New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

We were told on here by JJ that David Beattie would only sell the club if it was for the good of Partick Thistle and as such we no right to doubt or question the merit of the consortium.  Now that DB has sold the club to the entity that JJ was against it is being touted as a bad deal. It’s almost like there is an inherit bias lurking in all of his posts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaf said:

Para 1 - you could be right, but it is not a necessity so if you wanted to distance it from the former chair knowing the sensitivities around that, it could easily have been done. It was chosen not to.

Para 2 - agreed. But there are other circumstances and risks to that. Perhaps Tfe have covered them all off. We don't know the detail which is what my post said. I perhaps have a different attitude to risk to you- I have to look for it in my day job - but only the passing of time will say whether your confidence or my concerns were correct.

Para 3 - perhaps even less

Para 4 - I don't see how you can reach that conclusion which is btw entirely incorrect. I defend the right of the previous shareholders to sell to whomsoever they wish, and I state in my post that it could be an amazing thing for the club. I also say that he is free to put whoever he wishes in control of the club - not necessarily that I have to like it, and now that he owns the club if I don't like it then I can vote with my feet. But fundamentally I will tell you now, I am totally supportive of Colin Weir buying the club, and of Colin Weir passing ownership to a fit for purpose democraticised vehicle for fan ownership.  I am not dressing up anything - you can quote me on this - I have no issue with Colin Weir buying the club.

Para 5 - will you if it doesn't?      I don't see how anyone can complain if an idyllic solution is formulated and executed.  Perhaps the Trusts and TFE will communicate with the supporters to get a broad range of opinions to form the solutions. I will give you an absolute pledge Javeajag that should appeal to you greatly - you will hear no complaining from me if everyone is true to their word.

Then let’s both work together to try and make that happen 

For what it’s worth, my take is that Colin Weir’s behaviour in this matter is entirely consistent with his previous behaviour:

A previous poster queried why he hadn’t made funds available when we were in the top league or last winter when things were looking dire. But as far as I’m aware, all previous “investments” (donations?) have been of a long term, structural nature — paying off debt; maintaining the Academy; proposed training ground.

I’m sure there has been as hoc support behind the scenes, but at no point has the support been in the manner of short term funds to blow on overpriced short term player signings. In other words, it’s largely been about structural legacy support, not short term gain.

I view the share purchase and subsequent promise to return shares into a fan controlled structure in the same light.

Others may have inside knowledge to the contrary, but I’ve never seen evidence of self serving gain or him going back on public statements, so at present, I have no reason to disbelieve his most recent statement about fan ownership.

Yes, the eventual structure might not suit everyone, but to my mind (a) it’s his money and he has bought the right to make the decision on fan ownership / next steps; and (b) his past conduct buys credibility and goodwill in the short term while the detail is worked out.

The rest is largely unknown and will only become apparent in time.

(Bye the way, with all the talk of interim board appointments, I’m astonished that my phone hasn’t rung once in the last couple of days.)*

* Joke, for those unable to tell.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

We were told on here by JJ that David Beattie would only sell the club if it was for the good of Partick Thistle and as such we no right to doubt or question the merit of the consortium.  Now that DB has sold the club to the entity that JJ was against it is being touted as a bad deal. It’s almost like there is an inherit bias lurking in all of his posts.

Where have I said its a bad deal ? 

Pointing out who actually owns the Club is being against it how 

However the original Plan as stated was TFE Buying the Club with unconditional financial support from Colin Weir - instead we got a Limited Company with its own Directors buying the Club 

Ive made no judgments either way on the merits of this - so please stick to the facts 

It is a good thing that the uncertainty around the club that has lasted the best part of a year could be finally coming to an end. Hopefully Colin can communicate with Gerry and Ian and get a budget in place for January. After a lot of doom and gloom, I am cautiously optimistic about the future. 

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For me I think it is good news that this saga is finally coming to a conclusion. It can't have helped results, so lets hope that off field stability is reflected on field.

I wait with interest to see what his plans for the club are. If he is going to throw money at the team and buy us into Europe then I have a major problem. I have been publicly critical of the way that English football has gone and if we were to take the Millionaire plaything route, I would have great difficulty in continuing to support Thistle. My situation would be untenable. What I hope is that he will invest in the infrastructure, improve Firhill, Training facilities, corporate and fan catering, to improve the match day experience and with that, grow the support and the team holistically. (We can dream)

All of this. Excellent post.

38 minutes ago, stolenscone said:

For what it’s worth, my take is that Colin Weir’s behaviour in this matter is entirely consistent with his previous behaviour:

A previous poster queried why he hadn’t made funds available when we were in the top league or last winter when things were looking dire. But as far as I’m aware, all previous “investments” (donations?) have been of a long term, structural nature — paying off debt; maintaining the Academy; proposed training ground.

I’m sure there has been as hoc support behind the scenes, but at no point has the support been in the manner of short term funds to blow on overpriced short term player signings. In other words, it’s largely been about structural legacy support, not short term gain.

I view the share purchase and subsequent promise to return shares into a fan controlled structure in the same light.

Others may have inside knowledge to the contrary, but I’ve never seen evidence of self serving gain or him going back on public statements, so at present, I have no reason to disbelieve his most recent statement about fan ownership.

Yes, the eventual structure might not suit everyone, but to my mind (a) it’s his money and he has bought the right to make the decision on fan ownership / next steps; and (b) his past conduct buys credibility and goodwill in the short term while the detail is worked out.

The rest is largely unknown and will only become apparent in time.

(Bye the way, with all the talk of interim board appointments, I’m astonished that my phone hasn’t rung once in the last couple of days.)*

* Joke, for those unable to tell.

Very fair summary.

1 minute ago, avie-man said:

Right so we own Firhill in full again, but now what?

I'd like to see some sort of plan for the disaster that is the bing and also for the future of the main stand. 

I think there must be wild animals lurking behind the advertising hoarding on the bing, going by the reluctance of ball boys to venture there.

So no training ground now (according to the other thread). Was this not a promise that would happen under a previous board and when Colin Weir entered back into the frame?

So far today we’ve had the following contradictions to what we’ve been told.

TFE would have the club and set a company up (in great publicity) to do so, no 3 black cats do

Jackie Low was not involved, turns out she’s been there from the start going with her friends tweet.

We were going to have our own training complex, no we will utilize an existing community one.

6 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

So no training ground now (according to the other thread). Was this not a promise that would happen under a previous board and when Colin Weir entered back into the frame?

TFE would have the club and set a company up (in great publicity) to do so, no 3 black cats do

Jackie Low was not involved, turns out she’s been there from the start going with her friends tweet.

We were going to have our own training complex, no we will utilize an existing community one.

It is rather concerning.

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Thre statements and all of them wrong! TFE were not setting up a company or having the club. Jacqui Low's friend's tweet said she was back, then was deleted and the training ground was going to be developed by 3BC and Thistle would rent it.

1 minute ago, scotty said:

Thre statements and all of them wrong! TFE were not setting up a company or having the club. Jacqui Low's friend's tweet said she was back, then was deleted and the training ground was going to be developed by 3BC and Thistle would rent it.

TFE set up a company that is fact

The tweet was there, it’s been doing the rounds before someone asked her to remove it.

It was going to be dedicated to Thistle (I don’t believe we needed it), and now we are doing what we were doing but in a different location 

25 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

That is your interpretation of very partial information I have given you to suit your own slightly worrying posture ....I actually said we would have exclusive use of the facility during the day 

your second point was overtaken by the event of Colin weir indicating he would fund a fan ownership solution which changed the approach tfe initially outlined 

You have no evidence jlow is involved except a deleted tweet which referred to 3BC taking over the club which they have 

finally tfe is going to disappear 

2 hours ago, stolenscone said:

...at no point has the support been in the manner of short term funds to blow on overpriced short term player signings...

Pity, really - it would have been nice to see Zlatan in the red and yellow. Alternatively, a player-owner might have been an interesting innovation in Scottish football. :lol:

• admin locked this topic