New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

A lot of detailed speculation on here. My question is this. If andy mac is right the level of knowledge required must mean that the board ( or shareholders ) have been actively trying to sell the club. These guys didn't just stumble into this. Secondly if we are being bought simply to asset strip why not buy a Premier League team? For example Livingstone or Hamilton or almost any team for ty hat matter.

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

A lot of detailed speculation on here. My question is this. If andy mac is right the level of knowledge required must mean that the board ( or shareholders ) have been actively trying to sell the club. These guys didn't just stumble into this. Secondly if we are being bought simply to asset strip why not buy a Premier League team? For example Livingstone or Hamilton or almost any team for ty hat matter.

They may well have less to strip.

The property angle... Flats have gone up all around Firhill so it must be a viable area.

On the other hand, surely an organisation like this must have some value in its reputation. They have a history with other  clubs. If they come in and kill the club it would be harder to "build their portfolio" any further.

I'm not 100% on any of this, but I think it seems naive to be excited and completely positive.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

The property angle... Flats have gone up all around Firhill so it must be a viable area.

On the other hand, surely an organisation like this must have some value in its reputation. They have a history with other  clubs. If they come in and kill the club it would be harder to "build their portfolio" any further.

I'm not 100% on any of this, but I think it seems naive to be excited and completely positive.

Glasgow in maryhill ....peanuts to a billionaire and why has t it been done before ?

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Glasgow in maryhill ....peanuts to a billionaire and why has t it been done before 

I don't have answers Javeajag. I just have enough questions to make the whole thing a bit uncomfortable

1 minute ago, allyo said:

I don't have answers Javeajag. I just have enough questions to make the whole thing a bit uncomfortable

Questions are understandable but some of the speculation is ludicrous 

there is no financial reason for these guys to bother about us so it’s a football reason and hopefully we will find out what 

it’s not a conspiracy 

7 minutes ago, javeajag said:

there is no financial reason for these guys to bother about us so it’s a football reason and hopefully we will find out what 

it’s not a conspiracy 

I must confess to finding it strange that a consortium of such experienced business people would not have a communication strategy in place. I would have thought that they would have wanted to get people onside before taking over rather than what we are now seeing which is lots of questions and speculation flying about. Even if they wanted to keep it secret from the fans until everything was signed, sealed and delivered did they not realise what a goldfish bowl Scottish football is? Now it is out in the public domain why not comment?

Again, and apologies for repeating myself, I am not against this but given the lack of information I cannot yet say that I am for it either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, javeajag said:

it’s not a conspiracy 

Wow , do you really think they are getting involved with Partick Thistle purely for football reasons, tell me where the connection is with our football club . 

Just now, Fawlty Towers said:

I must confess to finding it strange that a consortium of such experienced business people would not have a communication strategy in place. I would have thought that they would have wanted to get people onside before taking over rather than what we are now seeing which is lots of questions and speculation flying about. Even if they wanted to keep it secret from the fans until everything was signed, sealed and delivered did they not realise what a goldfish bowl Scottish football is? Now it is out in the public domain why not comment?

Again, and apologies for repeating myself, I am not against this but given the lack of information I cannot yet say that I am for it either.

I think it’s probably because the deal and approvals are not yet done..... indeed it may be a delicate stage 

24 minutes ago, allyo said:

I'm my usual. Pragmatically hopeful that it could be positive. Until we have clarification I'm open minded. 

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Wow , do you really think they are getting involved with Partick Thistle purely for football reasons, tell me where the connection is with our football club . 

What was Jacqui lows connection with our football club ?

and why is a connection important ?

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think it’s probably because the deal and approvals are not yet done..... indeed it may be a delicate stage 

Okay. That was the reason given elsewhere for the club maintaining its silence, but you responded that it should have issued a holding statement. Are you saying that shouldn't be the case for the prospective new owner, too?

Edited by Dark Passenger

5 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Okay. That was the reason given elsewhere for the club maintaining its silence, but you responded that it should have responded with a holding statement. Are you saying that shouldn't be the case for the prospective new owner, too?

They could but all it would say is we are in discussions which is what the club should have said 

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Not asking to know that they have offered x pounds to Mr Y for his shares but a confirmation that they do want to own our club would be nice along with a reason why. If it was me (and I realise that I am not a billionaire business person) I would want people onside before I came in rather than having people querying my motives after I take over.

I suppose we will find out one way or the other soon enough. I just hope the speculation does not negatively impact on our transfer dealings.

Just now, Fawlty Towers said:

Not asking to know that they have offered x pounds to Mr Y for his shares but a confirmation that they do want to own our club would be nice along with a reason why. If it was me (and I realise that I am not a billionaire business person) I would want people onside before I came in rather than having people querying my motives after I take over.

I suppose we will find out one way or the other soon enough. I just hope the speculation does not negatively impact on our transfer dealings.

I suspect that at the money their audience is the 9 people they need to get over the line 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

What was Jacqui lows connection with our football club ?

and why is a connection important ?

Jacqui Low was put on the board as Colin Weirs PR , probably to make sure his investment worked well , connection at our level I believe is important because you’ve got a better chance that they’ve got the best interests of our Club at heart .

Two examples where it didn’t work were Craig Whyte at Rangers and the Lithuanian take over at Hearts , I wouldn’t want to go down that road .

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

They could but all it would say is we are in discussions which is what the club should have said 

But if the discussions are with a particular group of shareholders and not the club (board) as has been suggested on this very thread then how could they confirm that?

As they said, and as evidenced by Tommy Robson's signing on Friday, it's "business as usual" until they're told otherwise.

Edited by Dark Passenger

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Jacqui Low was put on the board as Colin Weirs PR , probably to make sure his investment worked well , connection at our level I believe is important because you’ve got a better chance that they’ve got the best interests of our Club at heart .

Two examples where it didn’t work were Craig Whyte at Rangers and the Lithuanian take over at Hearts , I wouldn’t want to go down that road .

Ok she had no connection 

you will find examples of where it did or didn’t work I’m not sure that takes you very far 

If your an optimist you hope this might be a good thing if your Scottish We’re doooomed !

Just now, Dark Passenger said:

But if the discussions are with shareholders and not the club (board) as has been suggested on this very thread then how could they confirm that?

As they said, and as evidenced by Tommy Robson's signing on Friday, it's "business as usual" until they're told otherwise.

Sure but a simple two line statement just need to confirm discussions are taking place but maybe the non denial did that anyway  

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Ok she had no connection 

you will find examples of where it did or didn’t work I’m not sure that takes you very far 

If your an optimist you hope this might be a good thing if your Scottish We’re doooomed !

No the connection was Colin Weir and his involvement in the Club.

I’ve got an open mind on it till I hear more , reckon something is happening though .

5 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok ask yourself this - Why Now - this was obviously a complicated deal to pull together - not all parties know each other that well - Some of them dont even like each other - but what changed over the End of Last Season for this to happen ? For a proactive joining of forces to occur - now you could say Money - but at least a third of those involved are very wealthy -there Thistle Fans - there not selling the Club down the River for in there Nett Worth - not a lot 

So people need to ask themselves - Why ?  Something was the Catalyst for such a dramatic change ? 

This to a T.

Something has caused this loose group to join as a bulk. 

Is it cash? Maybe but can’t see them making much

Is it to facilitate regime change? Perhaps, very strange that none of our ex directors have been at Firhill (except as guests of sponsors) since last June.

Is it to prevent someone else taking it over from within and diluting shareholding’s further so their block is powerless? Potentially, there have been mutterings since our latest board member came on and his contacts and more worryingly their record with Clydebank.

All above is speculation but something has gelled these shareholders together and I do not believe it’s purely cash

• admin locked this topic