New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

14 minutes ago, West Ender said:

That Ken Bates thing worked well so looking forward to this.

Well Chelsea didnt have any compliants after he took over - I once spoke to Jim Oliver about the Bates Era -as Jim bought his shares - He had No idea why Bates bought us -and I dont think Bates did either - which was part of the problem  

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

I agree.....apart from Alan Rough how many of the current Board are  ‘Thistle minded or fans ‘.....actually none so why people are going out on a limb for them I really don’t know. None of the current board have bought any shares or brought any real investment and they haven’t  done a very good job over the last two years.

consolidating our ownership of shares will be a good thing ....currently we have over half our shares owned by people with no involvement in the club and a board with no financial interest in the club

for every Romanov there is a Sheik Mansoor so making generalisations doesn’t work....they can’t assess strip because we have no assets ! We are a £2-3m company that own part if a football stadium that’s it. 

Its time for change 

out of likes, but this is bang on the money for me

I would add, for me, those rumoured to be selling shares and brokering the deal care more for the club and have demonstrated this over a long period, than the current board have ever demonstrated for whom the club is a flag of convenience where the association has just arisen by chance (Dodds and Rough exempted); and that gives me a degree of comfort

Edited by jaf

7 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Correct. Or maybe JJ is right and all professional football managers are wrong who repeatedly take their players abroad. Or maybe Caldwell can do it the old fashioned way, run the players up Gullane sand dunes until they puke? Ah the good old days.

Ok lets destroy the Gullune Myth - the reason for Running up the Sand was to strengthen the Calve Muscles whilst working the Heart & Lungs - it was low impact high intensity training and  you would struggle to get anything better - Jock Wallace was a former Army PTI he wasn't daft and used the facilities to MaX benefit - you cannot compare Football Training or its impact but you can compare Athletics Record of the Old Fashioned Training Methods ( similiar to Gullune ) Most Records stood for 30 Years using "Old Skool" training methods - they are only being broken now - funny enough by Athletes of that era who are now Coaches - No wee body belts or laptops required and Yes there are clips of Mo Farah throwing up during training - so there is nothing wrong with that happening       

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

5 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

You’re just trying to promote your AirCon business aren’t you Jim? :lol:

Funny enough working on the New Meadowbank where the Controlled Temperature for training is ---- Wait for it ---- 18oC - do you think they might Know something that Thistle dont ?   

13 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Funny enough working on the New Meadowbank where the Controlled Temperature for training is ---- Wait for it ---- 18oC - do you think they might Know something that Thistle dont ?   

But it isn’t just about the warm weather training. It is also about team bonding and breaking up the tedium of pre season training.

9 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

But it isn’t just about the warm weather training. It is also about team bonding and breaking up the tedium of pre season training.

Pre Season Training is done at High Intensity for that you use optimum training conditions - they shouldnt see it as a Chore - which is half the problem with Football and its culture - we have to stop pandering to this nonsense - we dont have Wigans Millions for GC to play with  

53 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Pre Season Training is done at High Intensity for that you use optimum training conditions - they shouldnt see it as a Chore - which is half the problem with Football and its culture - we have to stop pandering to this nonsense - we dont have Wigans Millions for GC to play with  

When Caldwell was talking about how players need treated these days - I don’t think he was just talking about Thistle players.

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Spain per head of Population punches way below its weight outside Football - Whereas Scotland Punches way above its weight  

How many Spanish athletes come to Scotland for shite weather training?

Clearly thats where they are going wrong.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Emsca said:

How many Spanish athletes come to Scotland for shite weather training?

Clearly thats where they are going wrong.

Agreed - we have some of the best Athletics Coaches in Europe - the Weather doesnt seem to impact on the performance - we have World Class Athletes Training along Maryhill Round in the Freezing Rain  - using the same facilities at West Scotland Science Park as Thistle  do ?  There is No Physical advantage to Training in 30oC +  and its detrimental to Training Intensity _ Caldwell can spend the Money as he pleases but I would have thought a decent Striker would be more beneficial - just my view  

Jim, you're missing the point yet again. It's a week of high intensity preseason training. This is beneficial at warm weather venues. Longer than that can bring it's own problems.

It's to boost the training regime. When they get back they can run up sand dunes and avoid dog shite at Garscube at 18°C.

That's only for the actual training benefit side of things. Also breaks the monotony of preseason and builds team morale.

The current board could bring in Messi on board and you would still pick fault.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok lets destroy the Gullune Myth - the reason for Running up the Sand was to strengthen the Calve Muscles whilst working the Heart & Lungs - it was low impact high intensity training and  you would struggle to get anything better - Willie Waddell was a former Army PTI he wasnt daft and used the facilities to MaX benefit - you cannot compare Football Training or its impact but you can compare Athletics Record of the Old Fashioned Training Methods ( similiar to Gullune ) Most Records stood for 30 Years using "Old Skool" training methods - they are only being broken now - funny enough by Athletes of that era who are now Coaches - No wee body belts or laptops required and Yes there are clips of Mo Farah throwing up during training - so there is nothing wrong with that happening       

Think you're mixing up Willie Waddell with Jock Wallace. 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Jim, you're missing the point yet again. It's a week of high intensity preseason training. This is beneficial at warm weather venues. Longer than that can bring it's own problems.

It's to boost the training regime. When they get back they can run up sand dunes and avoid dog shite at Garscube at 18°C.

That's only for the actual training benefit side of things. Also breaks the monotony of preseason and builds team morale.

The current board could bring in Messi on board and you would still pick fault.

Nope - I Coach Athletics - I think its a wider problem than just Thistle in Scotland - Players think they are better than they are and this sort of thing panders to there egos - we are in the Championship not in the English Premier - Training is as big a monotony as you want to make it   - Ive known World Class Scottish Athletes who battered out Miles on the Roads and did Track Sessions in Coatbridge  its not where you train its how you train - Lindsay Sharp trained in an old Railway Tunnel near her House - European Champion - Commonwealth Silver - Olympic Finalist   - so its about what you do -  there going to have to ground out results in the Cold Wet Rain - so they toughen up - they want the warm weather luxury - earn it get a transfer to a bigger Club - Caldwell is playing at it - trying  to act like he is still at Wigan - Ayr Utd arent in La Manga - they will be up at the Waterworks in Milngavie and busting there lungs around Mugdock - but hey - Colly isnt up to speed with current training trends   

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

6 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Nope - I Coach Athletics - I think its a wider problem than just Thistle in Scotland - Players think they are better than they are and this sort of thing panders to there egos - we are in the Championship not in the English Premier - Training is as big a monotony as you want to make it   - Ive known World Class Scottish Athletes who battered out Miles on the Roads and did Track Sessions in Coatbridge  its not where you train its how you train - Lindsay Sharp trained in an old Railway Tunnel near her House - European Champion - Commonwealth Silver - Olympic Finalist   - so its about what you do -  there going to have to ground out results in the Cold Wet Rain - so they toughen up - they want the warm weather luxury - earn it get a transfer to a bigger Club - Caldwell is playing at it - trying  to act like he is still at Wigan - Ayr Utd arent in La Manga - they will be up at the Waterworks in Milngavie and busting there lungs around Mugdock - but hey - Colly isnt up to speed with current training trends   

Who cares what Ayr United are doing with their pre season? I don’t 

would you be as bothered if it was Archie taking them to Spain or do you just hate Caldwell 

I would question McCall's training methods. Went from title challengers to meekly limping out in the playoffs. 

Maybe a break in January would have done Ayr some good?

Also football training and athletics training will have a lot of differences. 

15 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Oh for a statement from the consortium (remember them) so we can move on from whether you should train if it is 19 degrees instead of 18 or if every club who goes to Spain during pre season is wrong :doh:

Yep, the PR from this consortium is shocking. Sack the Board that sacked the Board!

8 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Well the simple fact is they dont - when they get to a certain level they do use Altitude Training 

However if you take the Scots who competed in Rio on the Track - the vast majority trained in the UK - we had 8 Athletes who made the Olympic Finals most of them holding down jobs or studies at the same time ?

And all of them bar none made use of the training facilities in lanzarote, just not every day of the year. Sometimes you can come over as a right royal know it all pain in the archie. You're not an authority on EVERYTHING, just some things.:P

The Tenerife trip clearly worked so in my opinion why not. I tend to bow to the football professional perspective on this. What I find laughable is the under current of we are a diddy team and the players should be pounding the streets of Maryhill. As always wait and see what happens come the start of the season. Our start last year was truly awful. 

• Like 1

• admin locked this topic