New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

I've stayed out of this debate as, to be honest, I didn't (and still don't ) understand the intricacies and complexities involved in a venture of this sort. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

Now, though, it appears we're reaching the culmination of several months of noise  and silence, in equal measure, associated with the process; and it seems that a sort of peace is breaking out. Whether the final deal, in terms of full fan ownership or an approximate model, will prove to be the holy grail we've been grasping at for over 30 years now, and delivers a long lasting sustainable club, remains to be seen. But, as a restless fan myself, burdened with worries and fears over the long term future of Thistle, I feel a sense of relief and at least part closure now to this long running saga.

I'll never know whether the consortium that planned to take over the club would've been the better, or best, option for us; I'll never know what their goal was, but the Colin Weir-led takeover, as now announced, does enthuse me. I'm rambling on now, but I do genuinely feel significant relief that we appear to have taken a very healthy step into the future for the wellbeing of the PTFC.

Proud to be a Jag.  

Edited by Blackpool Jags
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Who is on the new board?

Colin Weir plus 

Dr Charan Gill MBE is a well-known business entrepreneur who has spent most of his life working in Glasgow’s West End. From humble beginnings, he built the largest chain of independently owned Indian restaurants in Europe which he sold to focus on personal interests. His Ashoka restaurant were one of the Club’s first shirt sponsors and he has maintained close links with Partick Thistle ever since.

Ian Dodd retired at 60 to spend time travelling after a highly successful career acquiring experience and knowledge in a range of business sectors, including the motor industry, oil and gas industries, banking sector and corporate property/facilities. Ian joined Thistle’s Board in 2010 and over that period has had special responsibility for the stadium and facilities management.

Alan Caldwell is a graduate in Applied Economics, who worked in financial services for 13 years before joining the Civil Service in 2008. Over the past 11 years Alan has performed key organisational roles within government. Alan has been a Thistle fan for over 35 years and for the past two years he has been a Trustee on the Partick Thistle FC Trust. He is currently Vice-Chair of the Trust.

Andrew Byron has worked for an Investment Bank in Glasgow for the past five years and has a degree in Risk Management. Over the past two years, Andrew has been a Trustee of the PTFC Trust, initially as a Co-opted Trustee, then an elected Trustee where he held roles as Vice-Chair and most recently Chair. He has been a Thistle fan for over 20 years and has performed various roles at the Club, from ball boy to matchday volunteer and office worker at Firhill.

John Penman had a career as a journalist covering politics and business for over 25 years for the Sunday Times, Scotsman, Business am and Daily Record among others before joining Lloyds Banking Group in 2009 to oversee its corporate communications in Scotland. He has his own consultancy advising corporates on matters ranging from communications to public affairs to sustainability and inclusion. John was also part of the working group which set up the media regulations for the Scottish Parliament. He has been following the Jags since the mid 1960s, having inherited his support for Thistle from his late father who came from Port Dundas.

39 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

We will see ...........

Go look at Dr Marie Macklins twitter account   

According to Companies House Jacqui Low is still a director of Three Black Cats, the new owners. However, since she has not yet been named as part of the interim board then hopefully she will get nowhere near the running of the club or the PR.

If she is the yet to be named member of the interim board then that would immediately toilet much of the goodwill surrounding the announcement, given how unpopular and divisive she was as Chair.

3 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

The people mentioned in the statement on the club's website.

Ah what a nugget I am.  Missed that update on the site.  Got to say I have a lot of respect for the previous board.  Smart. Succesful. Brought me much joy with what they did 

Big fan of Charan Gill.  A superb capitalist entrepreneur.   Def need some more biz experience in there.

Edited by Lambies Lost Doo

5 minutes ago, flashman said:

According to Companies House Jacqui Low is still a director of Three Black Cats, the new owners. However, since she has not yet been named as part of the interim board then hopefully she will get nowhere near the running of the club or the PR.

If she is the yet to be named member of the interim board then that would immediately toilet much of the goodwill surrounding the announcement, given how unpopular and divisive she was as Chair.

Indigo are handling the PR for TFE and for Weir.  So she's already involved in that respect.

3 minutes ago, scotty said:

And is it worth setting up a twitter account to find out?

7 minutes ago, alexander livingstone said:

Pardon my ignorance who is Marie Macklin? 

Successful businesswoman and friends with Jaqui Low.  Dear God please not the return of her.  That would be terrible PR which at least would be consistent with her.

trust statement 

PTFC Trust Statement

The Partick Thistle FC Trust notes yesterday’s announcement by Three Black Cats Ltd (TBC) that it has purchased the shares from the majority shareholding group in Thistle as well as purchasing the assets of Firhill Developments Ltd. We welcome TBC’s stated intention to gift its majority shareholding in Thistle to fans and to immediately return the Main Stand and South Terrace to Club ownership.

With an Interim Board being constituted for the initial period, we welcome the fact that this Board will be filled by individuals from a business background, including Jags fans.

The PTFC Trust has now received a letter from TBC about the next steps towards fan ownership, inviting us to participate in a working group tasked with establishing what the structure of a fan-owned Partick Thistle will look like. We look forward to playing a key role in such a vital discussion. We promise to consult with our beneficiaries and the wider support to ensure that, given that the Club will ultimately be owned by supporters, they have a role in what it will look like. We will work with supporters of other clubs, both in Scotland and beyond, who currently own their clubs to share best practice.

Finally, the Trust would like to place on record our sincerest gratitude to Colin Weir who has, with nothing being asked in return, ensured a legacy for Partick Thistle which will last for generations, a legacy which will place the future of the Club in the hands of those who care about it the most, the supporters.

1 hour ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Successful businesswoman and friends with Jaqui Low.  Dear God please not the return of her.  That would be terrible PR which at least would be consistent with her.

If Ms J.Low is such a super PR guru, then surely she will have the wit to realise her having any new connection with PTFC would be a PR disaster?

Edited by douglas clark
Sexist language.

19 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You might be forgiven for stating that fact as she’s not ....

Low's company is doing the PR for Weir's takeover, she remains an adviser to Weir and is listed as a director of the company that now owns the majority shareholding in Thistle.  She might not be an interim director but it would be naive to presume she hasn't an involvement in all this.  John Penman is a founding member of TFE, as listed on their Facebook Q&A recently, and now sits on the interim board - presumably helping to facilitate the eventual transfer of shares.

So no, there's absolutely no official  boardroom role with TFE or Thistle for Low.  But there's a legitimate question to be asked over whether, especially in light of Macklin's tweet and its subsequent removal, she is directly or indirectly involved in what's happening. 

25 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

If Ms J.Low is such a super PR guru, then surely she will have the wit to realise her having any new connection with PTFC would be a PR disaster? The thought of that manky little woman being any part of the club again is unsettling.

She isn't, she won't and she wouldn't. Indeed.

In fact she'll be far too busy at present, campaigning alongside Boris for maintaining English rule in Scotland.

4 minutes ago, chapwithwings said:

Low's company is doing the PR for Weir's takeover, she remains an adviser to Weir and is listed as a director of the company that now owns the majority shareholding in Thistle.  She might not be an interim director but it would be naive to presume she hasn't an involvement in all this.  John Penman is a founding member of TFE, as listed on their Facebook Q&A recently, and now sits on the interim board - presumably helping to facilitate the eventual transfer of shares.

So no, there's absolutely no official  boardroom role with TFE or Thistle for Low.  But there's a legitimate question to be asked over whether, especially in light of Macklin's tweet and its subsequent removal, she is directly or indirectly involved in what's happening. 

She was appointed a director a 3BC in February when was chairman of the club and the training ground project was alive .... that was months before the conway bid or tfe being set up 

and in many ways it’s not that important as by the end of March the club will be owned by a new fans organisation that will not be tfe 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chapwithwings said:

No doubt she may be advising Mr Weir who is sitting on interim BoD but I can’t see her being officially listed. As Weir’s person on past BoD & also as a whatever title in 3 Black Cats then fair assumption to think she’s ‘advising’.

• admin locked this topic