New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Aren't these guys supposed to be billionaires? We are (currently) a Scottish Championship club,  likely to receive no more than a couple of hundred grand for any young player we were likely to develop, and nineteen out of twenty players will always be of no saleable value at all.

Why would such a trifling amount of money be of any interest to these guys?

Would it be fair to say that those most opposed to the TfE proposal no longer support the consortium approach and would rather have the status quo?

Of course, given that the current board clearly want to sell, it's difficult to see how that's a runner.

Round an round it goes. We're still entirely dependant on what the board decide is best. If that's to sell the club to a group of venture capitalists, then that's what'll happen.

3 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Would it be fair to say that those most opposed to the TfE proposal no longer support the consortium approach and would rather have the status quo?

Of course, given that the current board clearly want to sell, it's difficult to see how that's a runner.

Round an round it goes. We're still entirely dependant on what the board decide is best. If that's to sell the club to a group of venture capitalists, then that's what'll happen.

It is public domain that most of the fans who are suspicious of the TfE approach would prefer the status quo, no question about.

The question is if the status quo cannot be maintained, which is the lesser of al the likely evils?

27 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

It is public domain that most of the fans who are suspicious of the TfE approach would prefer the status quo, no question about.

The question is if the status quo cannot be maintained, which is the lesser of al the likely evils?

I don't think that should be the question. Because it leads people to defend one possibility by simply trashing the other.

I'd much rather that both scenarios are honestly assessed on their own merits. If both are bad then so be it. We should be able to say that.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 3

The very word "consortium" should be enough to make anyone extremely wary. Besides I thought Heart of Midlothian had patented the rights to that word. Cross reference the words "consortium" with "Scottish Football history" and I very much doubt anyone will come up with a success story. Rather the opposite.

Off topic admittedly, tho' still on the use of a certain word, the Club website has this week disgraced itself not once but twice. I refer of course to the blatant use of the term "craft beer". There's no such ******* thing as craft beer, anymore than a tailor can be "bespoke", or a purveyor of meat can describe himself as a "family butcher" (unless of course he doubles as a deranged psychopathic killer). The term craft beer is pure marketing nonsense and nothing else. It should be binned immediately. It has all the authenticity of fun-sized ******* bananas. Btw I wouldn't object if the term Craft was an acronym for Can't Remember A F---ing Thing but it clearly ain't.

Anyway, rant over and back to the less pressing matter of new ownership. Come on, team, let's get this thread up to 200 pages before the next league match! :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get Beattie and Weir locked in the boardroom to discuss their differences. 

We potentially have a committed board and a wealthy investor both wanting the best for Thistle which would negate the need for an outside takeover and a reactionary punt at fan ownership.

Both parties have acted impulsively on the face of things but surely these differences could be laid to rest for the good of the club?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Well funnily enough you outsourced your vote to jj and he has supported the consortium....so I guess you do too 

Ok so lets stop the nonsense 

You have two options ( assuming no one is suggesting the the previous board was an option ) 

The Shareholders have decided to sell - now thats there right - so no one should be commenting or debating that 

We have Two options on the Table - the Consortium or TFE 

Now the Consortium bought Nice - and sold it for a Profit - they are no worse off ( despite there Fans Moaning ) 

Barnsley currently are No Worse off than they were when they were taken over - and Yes Fans are not happy - but they were happy when they got promoted  - so like all Fans they are fickle - thats Football 

So If faced with a Consortium with a Business Track Record and a Plan - I will choose them - as opposed to TFE 

Im not against a form of Fan Ownership - just not with TFE and by the looks of things the Shareholders are not keen despite it being to there Financial advantage 

So its not about anyone promoting the Consortium - its about deciding what is the more sensible route - ultimately thats the shareholders decision and they have clearly shown that its not simply about Money       

So for all your emotional nonsense - you havent woken up to the fact that there are two Choices - and Im certainly not choosing TFE  

Is there risk with the Consortium - Yes - but they are paying Money - they will want a return - therefore by default we have to run as a cohesive Business Unit - as opposed to a Bowling Club 

So unless you have a Plan C - stop  going on about the Consortium as its the only logical offer on the table 

Plus ReTweeting a few disgruntled Fans is hardly  an analysis of how things are going at Barnsley  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

You have two options ( assuming no one is suggesting the the previous board was an option ) 

The Shareholders have decided to sell - now thats there right - so no one should be commenting or debating that 

Now the Consortium bought Nice - and sold it for a Profit - they are no worse off ( despite there Fans Moaning ) 

Barnsley currently are No Worse off than they were when they were taken over - and Yes Fans are not happy - but they were happy when they got promoted  - so like all Fans they are fickle - thats Football 

So If faced with a Consortium with a Business Track Record and a Plan - I will choose them - as opposed to TFE 

Im not against a form of Fan Ownership - just not with TFE and by the looks of things the Shareholders are not keen despite it being to there Financial advantage 

So its not about anyone promoting the Consortium - its about deciding what is the more sensible route - ultimately thats the shareholders decision and they have clearly shown that its not simply about Money       

So for all your emotional nonsense - you havent woken up to the fact that there are two Choices - and Im certainly not choosing TFE  

Is there risk with the Consortium - Yes - but they are paying Money - they will want a return - therefore by default we have to run as a cohesive Business Unit - as opposed to a Bowling Club 

So unless you have a Plan C - stop  going on about the Consortium as its the only logical offer on the table 

Plus ReTweeting a few disgruntled Fans is hardly  an analysis of how things are going at Barnsley  

If Thistle are not in a desperate situation, and the current board are genuinely interested in the long term future of the club, then I'm sorry, this shouldn't be about the lesser of two evils. Every other club in Scotland hasn't been sold to vultures. No one is forcing them.

If the board wants to sell to the first serious offer, and they are not concerned about the motives of foreign venture capitalists with no apparent reason to want to buy Thistle except make money, then that is their right. But in the absence of anything to put my mind at ease I maintain my right to be worried about it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

1. They have a plan ? Can you let us see it ? No you  cant.. so I for  one am not assuming they have any kind of plan and if they do they current shambles at Barnsley should make us all worry.

2. They have a business track record ....really ? Can you point me to where I can look at what it is ? No you cant. Because they don’t have one other than selling Nice at a profit and pissing off  all their fans. It’s a consortium not a business.

3. Can you even tell us who is actually in this consortium? No you cant.

4. You keep going on about they are business people as though that makes everything alright and we should stop worrying....Mike Ashley ? Vladimir Romanov ? Craig Whyte ?  Business people sure but you wouldnt  want any of them near your club.

5. there is ZERO evidence that the moneyball  approach works in football and indeed quite a few people have written on the differences between baseball and football.

6. how on earth do they plan to make money out of us exactly ? A ‘cohesive business unit’ ffs meaningless utter jargon which I assume means rigorous cost control and no capital investment 

can you possibly imagine a football fan being emotional about the future of their club I mean how terrible

mind you we can all get excited by the new corporate slogan ‘no worse off’ yes motivating and inspiring which in our case means we should be happy staying in the championship....

PS some bowling clubs are actually very well run 

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

2 points JJ , not all shareholders want to sell to the Consortium/ Investment Company and if the Investment Company doesn’t make any money where are the contingency plans after that .

Barnsley manager sacked for wanting to sign experienced players.......welcome to the nuthouse  of moneyball

nIdc6sZ3_bigger.jpg

Stendel sacked for not conforming to the party line. Told club would not & never buy experience. Told to stop mentioning wanting experience in interviews. Last straw when he brought it up again on Saturday #BarnsleyFC

I'm not going to quote the nonsense that's appearing on here in support of the consortium bid - plenty of other folk have rightly picked it apart as the drivel it is.

Let's be clear, if we sell the club to a group of venture capitalists because they're 'business people' then we deserve all we get.  And what we WON'T get is a successful football club. At best, it'll be an incubation pod for young footballers who we'll get to watch for precisely as long as it takes to transfer them out for as much money as possible. Money which will then go to the owners, not the club.

To dismiss every concern about New City Finance as just fans being fickle is ridiculous. There's no evidence that these people have benefited either of the clubs they've been involved with! Why should we welcome them to Firhill? Because they're 'business people'?! They're here to make money, not to benefit Partick Thistle. And anyone who thinks the two inevitably go hand in hand are mistaking a financially successful company with a successful sporting organisation - they're not necessarily the same.

I'm sick to the back teeth of reading about people who 'aren't against fan ownership', but have done everything in their power to belittle and sneer at any attempt to put it in place at Thistle. Much as I disagree with fellow Thistle fans about, well, almost everything, I'd rather have Thistle fans owning the club than a bunch of money vampires.

• Like 10

• admin locked this topic