New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

38 minutes ago, admin said:

Finally, something other than ,'What have the current Board done for us' mantra. 

Interesting and actually strikes at the core of where many of my concerns lie. 

If we become just part of an organisation's portfolio of clubs then our wellbeing becomes linked to theirs. 

Obviously things like TV deals etc. impact on how a club operates but currently pretty much every decision made, good or bad, by Thistle is Thistle's call based on what is considered the best for Thistle. 

As part of a wider stable of clubs we would lose that independence that sense of autonomy. 

Personally I would find it difficult to make an emotional connection the Club in those circumstances. We stop being what we are and are just a cog, a small one at that, in a machine. 

First I fully understand what your saying - but we sort of have two options - become part of something bigger - we will still be Partick Thistle - and lets face it vast majority of our Fans have never met the Current shareholders - so who owns us is a mute point 

Or stay as we are -  I dont see any real direction as for the Board - I have no idea who they are and more importantly why they are on the Board of Partick Thistle ? It just seems very very odd that we are the only Club in the Country with a Board who have No Shareholders - Investors or a connection to the Club before the joined the Board - at least with the possible takeover I know what the objective is and thats success on the Park - at present-  No idea what the motivation is ?  So where is the emotional connection ? If its important to Fans surely that has to be the same for everyone ?  

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Fair enough - first we  as have Fans have No say - thats up to the Shareholders - so the "Deal" good or bad isnt relevant 

However the Why is more of interest - having had dealings to a minor extent in Spanish football - it was possible to recruit a Player - hold is Contract - "lend" him to a Club and  then get the Transfer Fee ie Saurez - thats being stopped 

So to make Money from Player Transfers you need to own a Club - Football is now a Pan Europe Affair - owning a Number of Small Clubs - combined Economies of Scale makes sense - have Players interchange Clubs - Makes Sense - gain experience in Scotland - get used to British Football - Move Down South to Barnsley - sell on but with decent sell on Clause - it stacks up to an extent 

So back to original point - Shareholders hold Shares - Fans dont  if thats say 10 People or One Person - it makes no real difference - shares are bought and sold 

The Advantage to Thistle is possibly being part of a larger more professionally run organisation which can deliver on the Park - and that is why the Club exists to deliver on the Park - who owns us doesn't really matter   

It's like your local family run pub being bought over by a big brewer. You might get fancy new seats and tables, a wider selection of drinks. They might make bigger profits, and be a more professionally run operation all round.

But it's just not the same any more.

And then when they stop making a profit they sell it and it gets turned into a bookies.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

at least with the possible takeover I know what the objective is and thats success on the Park - at present-  No idea what the motivation is ?  

You don't believe that the main objective of the current board is on-park success?

Edited by Dark Passenger

1 hour ago, allyo said:

It's like your local family run pub being bought over by a big brewer. You might get fancy new seats and tables, a wider selection of drinks. They might make bigger profits, and be a more professionally run operation all round.

But it's just not the same any more.

And then when they stop making a profit they sell it and it gets turned into a bookies.

I agree with this.

Thistle are a decent football club, things could be better, but things could be much much worse.

I like the way they let kids in for free to the games, when you have a family it's a great help, also the children's Christmas party was laid on for nothing when my son was younger, you don't forget things like that, it was a very kind thing to do.

More "professional" clubs would take their opportunity to bleed every fan dry at every turn.

I don't don't think the current board are up to much. However, appointing a chief scout is a good move and if we became experts at buying and selling players, things would get an awful lot better.

Edited by AndyMac
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

I agree with this.

Thistle are a decent football club, things could be better, but things could be much much worse.

I like the way they let kids in for free to the games, when you have a family it's a great help, also the children's Christmas party was laid on for nothing when my son was younger, you don't forget things like that, it was a very kind thing to do.

More "professional" clubs would take their opportunity to bleed every fan dry at every turn.

I don't don't think the current board are up to much. However, appointing a chief scout is a good move and if we became experts at buying and selling players, things would get an awful lot better.

I think there is a risk that people don't appreciate what they have until it's gone.

Actually that's not just Thistle. That's a whole philosophy for the modern world. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

You don't believe that the main objective of the curre t board is on-board success?

If your a Fan of a Club - then that is clear

- if you have no association with the Club and in some instances a Fan of another Club then a) sort of begs the question as to why you are the Board of Thistle b) What is it that you are looking for from the Club - as if things fail - you simply go back to where you were

If its a Commercial Football Strategy - at least I understand the logic - people may disagree with the strategy - but at least its understandable  

So going back to my previous statement what other Club in Scotland has a Board  with No Shareholders - Investors and No previous Connection to the Club - also why ? 

In those circumstances - Im happy to see someone who is investing in the Club Run us ......

29 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

I agree with this.

Who says that will change ?  Why are people assuming its no longer going to be the same Club ? 

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Who says that will change ?  Why are people assuming its no longer going to be the same Club ? 

I think it will change fundamentally in that respect. The consortium are interested in making money, that's their primary aim. If they can increase the average spend of a fan they will; why shouldn't they?

I agree with a lot you say JJ, regarding the present running of the club, your points (imo) are very valid, regarding the lack of personal investment, the training ground  etc.

Nevertheless, we don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, do we?

Maybe we just need to shuffle the decks a bit.

I would like a board composed of people who have a financial stake in the club, who want the club to be successful and have a strategy to achieve it  ..., all of which are missing atm

ps wasn’t the chief scout Caldwell’s idea ?

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

I ignored this daft little dig first time around. You really are a petty, small-minded and vindictive man.

at least Ive was never part of a Political Party that had Section 28 as Party Policy - see that  was a nasty petty small minded bit of legislation  

I just dont think Football Clubs should make Social or Political Statements 

9 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

at least Ive was never part of a Political Party that had Section 28 as Party Policy - see that  was a nasty petty small minded bit of legislation  

Really ? How bizarre 

5 hours ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

So many agendas on this thread. It takes a fair bit to be dull to the other side of the world but a few posters, you know who you are, craven acceptance of either side of this particular argument does nothing to prosecute the case either for or against this development.

My two cents worth from Australia. If you can, fight, however you can, to make sure that any new owners have a vision that includes an independent Thistle being able to have success on their terms, through our own hard work. Winning things because some investment firm ploughs a stack of money in would be meaningless. Top 6 was an achievement we could all be proud of, an achievement that every fan played a tiny part in through their financial support of the club. Having six young Barnsley, our parent company's other team,  stars in the team and being promoted, would be fools gold, fun but irrelevant. 

The trust's silence on this matter is staggering, they should be front and centre of any conversation and communication. That they're not is a flat out disgrace. 

Just picking up on one point in your post. What’s the difference between having some players from Barnsley compared to loan players from a number of other clubs. I think we had about 5 in the squad after January ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Just picking up on one point in your post. What’s the difference between having some players from Barnsley compared to loan players from a number of other clubs. I think we had about 5 in the squad after January ?

Thistle made an independent choice to have these players. They weren't farmed to us.

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

EFBD6B1E-61CB-4660-82A3-361D39F2D4D3.jpeg.44fbe33426030a255844ae3bd68901d9.jpeg

• admin locked this topic