New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok I’ll take that as you cant make a positive case so I’m not sure what point your trying to make 

Barnsley had a great season last year playing great football and winning g promotion ....the squad was gutted over the summer and they are now struggling.....why ? Because the financial return from player sales is a higher priority  than success on the park ....that’s the model 

Here are some of the replies to Chein Lee’s Twitter when they won the league 

B972F611-8EE3-4235-9836-ADCB3F256A2F.png

9F3A08EC-004C-4912-930E-D14119DED1B4.png

CD4159B0-335E-4618-89CD-2C4C86117E4A.png

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

Here are some of the replies to Chein Lee’s Twitter when they won the league 

B972F611-8EE3-4235-9836-ADCB3F256A2F.png

9F3A08EC-004C-4912-930E-D14119DED1B4.png

CD4159B0-335E-4618-89CD-2C4C86117E4A.png

Ok that’s not a positive case for paul Conway buying us which you have still have not made ....

fans happy at winning promotion shock ....but after the dismantling of that team to make money , the total change in their squad, dreadful sacking of their manager it’s nit going well is it ?

anyway is Chien Lee still involved ? Akan Nixon says no 

Fans in happy when it's going well, less so when it's not shocker.

i really don't see what the Barnsley fans shifting emotions have to do with this. I have enough faith in my own opinions to know what type of football club I want to support.

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok that’s not a positive case for paul Conway buying us which you have still have not made ....

fans happy at winning promotion shock ....but after the dismantling of that team to make money , the total change in their squad, dreadful sacking of their manager it’s nit going well is it ?

anyway is Chien Lee still involved ? Akan Nixon says no 

New City Capital (I believe) have tabled the bid. The Founder, Chairman and CEO of NCC is Chien Lee not Paul Conway

7 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

He’s still CEO and Chairman of New City Capital, so if the offer is from them then yes

Conway has been in Glasgow not Lee.....Barnsley were bought by a special vehicle company not New City Capital....it’s been reported in the press and in Barnsley that Conway and Lee have fallen out and Lee is not involved in buying us ....so the offer is not  from New City Capital

Edited by javeajag

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Just so we are clear on the rules of the game then - I don't want to stoop too low. No quoting fans of the teams who actually have experience of the consortium and no quoting journalists who have observed the clubs in question either. So that just leaves what the consortium have told us what they plan to do with our club.......

Yes, you carry on making up rules for me  …

You must have a device  on your PC that filters out any quotes from Barnsley fans who are not critical of the consortium and who have been critical of the manager's performance.

One of the reasons I don't want TfE anywhere near this club.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Semi Nurainen said:

You must have a device  on your PC that filters out any quotes from Barnsley fans who are not critical of the consortium and who have been critical of the manager's performance.

Thistle fan doesn’t want other Thistle fans near the club ......Jesus 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

So who do you want near the club? 

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

It’s just using data and statistical techniques to identify players you think you can develop or buy  cheaply and sell at a profit 

looking at  Barnsley they have invested some of the profits from player sales and kept some for themselves 

nothing new about It ... why Beattie called it transformational I’ll never know 

Call me old fashioned but I would be very wary of "using data and statistical techniques to identify players". That smacks to me of Power point presentations ; graphs ; spreadsheets etc.

Imagine the conversation  " Boss I think we should sign this guy, his interception stats are way above average; his assists are well above the mean and his headers won rate is in the top quartile"

Lambie: "Aye but can he play fitba"

I accept that stats are used widespread and reled on by all the top clubs. I dont doubt that. Personally. I would just  prefer if they spent their time coaching boys to  use both feet, tackle properly  and pass the ball from A to B.

I think we're just circling the wagons now. Those of us who think the consortium would be a disaster for Thistle can't see anything positive in their offer: those who think it's the best way forward can't see any better alternative.

I'm prepared to be persuaded that the consortium would be good for the club (not that my opinion, or anyone else's on here, will make a difference), so can someone explain how this deal will improve on the status quo? Just ONE thing?

11 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So who do you want near the club? 

Abundantly clear from the context  I mean running the club, so don't act like a wassock.

Answer, somebody who knows how to run a business.

Can you point to the bit where TfE pledge that they will not sell young promising players.

One of the 'Barnsley fans' criticising the board mentioned their recent 5-1 defeat by Derby; they were beaten 5-1 by Preston, they drew 2-2 with Derby (which was a good result). A bit like calling us 'Partick'. Make of that what you will.

Meanwhile, a hundred miles up the road, watch Sunderland fans lamenting that they are NOT being taken over, and Newcastle fans rubbing it in that their takeover has failed.

Edited by Semi Nurainen
missed a bit as usual

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

I think we're just circling the wagons now. Those of us who think the consortium would be a disaster for Thistle can't see anything positive in their offer: those who think it's the best way forward can't see any better alternative.

I'm prepared to be persuaded that the consortium would be good for the club (not that my opinion, or anyone else's on here, will make a difference), so can someone explain how this deal will improve on the status quo? Just ONE thing?

Your second paragraph contradicts your first: most of those who think the consortium is the lesser of all (presently available) evils would prefer the status quo. Where are they arguing that it's an improvement?

22 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Abundantly clear from the context  I mean running the club, so don't act like a wassock.

Answer, somebody who knows how to run a business.

Can you point to the bit where TfE pledge that they will not sell young promising players.

One of the 'Barnsley fans' criticising the board mentioned their recent 5-1 defeat by Derby; they were beaten 5-1 by Preston, they drew 2-2 with Derby (which was a good result). A bit like calling us 'Partick'. Make of that what you will.

Meanwhile, a hundred miles up the road, watch Sunderland fans lamenting that they are NOT being taken over, and Newcastle fans rubbing it in that their takeover has failed.

Ridiculous .... it’s not being taken over it’s who your being taken over by and why 

make a positive case for this lot 

20 minutes ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Your second paragraph contradicts your first: most of those who think the consortium is the lesser of all (presently available) evils would prefer the status quo. Where are they arguing that it's an improvement?

You need to quote our new corporate slogan ... ‘ no worse off ‘ unfortunately that means ‘ no better off ‘ 

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

No one has said its "the best " way Forward - however as the options on the Table are them or TFE then its the Consortium 100% 

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

You need to quote our new corporate slogan ... ‘ no worse off ‘ unfortunately that means ‘ no better off ‘ 

11 hours ago, Emsca said:

Call me old fashioned but I would be very wary of "using data and statistical techniques to identify players". That smacks to me of Power point presentations ; graphs ; spreadsheets etc.

Imagine the conversation  " Boss I think we should sign this guy, his interception stats are way above average; his assists are well above the mean and his headers won rate is in the top quartile"

Lambie: "Aye but can he play fitba"

I accept that stats are used widespread and reled on by all the top clubs. I dont doubt that. Personally. I would just  prefer if they spent their time coaching boys to  use both feet, tackle properly  and pass the ball from A to B.

Thats complete nonsense all Sports use statistical data - and so would Lambie if it was available in his day 

When you have two signing Windows and intense competition for the best Players you have to do your research 

Lambie used  Athletics Coaches for Strength & Conditioning - long before  Strength & Conditioning Coaches existed - his PR persona and his approach to Football were very very different 

All the stats in the World doesnt make good Players or Good Managers BUT they are a key indicator of performance in advance 

13 hours ago, javeajag said:

Conway has been in Glasgow not Lee.....Barnsley were bought by a special vehicle company not New City Capital....it’s been reported in the press and in Barnsley that Conway and Lee have fallen out and Lee is not involved in buying us ....so the offer is not  from New City Capital

Oh well if its been reported in the Press that will make it a fact then 

5 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

No one has said its "the best " way Forward - however as the options on the Table are them or TFE then its the Consortium 100% 

You still have refused to

1 outline the plan you said they had - or did you make that up 

2 tell us their business track record - or did you make that up as well 

3 who ‘they’ are - or don’t you know 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Yes of course some Thistle fans are allowed run the club others are not ....logical

Yes - it depends very much on if you believe that the Fans are the best fit for Running the Club 

What your suggesting is just because they are Fans that means they are the best option - which is nonsense   

• admin locked this topic