New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

And is that not the point? Buy the club, sign better players, maybe even buy better players, develop those players, win things, sell players, buy players, win things. 

And so it goes on. 

I really don’t see anything underhand here - it’s a deal about football. Not property, not anything else. Football.

• Like 3

Ok. On the one hand the forum say the proposed takeover is to asset strip or player development for profit. If its neither what can it be? Tax avoidance is about the only option I can think off. But really....we all need to wait and say. All of the options above may be wrong! 

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Ok. On the one hand the forum say the proposed takeover is to asset strip or player development for profit. If its neither what can it be? Tax avoidance is about the only option I can think off. But really....we all need to wait and say. All of the options above may be wrong! 

Money laundering?

2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Dundee Utd paid for Peter Pawlett

Yea you got me GRE , undisclosed fee , I’m sure you know what I mean , we play in a league of journeyman football players, the majority just trying to get a Wage , there is no transfer market as such , the only thing I can see being cynical is it gives them an opportunity to move money around  between clubs for whatever reason.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Yea you got me GRE , undisclosed fee , I’m sure you know what I mean , we play in a league of journeyman football players, the majority just trying to get a Wage , there is no transfer market as such , the only thing I can see being cynical is it gives them an opportunity to move money around  between clubs for whatever reason.

Falkirk sold a fair amount of young players, mostly to Swansea apparently for substantial fees.

29 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

First of all , we were in the Premier League when we sold Liam Lindsay, maybe young Aidan will go for big money but he’s been developed at PTFC since he was 11 yrs of age .

I’ll as you the same question as I asked JJ , where do these guys make their money , as we play in a league of free transfers and out of contract players , when was the last time there was any transfer fees at all in our League.

Move Younger players around between Clubs on loans - but there main Club Keeps there registration - Run us tight on Non Football Overhead and you have a Colub you can Control bringing these players through - moving up the ranks of your Clubs gaining experience 

Think of the Spanish Model where large Clubs Play there B& C teams in lower leagues ? We are pretty Cheap to buy - lets face it £2-3 MN gets you the Club ( or a Controlling interest ) 

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Perhaps we should be registering the name The Partick Thistle or FC Partick Thistle .......just in case

I kid you not I actually seriously thought this is something which one of the supporters groups might have to do if it turns pear shaped :shok:

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I kid you not I actually seriously thought this is something which one of the supporters groups might have to do if it turns pear shaped :shok:

Nothing has happened yet and here we are in liquidation ...  mental 

55 minutes ago, stolenscone said:

Andy - I have no axe to grind and have no inside knowledge, but purely from a property perspective, the land really isn’t easily developable, nor is it located in a particularly desirable area. If a property developer had cash to spend and this was really only about the land, then there are dozens of better, cheaper and easier sites to pick.

I said in my earlier post, I really can’t fathom why a wealthy overseas investor would be interested. Some have said it’s to assist in building a stable of feeder clubs to bring through players for sale, but I can’t see why Scotland (where decent fees are a rarity) or why PTFC, which is languishing in the second tier. I would have thought that there are other more attractive options which would be higher profile and not cost any more to buy.

Others seem to know more than I do,  so I’l wait to see what happens, but if it really is all about the land, then they are completely clueless when it comes to property development.

The land will have value, how much is it worth now and how much they will pay to get it is anyone's guess. Nevertheless, I don't think they will overpay.

I can't claim to be any kind of property/development expert, but it never cease to surprise me the state of some land that housing gets built on. Round our way, houses are routinely built upon old factories. The kind of old engineering works where millions of gallons of machine oils and metal coolants have leached through to the ground below, with asbestos, chromium, cyanide and other chemicals thrown in for good measure. There was no SEPA in those days! It's a joke, anything goes, they dig it up a bit, throw on some top soil and kid on that it's ok.

If you have enough money and you know the right people you will get what you want.

Firhill may not be Park Circus, but it does have value.

With the right planning consent, that value will only increase.

10 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Move Younger players around between Clubs on loans - but there main Club Keeps there registration - Run us tight on Non Football Overhead and you have a Colub you can Control bringing these players through - moving up the ranks of your Clubs gaining experience 

Think of the Spanish Model where large Clubs Play there B& C teams in lower leagues ? We are pretty Cheap to buy - lets face it £2-3 MN gets you the Club ( or a Controlling interest ) 

Where does the transfer fees come in at our level ? and actually make some money, on what you say it seems an awful lot of work for very little return 

2 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

The land will have value, how much is it worth now and how much they will pay to get it is anyone's guess. Nevertheless, I don't think they will overpay.

I can't claim to be any kind of property/development expert, but it never cease to surprise me the state of some land that housing gets built on. Round our way, houses are routinely built upon old factories. The kind of old engineering works where millions of gallons of machine oils and metal coolants have leached through to the ground below, with asbestos, chromium, cyanide and other chemicals thrown in for good measure. There was no SEPA in those days! It's a joke, anything goes, they dig it up a bit, throw on some top soil and kid on that it's ok.

If you have enough money and you know the right people you will get what you want.

You really are talking nonsense really 

4 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

So does this mean that our ground and the grounds of Nice and Barnsley will all be razed to the ground to build houses on? Or is this just our fate? 

14 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I've read the whole thread. I can't take any more of this. Erroneous capital letters in the middle of sentences. Cut it out!

There; Their; They're. Your; You're. Look them up. FFS!

Carry on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Falkirk sold a fair amount of young players, mostly to Swansea apparently for substantial fees.

Yea you’re right , back in 2014/2015 season , they have since scrapped their Academy because they couldn’t sustain it .

3 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Andy - I have worked in the commercial property industry for nearly 20years. I have a senior role within my firm. It’s fair to say that I have a good understanding of how property development works.

You day that any land has a value and that these people won’t overpay. At its most basic - any property development has a cost, and if the build cost is higher than the profit, then there isn’t much point in starting the process by buying the land, no matter how good a deal you get.

I struggle to see this particular piece of land as being an attractive proposition. As I said before, there are many other sites which could be picked up cheaply, would be easier to develop, would be less risky and which would likely lead to a higher profit.

I struggle to see how this stacks up financially from a land perspective.

1 minute ago, stolenscone said:

Andy - I have worked in the commercial property industry for nearly 20years. I have a senior role within my firm. It’s fair to say that I have a good understanding of how property development works.

You day that any land has a value and that these people won’t overpay. At its most basic - any property development has a cost, and if the build cost is higher than the profit, then there isn’t much point in starting the process by buying the land, no matter how good a deal you get.

I struggle to see this particular piece of land as being an attractive proposition. As I said before, there are many other sites which could be picked up cheaply, would be easier to develop, would be less risky and which would likely lead to a higher profit.

I struggle to see how this stacks up financially from a land perspective.

There are people on here who think they have better knowledge and football acumen than, ahem football professionals with 20 years experience. No doubt this will apply to land development debates also lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

There are people on here who think they have better knowledge and football acumen than, ahem football professionals with 20 years experience. No doubt this will apply to land development debates also lol.

If firhill was a great development opportunity it would have been done years ago ...it isn’t 

26 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Yea you’re right , back in 2014/2015 season , they have since scrapped their Academy because they couldn’t sustain it .

Sold a lad to Liverpool in the last couple of seasons. Their board chose to invest the money that was going into the academy into the first team squad at the end of last season. That worked out well lol

23 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

These people aren’t football people , they’ve never played  the game , been involved in the game , these people are investors interested in making money by whatever means and we seem to have taken the bait .

51 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I wouldn't know how to go about this or what the costs would be but perhaps if one of the supporters clubs/groups were to get some crowd funding I would make a contribution. 

47 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Nothing has happened yet and here we are in liquidation ...  mental 

Total tosh from you once again. We were discussing all outcomes cos we don't have any concrete information. It's called forward planning cos as we know nothing, we prepare for as many eventualities. Look at Wimbledon, man united  with their respective AFC.

This is something I thought of a few days ago but thought it was just me being paranoid. What if the purpose of buying Thistle is to relocate and rename the club? similer to the notorious clydebank moving to Dublin escapade whilst continuing to  play in the Scottish leagues and we all know how that panned out. Airdrie United.........playing in Lanarkshire ffs.

I'm very open minded to this but until we know what the feck is going on I'll worry a little. It'll cost a fortune to travel to Dublin for home games:blush:

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree, there is massive potential at Firhill if it got redeveloped a bit , good motorway links , outdoor venue for Sports and Concerts .

Good space for functions with investment, similar to what St Johnstone do with weddings etc .

The actual football side is roughly used 20 days out of 365 days of the year, there is a lot of potential there if someone has a bit of foresight 

Yes there probably is a bit of potential but it would require significant investment to turn it into a top notch Sports and Function facility and even then with a good wind the completed revamped development might be worth max £8million. It would probably cost the best part of £3 to £4 million to do all the necessary works/ investment etc, so frankly it is difficult to see how it washes its face.

Just now, Thistleberight said:

Total tosh from you once again. We were discussing all outcomes cos we don't have any concrete information. It's called forward planning cos as we know nothing, we prepare for as many eventualities. Look at Wimbledon, man united  with their respective AFC.

This is something I thought of a few days ago but thought it was just me being paranoid. What if the purpose of buying Thistle is to relocate and rename the club? similer to the notorious clydebank moving to Dublin escapade whilst continuing to  play in the Scottish leagues and we all know how that panned out. Airdrie United.........playing in Lanarkshire ffs.

I'm very open minded to this but until we know what the feck is going on I'll worry a little. It'll cost a fortune to travel to Dublin for home games:blush:

Ah we’re relocating to Dublin now ... of course we are ... I mean land in Dublin is so cheap ....

total fantasy football 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

Ah we’re relocating to Dublin now ... of course we are ... I mean land in Dublin is so cheap ....

total fantasy football 

You don't get any less predictable

• admin locked this topic