on a good track on and off the park since they returned ) 

They have not run to the Press or made a Drama - instead letting there actions do the talking 

The easiest ( and to a number the most beneficial given they have shares in Propco ) is to go along with the TFE Bandwagon and take the easiest and guaranteed return   as at best the Consortium deal id 50/50 

So rather than friendship I judge people by there actions  

Therefore given there actions to date - I believe they will do what they see as best for the Club 

At least three of them dont need the Money 

And if it was simply about Money - why haven't they taken the easy way out and sold quickly to TFE ? 

Beyond TFE being "Fans" who exactly are they ?   Who do they speak for ?   Who else is involved ? 

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

So this consortium - we assume that’s the guys who bought Barnsley though apparently Chien Lee is not involved in buying us so it’s not clear who it  is - are going to do what exactly ? If we look at Barnsley their fans are unhappy, the finances haven’t been transformed and there is no evidence of anything very original .....

if it’s so great why can’t our shareholders tell us how ?

have people sold businesses and regretted it afterwards when the reality doesn t match the marketing spiel .....yes they have 

my concern is we have people doing the wrong thing for the right reasons 

Well you know a number of them personally - why dont you speak to them tell them how in your experience in business  & how you should run PTFC -  they are getting it all wrong   ? 

• admin locked this topic