New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

For anyone on this forum to back the consortium or indeed tfe without the fullest of facts is essentially madness. For the smug posters who believe they are akin to god ( eg they can predict the future) they should be careful because backing a prospective house of cards is foolish. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Again all rumours. Again something you consistently tell others not to do. Unless you are on the board at Firhill  you do not know who was in running for the managerial job no matter when it was. Anyway I am not interested in the you said/ I said discussion you seem to get involved in a lot. We now have a manager in charge who will get us up the league and not fighting against relegation  play off until the last game of the season

it’s not rumour it’s the obvious fact that if you sack a manager before the summer you have more options than October ....it’s well recorded that a lot of the possible candidates were simply not  available when Archie went so our options were limited 

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

it’s not rumour it’s the obvious fact that if you sack a manager before the summer you have more options than October ....it’s well recorded that a lot of the possible candidates were simply not  available when Archie went so our options were limited 

Of course it is rumour. It is not obvious if you sack a manager before summer you have more options. Caldwell was out of a job for a year before we hired him. If we sacked Archibald after the play off defeat it is possible we could have still had Caldwell as manager. You say well recorded, i.e rumours.

Edited by Auld Jag

11 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

For anyone on this forum to back the consortium or indeed tfe without the fullest of facts is essentially madness. For the smug posters who believe they are akin to god ( eg they can predict the future) they should be careful because backing a prospective house of cards is foolish. 

Agreed.....but it’s got polarized for example I have always been a bit suspicious of the consortium simply no info or business case ....so TFE turn up and I post some info from them often without comment which is translated as all in all the way ?! the vitriol against TFE also needs to be examined as I actually dont understand it

but to simply say trust David Beattie he will do the right thing is just not good enough......who sold to Vladimir Romanov or Craig Whyte or Mike Ashley ? Businessmen one and all 

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Of course it is rumour. It is not obvious if you sack a manager before summer you have more options. Caldwell was out of a job for a year before we hired him. If we sacked Archibald after the play off defeat it is possible we could have still had Caldwell as manager. You say well recorded, i.e rumours.

You do ....most mangers are sacked around xmas and earl,y new year ....a minority are sacked before October .....look at the stats 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You do ....most mangers are sacked around xmas and earl,y new year ....a minority are sacked before October .....look at the stats 

Managers are sacked at different times of the year.  Who are the possible candidates it was well recorded we missed out on? Apart from Neilson cant think of any others. For the record, before I am accused of sticking up for Archibald I thought he should have been sacked after Kilmarnock beat us 2-0 at Firhill, with their Youth coach in charge. Any way as I have said you are going on rumours only.

15 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Just as an example, our previous manager has been sacked 3 times so far in his managerial career . One in October, twice in September.

Our national football team struggles to even get close to qualifying for World or European finals. Club teams make irregular and fleeting impact on the latter stages of European competition. At best a couple of our players can hold down a regular starting place  in a top English team and as far as I know no others are playing at elite level in other countries.

Meanwhile Scottish bowlers whether operating singly or in teams rack up stacks of Commonwealth and world championship medals, often gold,and hold their own in international tournaments.

Looks like our bowling clubs must be doing something right.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, javeajag said:

I am not seeing how it is obvious fact. Managers aren’t restricted in moving on to the same extent as players.  You might think that mid season the managers doing well will stay put - but we have just squashed that myth.

Also, wasn’t Robbie Neilson available last year but decided to go to Utd ? 

6 hours ago, javeajag said:

If we had taken Caldwell earlier, we would have been relegated. 

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Our national football team struggles to even get close to qualifying for World or European finals. Club teams make irregular and fleeting impact on the latter stages of European competition. At best a couple of our players can hold down a regular starting place  in a top English team and as far as I know no others are playing at elite level in other countries.

Meanwhile Scottish bowlers whether operating singly or in teams rack up stacks of Commonwealth and world championship medals, often gold,and hold their own in international tournaments.

Looks like our bowling clubs must be doing something right.

Cheap bars?

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Also, wasn’t Robbie Neilson available last year but decided to go to Utd ? 

Spot on. Neilson was first choice and had Archie been sacked a week or so earlier he'd have been appointed manager. In my mind he'd have done a far better job than Caldwell and would have been manager this season. But all complete conjecture. of course. As a Jags manager, Neilston may not have been able to sign McDonald, so maybe we would've struggled. 

It's also possible on the long run having Caldwell as manager may turn out to be a good thing. The damage done is repairable and it might well have been the wake up call we needed. A lot will depend on the levels of success we achieve under the new management regime.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Spot on. Neilson was first choice and had Archie been sacked a week or so earlier he'd have been appointed manager. In my mind he'd have done a far better job than Caldwell and would have been manager this season. But all complete conjecture. of course. As a Jags manager, Neilston may not have been able to sign McDonald, so maybe we would've struggled. 

It's also possible on the long run having Caldwell as manager may turn out to be a good thing. The damage done is repairable and it might well have been the wake up call we needed. A lot will depend on the levels of success we achieve under the new management regime.

We never approached Nielsen till after United had. Even though Archie was fired on the Saturday we waited till the Monday I believe, by which time United had pounced

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

We never approached Nielsen till after United had. Even though Archie was fired on the Saturday we waited till the Monday I believe, by which time United had pounced

I think the point was we should have let Archie go earlier then we could have been first for Neilson

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I think the point was we should have let Archie go earlier then we could have been first for Neilson

No. My point was, had Archie been sacked a few days earlier we would've got Neilson. Once Beattie decided to retain Archie (May 2018) I don't believe there was really an opportune time for Low/Britton to sack him any earlier than they did.

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

For the budget he has got not sure neilson is really a roaring success- would have been better than Caldwell yes but if he has been struggling 2 years running nearly on the largest budget in the division I don’t think he is as great as some may think 

• admin locked this topic