New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

41 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

We have a a couple of Tweets and and a Journo Report that said zero - they weren't complaining when they got promoted - so we have no hard evidence to suggest they are "Vultures " foreign venture capitalists" so Scottish ones would be of a higher moral standing ? 

Don't give me that crap. Scottish ones would have heard of Partick Thistle before, so they might have some reason beyond pure profit to want to own us. These people have no other reason that I know of, or that anyone else has explained to me, other than money

7 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Actually it is the point - our promotion squad was Young and Inexperienced and we dont know if they dont have "ANY" experienced Players - Southampton did similiar for the same Reasons and brought in Pochettino  and there previous Manager had been popular and got them promoted but wouldnt Play Young Players 

They don’t have any experienced players  a 28 man squad 3 at 26 4 at 24 and 2- players under 22 and  sacked a highly regarded manager who said without some experienced players they will struggle .....

So this is the grand plan  just play 18 year olds ?!!  

Edited by javeajag

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

It appears we have gone from the consortium being transformational in a positive way to the lesser of two evils and/or no worse off when they leave.

As concerns from fans of Nice and Barnsley are being dismissed let's see what a reporter with no axe to grind makes of it;

Andy Giddings, BBC Radio Sheffield sports editor

Many fans would blame the club's recruitment policy, not the head coach for the circumstances they find themselves in.

And Reds fans are angered that a popular, promotion-winning, manager has left at a relatively early stage of the season.

The use of a fairly brutal statement hasn't gone down well either.

Barnsley use a 'Moneyball' spreadsheet model for finding players. Not all of them are going to work and trying to make the ones that do arrive work in a harder division than League One was always going to be tough.

Sorry for my ignorance, I have seen this "moneyball"  word bandied about quite a lot lately. Can someone explain what it means.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Sorry for my ignorance, I have seen this "moneyball"  word bandied about quite a lot lately. Can someone explain what it means.

Thanks

The Moneyball thesis is simple: Using statistical analysis, small-market teams can compete by buying assets that are undervalued by other teams and selling ones that are overvalued by other teams.

22 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

If you've stooped to using a football journalist's rent-a-quote, you must be getting desperate. 

Just so we are clear on the rules of the game then - I don't want to stoop too low. No quoting fans of the teams who actually have experience of the consortium and no quoting journalists who have observed the clubs in question either. So that just leaves what the consortium have told us what they plan to do with our club.......

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The Moneyball thesis is simple: Using statistical analysis, small-market teams can compete by buying assets that are undervalued by other teams and selling ones that are overvalued by other teams.

Thanks. Doesnt sound transformational to me.

You look for bargains and cash in when you can?

"Moneyball thesis" ?- just sounds like a made up marketing term for what every club at every level does to a greater or lesser extent? 

1 minute ago, Emsca said:

Thanks. Doesnt sound transformational to me.

You look for bargains and cash in when you can?

"Moneyball thesis" ?- just sounds like a made up marketing term for what every club at every level does to a greater or lesser extent? 

It’s just using data and statistical techniques to identify players you think you can develop or buy  cheaply and sell at a profit 

looking at  Barnsley they have invested some of the profits from player sales and kept some for themselves 

nothing new about It ... why Beattie called it transformational I’ll never know 

59 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s actually not the point .....they are refusing at Barnsley to have ANY experienced players , sacked the manager who got them promoted and are struggling .....and today produced one of the worst statement on sacking a manger ever seen

they are just awful 

They have 10 players between 24 and 26 in the squad. Yes they have none more than that but that’s not a youth squad 

Just now, Norgethistle said:

They have 10 players between 24 and 26 in the squad. Yes they have none more than that but that’s not a youth squad 

Explain that to the manager they just sacked  and the Barnsley fans .... the strategy is turning over young players every season .... disaster 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Explain that to the manager they just sacked  and the Barnsley fans .... the strategy is turning over young players every season .... disaster 

We used to regularly giving players 1 year deals and having to rebuild in the summer. Usually with dregs like Pogba etc

We used to regularly giving players 1 year deals and having to rebuild in the summer. Usually with dregs like Pogba etc

It’s not  the same as literally turning over the whole squad is it ? And we moved away from one year deals didn’t we ?

make the positive case for selling to an ex Oppenheimer banker with expertise in restructuring Chinese companies 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Doesn’t tell us much except they are even more unhappy today 

If they hadn’t been on a 9 game streak with no win, maybe 2 or 3 places up the table they would probably not be moaning. Burnley fans were spouting about winning the Championship in July

Further info that Conway and Lee have fallen out and it’s only Conway now involved with this Zuk guy .....but I’m sure jj will tell us all....

‘It seems odd that we've not seen them together at a game in ages, they sold their joint venture Nice and the press have changed from them buying Partick together to it now being Conway and Zuk with no mention of Lee.’

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It’s not  the same as literally turning over the whole squad is it ? And we moved away from one year deals didn’t we ?

make the positive case for selling to an ex Oppenheimer banker with expertise in restructuring Chinese companies 

They sold 3 and released 4 from last season and signed 14 this close season 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Further info that Conway and Lee have fallen out and it’s only Conway now involved with this Zuk guy .....but I’m sure jj will tell us all....

‘It seems odd that we've not seen them together at a game in ages, they sold their joint venture Nice and the press have changed from them buying Partick together to it now being Conway and Zuk with no mention of Lee.’

Your taking this info of a fallout from where? A Barnsley forum

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Why is Paul Conway buying us a good thing ? Just state a positive case ?

Is it Conway or the Consortium. Barnsley fans were delighted in May with the deal, in fact even up to 2 or 3 games into the season. As with any clubs fans as soon as results drop the board and/ or the manager gets it in the neck

Is it Conway or the Consortium. Barnsley fans were delighted in May with the deal, in fact even up to 2 or 3 games into the season. As with any clubs fans as soon as results drop the board and/ or the manager gets it in the neck

Ok I’ll take that as you cant make a positive case so I’m not sure what point your trying to make 

Barnsley had a great season last year playing great football and winning g promotion ....the squad was gutted over the summer and they are now struggling.....why ? Because the financial return from player sales is a higher priority  than success on the park ....that’s the model 

• Like 1

• admin locked this topic