New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

2 minutes ago, laukat said:

If true is this one of the reasons the current board was unhappy with the Jlow board's financial approach?

A 2 year rolling deal at our level for a manager that has a less than stunning maangerial record would be verging on incompetent.

Doubt very much it’s a 2 year rolling contract, for example Neil Lennon is on a 1 year rolling contract.

Probably nearer a 1 yr rolling contract if even that for Caldwell .

1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

If you're going to quote me, make sure you get it right.

The word 'prediction' was never used in either AJ's post or mine: you introduced it.

Don't really understand the 'couldn't stand Archibald' bit - seems completely irrelevant to Caldwell's abysmal performance. 

My point was that there were quite a lot of us who would have been glad to see Caldwell depart at the end of last season and repalcedby a more competent manager, the very same people who 'would have thought' (that was the original wording)  we'd struggle this year. Some of us have stayed our hand in terms of criticism to give Caldwell some slack, it didn't in any way signify a change in our perception of the man,  but after last night's performance ...

However when it comes to an actual 'prediction ' I said somewhere between 5th and 8th, but definitely closer to the bottom in terms of points. Based again on our league performance to date, I clearly erred too much on the optimistic side. But if that's not 'struggling' (for a club with 'promotion' ambitions) I really don't know what is.

Five wrong out of five; try again.

This, to me, is the very definition of a prediction, but I cannot be f**ked arguing with you because you missed the entire point of my post. Here's a little hint for you, however:

"Who would have thought when we started season 2017/18 we would be in the position we are in today ?"

"Frankly AJ, quite a lot of us"

Can you read what season is being referred to? 2017-18 - the season that began with Alan Archibald as manager in the Scottish Premiership?

You, and "quite a lot of us" thought that by the start of THIS SEASON we'd be struggling under a different manager in the Championship?

Don't give me your patronizing "try again" shite when you cannot read yourself.

So why don't you try this - go away and pluck your head out of your own arse, and shove your petty point-scoring about semantics up there instead.

The length of contract could and should be irrelevant. I'm sure he didn't get the job because he was the right man to guide us clear of the relegation play offs. Albeit misguided, his confidence to turn the ship around with the squad he inherited was most evidently a contributory ingredient to him getting the appointment. So regardless whether it was unfair or unrealistic not getting us promoted, or even just into the play offs, it should have impacted negatively on his contract. Besides all that Caldwell at time of appointment was hardly in a position to negotiate some sort of an unconditional contract.

The only worrying thing is I'm well aware of the difference between could and should, especially when there's anything to do with Thistle involved.

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Doubt very much it’s a 2 year rolling contract, for example Neil Lennon is on a 1 year rolling contract.

It was mentioned 2yr at point of signing, what I’ve heard is he insisted on it being rolling.

1 hour ago, West of Scotland said:

This, to me, is the very definition of a prediction, but I cannot be f**ked arguing with you because you missed the entire point of my post. Here's a little hint for you, however:

"Who would have thought when we started season 2017/18 we would be in the position we are in today ?"

"Frankly AJ, quite a lot of us"

Can you read what season is being referred to? 2017-18 - the season that began with Alan Archibald as manager in the Scottish Premiership?

You, and "quite a lot of us" thought that by the start of THIS SEASON we'd be struggling under a different manager in the Championship?

Don't give me your patronizing "try again" shite when you cannot read yourself.

So why don't you try this - go away and pluck your head out of your own arse, and shove your petty point-scoring about semantics up there instead.

I think we know who started the petty points scoring.

So try again, again.

5 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

To echo Woodstock Jag,  Archie won his first three home League Games last season...but I put that down to poor opposition and we didn't look remotely like a promotion team...I don't think anyone disputed that Archie had reached the end of the road.

His squad players were pretty awful but he could have fielded this team which should certainly have been good enough to have been promotion challengers last season:-

Sneddon

Elliot O'Ware McGinty Penrice 

Spittal Slater Bannigan

Fitzpatrick Doolan Erskine

With the nucleus of that squad, I thought it was a great opportunity for the new manager to make a promotion push...instead we scrambled clear of relegation on the last day. Apart from his mate Scott McDonald, after two transfer windows, Caldwell has not brought in any player who is an upgrade. It should be part of a manager's skill set to get the best of his players...we know how good Erskine, Doolan & Bannigan were...they didn't/don't look like they were/are enjoying their football under Caldwell.

I suspect the club and the team will stumble on without any particular sense of direction until the takeover situation is resolved. As with Derek Johnstone, Gerry Collins and Dick Campbell, my enthusiasm as a supporter is just marking time until a new manager takes over.   

Think erskine is finished sadly mate - didn’t really do anything last year and a half with us and don’t think he has done much with livi

29 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

It was mentioned 2yr at point of signing, what I’ve heard is he insisted on it being rolling.

Someone posted on pie and bovril that when Archie was sacked he had to be given a full year contract from the day he was sacked- therefore will be paid until October?

15 minutes ago, sandy said:

Oh bitterness

It’s not bitterness is being fed up with your personal attacks ....I’m not sure how you expect people to react to your bile on here but since I am one of several who have reacted this way to you maybe some self reflection might be a good idea

anyway please stop commenting on my posts or indeed mentioning me at all I won’t be responding 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Someone posted on pie and bovril that when Archie was sacked he had to be given a full year contract from the day he was sacked- therefore will be paid until October?

He was on a 1 year rolling contract, so yes he gets paid for a year after he was sacked. As does Patterson.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

He was on a 1 year rolling contract, so yes he gets paid for a year after he was sacked. As does Patterson.

So the guy who got us into too 6 was on a one year rolling contract but there is conjecture that a man with an appalling involved in 4 relegations in 5 seasons managerial record elsewhere was handed a two year rolling contract. 

You couldn’t make some of this stuff up  if that is true that reason alone is just about enough to justify matching the previous incumbents out the door! 

Edited by jaf
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, jaf said:

So the guy who got us into too 6 was on a one year rolling contract but there is conjecture that a man with an appalling involved in 4 relegations in 5 seasons managerial record elsewhere was handed a two year rolling contract. 

You couldn’t make some of this stuff up  if that is true that reason alone is just about enough to justify matching the previous incumbents out the door!

But that's exactly what posters on here do.

I sometimes wonder if David Beattie made certain things up to get back into power?

Probably not the case butstrange looking back that an external take over was cited after the previous board were bulleted. 

Maybe if they just said they were looking for fresh investment a lot of this vacuous speculation could have been avoided?

48 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I sometimes wonder if David Beattie made certain things up to get back into power?

Probably not the case butstrange looking back that an external take over was cited after the previous board were bulleted. 

Maybe if they just said they were looking for fresh investment a lot of this vacuous speculation could have been avoided?

Seems like vacuous speculation to me. 

On 8/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, jlsarmy said:

From the People who gave Harkins a Two Year Deal - anything is possible when your "blown away " by Powerpoint 

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:03 AM, jagfox said:

I doubt we’ll even see a loan player from Barnsley at this rate before the end of the month. Beattie should put his hands up and say he’s made a mess of this and ride off into the sunset. 

Why is the on the Park Performance anything to do with Beattie - GC had assembled his Squad before  the changes - his Budget was agreed in May - which he spent - he had  a fair chunk of the Squad he chose in January so its his team - full Pre Season 

Whilst the Ownership moves are subject to differeing views - the On the Park Performance is down to the Manager - No one else

15 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

From the People who gave Harkins a Two Year Deal - anything is possible when your "blown away " by Powerpoint 

Possibly  right , probably add Scott Fox’s two year deal to that as well , Scott Fox didn’t come back to sit in on the bench for 2 years , surely we could have developed Jamie Sneddon and used the funds more appropriately , goal scoring Centre forward for example.

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Possibly  right , probably add Scott Fox’s two year deal to that as well , Scott Fox didn’t come back to sit in on the bench for 2 years , surely we could have developed Jamie Sneddon and used the funds more appropriately , goal scoring Centre forward for example.

Well the Manager got his Budget in May - it was the same as last Season despite a significant reduction in income compared to last Season - He has Spent it on two Year Deals for Harkins - Fox and I doubt Kenny Miller will be cheap  - these are GC decisions - no one else  - So much for our Scouting System 

11 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Well the Manager got his Budget in May - it was the same as last Season despite a significant reduction in income compared to last Season - He has Spent it on two Year Deals for Harkins - Fox and I doubt Kenny Miller will be cheap  - these are GC decisions - no one else  - So much for our Scouting System 

I think that’s fair ...,. Caldwell got a lot players in in January and added again over the summer .... so it is his team and he is accountable ...at best he has a few games to rescue his career

im always intrigued at how Gerry Britton is not apparently responsible for anything it’s either the Chairman or the manager .... what does he do all day ?

• admin locked this topic