New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Well you know a number of them personally - why dont you speak to them tell them how in your experience in business  & how you should run PTFC -  they are getting it all wrong   ? 

Lots of people have sold football clubs to people they later regretted selling to.....some facts and information would be helpful but Barnsley mk 2 isn’t very appealing if that’s what it is 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, allyo said:

JJ, you basically know very little but trust your friends to do the right thing? Is that about right?

I know it doesn’t count for much, Allyo, but I trust JJ’s judgement here. And Norgethistle.

Sceptical they may be labelled, but cut them and they will bleed yellow & red. 

I’ve decided to give posting in this thread a break for now. Mainly because I see the arguments going round in circles and getting more personal as time goes ever so slowly by. I am getting more convinced by the day that the sale to the consortium is already a done deal.

I am a staunch advocate for social ownership. Not just for football clubs but in many areas of society. Land ownership, housing, community centres, leisure facilities and power generation just to name a few. I do believe ordinary people can run social enterprises for the benefit of the community they are a part of. We do not always need external experts or professional business people to run our lives for us. If we take the opportunity we can shape our own society to the way that suits us best.

So, to me Thistle fans owning their own club is a no-brainer and I believe it may be the only way for us to have a Partick Thistle we can continue to support and be proud of. We will be able to support our team to succeed on the pitch for footballing reasons and not because it brings a profit to shareholders whose only interest in PTFC is to make money. We want teams who do well and win because they are OUR teams and not because we can squeeze a bit more cash from the club. Football would be the biggest factor in our interest. Not just looking for a financial return by getting higher in the league. . We would be building and preserving the club for our children and grandchildren.

Much of the objections on this thread have become personality driven. The people behind the move towards fan ownership are disliked by some posters. Others have a dislike to other personalities and nothing they do will ever be right with them. Some have a mistrust running so deep they wouldn’t believe the time of day from any of the other side.

Then on the other hand there’s people who staunchly back the consortium purely because they trust the current chair and because he says it’s a good idea. They back his plans no matter how vague and indeterminate they are.

Well as I said I am all for fan ownership and as of yet there is no hard and fast template for how that would go with Thistle. But the fact is it is fans who will shape the future of the organisation which will run the club if they decide to go down that road. The more fans who become involved the wider the knowledge base to draw on. The more ideas there will be to choose from.

So if the TFE ideas do move on to a further stage I will be ready to step up to do what I can. But until then I will watch things unfold and I only hope that by the time things do become a bit clearer that it’s not too late.

• Like 12

This "transformational" New City Capital proposal, if the view of Barnsley fans is anything to go by, stinks.

I think some people on here have been somewhat seduced by words like "billionaire" and "business consortium".

They may be billionaires, but they didn't get to be that well off by pissing their money away on pipe dreams and vanity projects. 

According to Barnsley fans, they've injected zero money into their club.

So if they aren't chasing a dream of Thistle lifting the Scottish Cup and cracking Europe (which would be bizarre, as they have no connection with the club), what are they all about?

Nothing good that I can discern.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scotty said:

Then on the other hand there’s people who staunchly back the consortium purely because they trust the current chair and because he says it’s a good idea. They back his plans no matter how vague and indeterminate they are.

What an error of judgement it is to blindly trust someone else's judgement....

1 hour ago, sandy said:

I know it doesn’t count for much, Allyo, but I trust JJ’s judgement here. And Norgethistle.

Sceptical they may be labelled, but cut them and they will bleed yellow & red. 

Sandy, I don't doubt anyone's best intentions. When I ask questions it's not because I want to catch anyone out, it's genuinely because I want to know more. 

The problem I have is that the consortium, in principle, appears to go against everything that I would want for Thistle. And even beyond the principle, I really can't think of any foreign consortium coming into Scottish football, picking up an apparently random club, and making it sustainable and successful. Therefore my start point on this is naturally very negative.

For me, being positive about the consortium would be a huge leap of faith. It would require a huge amount of trust as it would go against all my inclinations. If I personally knew the current owners then maybe it would be easier for me have that level of trust. But I don't.

I don't distrust them. I just don't have personal link to help me overcome my natural concerns. Others have, and I'm glad they are reassured. But I think a lot of people are left feeling the way that I do.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

Will the site moderator please do us all a favour and close this thread, and close all future threads started on this subject until he or she believes that there are some salient facts on any takeover that we could sensibly and meaningfully discuss here.  180 pages of drivel.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

Will the site moderator please do us all a favour and close this thread, and close all future threads started on this subject until he or she believes that there are some salient facts on any takeover that we could sensibly and meaningfully discuss here.  180 pages of drivel.

I thought Mary Whitehouse was dead.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, eljaggo said:

A forum isnt just about debating facts as they are, but about opinions, whatever they are. Shut that down and you kill this whole site.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

A forum isnt just about debating facts as they are, but about opinions, whatever they are. Shut that down and you kill this whole site.

Agree it's about opinions. In eljaggo's opinion the thread should be closed.

Me, I just like hearing the "ping" sound on my pc when someone posts. Bit too much like the sound from my microwave but somewhat reassuring all the same.

Nurse!!!

• Haha 3

If you don't like thread don't go on it yes there is bitching and moaning but there is information as well in here about the potential take over everyone entitled to an opinion you delete this thread people will just use fB groups or pie n bovril

18 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I sympathise with your point of view, but rather than ask the moderator to intervene, it would be better that members of the forum, themselves, try to avoid repetitious argument that simply churns around the same-old / same-old argument.  180 odd pages of guff [and counting] ….. if you filleted out the pertinent points and the wise observations, and the odd joke, we could probably half that number.

5 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

In a f**kin retirement home for decrepit old men who think they're funny. But they aren't, I'm afraid.

You must be a young whipper-Snapper.

Once you achieve sufficient maturity you will appreciate the subtle deliciousness of a well-crafted pun.

• admin locked this topic