New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

7 hours ago, exiledjag said:

A couple of points

I see that the takeover includes specific areas of land - the South Terracing and the Main Stand (but not the North Stand or the JHS). What is the reason for this? Is it something to do with the Property Co. 

Also as a life long Jags Fan and sponsor of our Academy is there any doubt that Colin Weir has the best interests of PTFC at heart in taking over and securing the future of the club.?

As I understand it exiledjag, Propco owned the bing end and the old main stand.  The club owned the rest of the ground.

TFE sent this out this morning.....

The future of Partick Thistle as a community club has moved a step closer after today’s announcement that long term benefactor Colin Weir has bought the majority stake in Partick Thistle.
The deal, and Colin’s pledge to hand over the shares to fans is something Thistle for Ever warmly welcomes.
We set Thistle For Ever up to give fans a voice in developing a future for the club as community owned and we are delighted to announce that Colin Weir has invited TfE to join with the PTFC Trust in the new working group to develop these plans.
The number of community owned clubs is on the increase across Scotland. Stirling Albion, Clyde and Annan Athletic have recently been joined by Motherwell as owned by fans with Hearts, St.Mirren, and Dunfermline Athletic set to follow.
The generosity of Colin Weir to hand over his shares to Thistle fans gives Thistle a unique benefit.
The club will be debt free and, for the first time in over a decade, also own Firhill Stadium enabling the future to remain in the hands of people with the club at its heart.
There is now much work to be done to achieve that ambition but we are confident that this is the beginning of an exciting new era for our great club.
It is now essential that all Jags fans come together and start working for what will be a new future for the club we love.
Please look out for further communication from us in the coming days about how you can help shape our future.

Thank you to everyone who helped so far.

For me I think it is good news that this saga is finally coming to a conclusion. It can't have helped results, so lets hope that off field stability is reflected on field.

I wait with interest to see what his plans for the club are. If he is going to throw money at the team and buy us into Europe then I have a major problem. I have been publicly critical of the way that English football has gone and if we were to take the Millionaire plaything route, I would have great difficulty in continuing to support Thistle. My situation would be untenable. What I hope is that he will invest in the infrastructure, improve Firhill, Training facilities, corporate and fan catering, to improve the match day experience and with that, grow the support and the team holistically. (We can dream)

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

And what about non pledgers are we to remain in the dark? Great Coms, Jackie Lowe doing the brief?

If you send them your e-mail address I'm sure they'll send you the statement too. Otherwise you may need to wait till they update their web-site.

That's a fairly poor statement TBH which doesn't actually say anything nor answer any of the questions people will have. I suppose its only Day 1 of the takeover but you would've thought a number of the questions already submitted to them would be able to be answered.

While I welcome this development I still remain to be convinced that the fans can actually run the club, the type of people who will want to be involved I wouldn't want them to be anywhere near it - looking at some of the people who were on previous Jags Trust boards  who were only interested in promoting themselves and not actually doing anything to benefit the trust/club.

We need information on who they plan to put in place to run the club till at least the end of the season , does the current board agree to stay on to help or do they (quite rightly) walk away and leave them to it ? 

Again while I think this is good news its still a bit worrying for the long term future of the club, with under 300 backers there is not going to be much "extra" money coming in to put aside as a fallback. FOH have 8000 people putting money in ,  we should be looking for 1000 at least making a contribution. You can argue about break even budgets and while that's all good in a perfect world there will be scenarios where the "board" will need to find cash and this is where it will come from. 

Anyway lets see what other announcements we get today, might actually get some answers :)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

And what about non pledgers are we to remain in the dark? Great Coms, Jackie Lowe doing the brief?

?

Why wouldn't it first issue a communication to those who supported it? Those whose email addresses it has? 

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but TFE hasn't purchased the shares. So what would you expect it to say to the wider fan base?

2 minutes ago, Junior said:

That's a fairly poor statement TBH which doesn't actually say anything nor answer any of the questions people will have. I suppose its only Day 1 of the takeover but you would've thought a number of the questions already submitted to them would be able to be answered.

While I welcome this development I still remain to be convinced that the fans can actually run the club, the type of people who will want to be involved I wouldn't want them to be anywhere near it - looking at some of the people who were on previous Jags Trust boards  who were only interested in promoting themselves and not actually doing anything to benefit the trust/club.

We need information on who they plan to put in place to run the club till at least the end of the season , does the current board agree to stay on to help or do they (quite rightly) walk away and leave them to it ? 

Again while I think this is good news its still a bit worrying for the long term future of the club, with under 300 backers there is not going to be much "extra" money coming in to put aside as a fallback. FOH have 8000 people putting money in ,  we should be looking for 1000 at least making a contribution. You can argue about break even budgets and while that's all good in a perfect world there will be scenarios where the "board" will need to find cash and this is where it will come from. 

Anyway lets see what other announcements we get today, might actually get some answers :)

I think one point to emphasize is that we don’t necessarily need people to contribute financially at this point as Colin weir is gifting his shares .....other fans groups have had to raise funds to buy the shares we don’t need to do that 

5 minutes ago, Junior said:

TFE hasn't bought the shares, Junior. That information needs to come from the entity that's purchased them. A statement was presumably issued last night - I'd like to see that.

Just now, Dark Passenger said:

?

Why wouldn't it first issue a communication to those who supported it? Those whose email addresses it has? 

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but TFE hasn't purchased the shares. So what would you expect it to say to the wider fan base?

That’s a fair point and it’s easy enough to sign up using your email

as I understand it.....the details and mechanics we will be worked out over the next 3/4 months then the shares will be transferred to fan ownership and you would expect all fans to be involved in that if they want 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

as I understand it.....the details and mechanics we will be worked out over the next 3/4 months then the shares will be transferred to fan ownership and you would expect all fans to be involved in that if they want 

Aye, I've gleaned that much from what I've read on the BBC, etc. I'm assuming a full statement was released, though. That's where I think the substance would be.

I said on Twitter last night that I'd like to see the interim board referenced in the BBC piece hold a fan Q&A ASAP. The old board did it, so I'd expect it from any movement with fan ownership as its heart.

4 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

TFE hasn't bought the shares, Junior. That information needs to come from the entity that's purchased them. A statement was presumably issued last night - I'd like to see that.

Yup but that's eventually where its going to end up (I think) . As fans I think we  need to see that statement , the quotes from it seem to indicate that everyone thinks this is a good thing, still to be convinced.  Doesnt excuse a fairly woeful statement though (IMO) 

6 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think one point to emphasize is that we don’t necessarily need people to contribute financially at this point as Colin weir is gifting his shares .....other fans groups have had to raise funds to buy the shares we don’t need to do that 

Absolutely understand that but lets be realistic here that some form of contingency will need to be made available for the club and the only source is the fans. the quicker this gets off he ground then the better things will be. I suspect CW will gift some money to be held for this purpose but IMO we as fans need to be looking medium to long term for a contingency plan. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Aye, I've gleaned that much from what I've read on the BBC, etc. I'm assuming a full statement was released, though. That's where I think the substance would be.

I said on Twitter last night that I'd like to see the interim board referenced in the BBC piece hold a fan Q&A ASAP. The old board did it, so I'd expect it from any movement with fan ownership as its heart.

I'm not so sure an interim board would be able to hold a successful Q&A session. They're not in a position to give definitive answers as to the longer term. That was evident from the Q &A section of the meet the manager night. The board could give no details at all.

Just now, scotty said:

I'm not so sure an interim board would be able to hold a successful Q&A session. They're not in a position to give definitive answers as to the longer term. That was evident from the Q &A section of the meet the manager night. The board could give no details at all.

Perhaps not, but it can give us an overview of its remit, info on any immediate changes that have been made to the infrastructure of the club and a sense of the actions and timeline involved in the transfer of the shares to the fans. I'm sure folk will have loads of questions. If this is to work then they must start engaging with the supporters now.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Big Col said:

I’ll reserve judgment until I see who’s putting themselves forward to be involved,  and more importantly, what experience and talents they have that make them think they can make a positive contribution to the club.

That's fine but will you get involved so you can have a say in who gets to be part of the day to day running of the club?

16 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

?

You are correct - the original statement from TFE  was that Colin Weir was giving unconditional support to them to purchase the Club including Propco 

What has actually happened is that three Black Cats have purchased the Club - the Company and its Directors now own the Club 

The interim Board  are appointees of the Directors  of Three Black Cats ( which inst exclusively Colin Weir )  

Ultimate decisions on the Club on every level will come via Three Black Cats - this also includes any transfer of Shares and any conditions pertaining to there transfer 

The Statement from  TFE is jumping the Gun a bit - and for Clarity St Mirren are not Community owned neither are Hearts - they have an Owner ( just as we have) there is a long term aim of Community Ownership but the devil is in the detail 

Lots of people were completely opposed to the Consortium - and I honestly get that - however  we have a long way to go before  we see where we go and any deal of Fan Involvement is on Three Black Cats & there Directors Terms - they own us 

TFE & the Thistle Trust led this movement - they are ultimately responsible and are now Running the Club on a day to day basis - what emerges on Share Transfer is on them - so lets hope that there promises come to fruition and we dont end up as the Dundee Trust 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Perhaps not, but it can give us an overview of its remit, info on any immediate changes that have been made to the infrastructure of the club and a sense of the actions and timeline involved in the transfer of the shares to the fans. I'm sure folk will have loads of questions. If this is to work then they must start engaging with the supporters now.

I would think as an interim board their remit would be purely to keep things ticking over untill the changes are put in place so I wouldn't expect them to be making any changes at all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

But as you point out - TFE are simply like any other Fan - they dont own the Club - Three Black Cats do - so engaging with TFE is muted - its the Directors of Three Black Cats who will decide and Fans have no access to them 

Bit different from the original TFE Statements ?    

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

You are correct - the original statement from TFE  was that Colin Weir was giving unconditional support to them to purchase the Club including Propco 

What has actually happened is that three Black Cats have purchased the Club - the Company and its Directors now own the Club 

The interim Board  are appointees of the Directors  of Three Black Cats ( which inst exclusively Colin Weir )  

Ultimate decisions on the Club on every level will come via Three Black Cats - this also includes any transfer of Shares and any conditions pertaining to there transfer 

The Statement from  TFE is jumping the Gun a bit - and for Clarity St Mirren are not Community owned neither are Hearts - they have an Owner ( just as we have) there is a long term aim of Community Ownership but the devil is in the detail 

Lots of people were completely opposed to the Consortium - and I honestly get that - however  we have a long way to go before  we see where we go and any deal of Fan Involvement is on Three Black Cats & there Directors Terms - they own us 

TFE & the Thistle Trust led this movement - they are ultimately responsible and are now Running the Club on a day to day basis - what emerges on Share Transfer is on them - so lets hope that there promises come to fruition and we dont end up as the Dundee Trust

Where do you get this from?

Just now, Jordanhill Jag said:

But as you point out - TFE are simply like any other Fan - they dont own the Club - Three Black Cats do - so engaging with TFE is muted - its the Directors of Three Black Cats who will decide and Fans have no access to them  

I think you've misread my posts. I'm calling on the new owner/interim board to host a Q&A.

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I was against the consortium as is well known and supported Colin weir/tfe as the only other show in town as far as I knew....I have always been lukewarm on fan ownership

but we are where we are.....we should all now over the next 3/4 months get involved to make sure what emerges from the sale is the best it can be in terms of people, process , fan involvement and transparency so that the club is well managed and secure for the long term

30 minutes ago, javeajag said:

That’s a fair point and it’s easy enough to sign up using your email

The terms are those dictated by the Directors of Three Black Cats thats not what TFE stated originally ? Three Black Cats have never at anytime been involved ?   

• admin locked this topic