New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

3 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So going back to my previous statement what other Club in Scotland has a Board  with No Shareholders - Investors and No previous Connection to the Club - also why ? 

Is it a question you know the answer to or are you just throwing something else out there ?

58 minutes ago, allyo said:

Thistle made an independent choice to have these players. They weren't farmed to us.

Ok. I took the objection to be that they weren’t Thistle players. However, in the Nice/Barnsley conglomerate, how many Nice players are in the Barnsley squad ?

23 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Is it a question you know the answer to or are you just throwing something else out there ?

No its a genuine Question that I honestly dont know the answer to

- its just a very strange set up- here a Small Club is run by a Group of people with no real connection to it before they became Directors- 

42 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

- its just a very strange set up- here a Small Club is run by a Group of people with no real connection to it before they became Directors- 

Surely this can work both ways JJ , we’ve got a board who are doing their best to run the Club as they see fit , I don’t personally agree with everything they do but I don’t believe they’re trying to fleece the Club .

We’re now talking about some billionaire investor who has no connection trying to buy the Club .

I’m sceptical and cynical about their motives and at this moment sometimes it’s better the devil you know .

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Ok. I took the objection to be that they weren’t Thistle players. However, in the Nice/Barnsley conglomerate, how many Nice players are in the Barnsley squad ?

I don't know. I was only answering your question to be honest. 

59 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

It doesn’t sound like a genuine question when you call it a strange set up.

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Surely this can work both ways JJ , we’ve got a board who are doing their best to run the Club as they see fit , I don’t personally agree with everything they do but I don’t believe they’re trying to fleece the Club .

We’re now talking about some billionaire investor who has no connection trying to buy the Club .

I’m sceptical and cynical about their motives and at this moment sometimes it’s better the devil you know .

But the bottom line is that both they and the Chinese Guy walk away if it goes Pear Shaped  - so whats the difference ? They have  no connection to the Club 

So the Chinese Guys motivation is making money - thats straightforward - but why would you sit on the Board of a Small Club you dont even Support and most likely support another Team - dont you think thats odd ?     

Also looking at the Board are we seriously saying out of 3000 Thistle Fans we cant  get people of the equivalent standard - as they arent investing have no shares its just a Management Team 

Surely any Fan of a small Club is going to ask these questions - Im not saying they arent "doing there best " first is there best up to what we need - and why them

- I just dont get it ? 

I think as people have said, motives of existing board members might be pretty weak, to do with status and profile and CVs. And as a result motivation might be pretty low and it's just a case of going through the motions, and if that's the case then I'd have no argument that something should change. 

However, the change that is being suggested here seems pretty drastic and fundamental, and potentially irreversible. 

As many have said, we don't really know. All I'm saying is that while we don't know, i'd be cautious.

11 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

But the bottom line is that both they and the Chinese Guy walk away if it goes Pear Shaped  - so whats the difference ? They have  no connection to the Club 

So the Chinese Guys motivation is making money - thats straightforward - but why would you sit on the Board of a Small Club you dont even Support and most likely support another Team - dont you think thats odd ?     

Also looking at the Board are we seriously saying out of 3000 Thistle Fans we cant  get people of the equivalent standard - as they arent investing have no shares its just a Management Team 

Surely any Fan of a small Club is going to ask these questions - Im not saying they arent "doing there best " first is there best up to what we need - and why them

- I just dont get it ? 

Big difference is JJ , they are investors who are taking control of the Club , financially lock, stock and barrel , if it it doesn’t work out they do walk away but do we know if we’ll still have a Club there to support ?

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Big difference is JJ , they are investors who are taking control of the Club , financially lock, stock and barrel , if it it doesn’t work out they do walk away but do we know if we’ll still have a Club there to support ?

As opposed to having investors who don’t have anything to do with the club which is usually bad news for ant business 

so who does Jlow report to ? Who gives her guidance ? Or is it just a self serving group ? 

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Speculation can run off in many directions, eg perhaps the shareholder group decided to sell their shares to prevent exactly your scenario happening - who knows?

An owner with a long term plan is more likely to put more money in than a very generous donor, who one day might say, no more, you've had enough of my cash (although we are seemingly getting none anyway anymore), so does it not make us more sustainable?

The simple fact is none of us know.

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

As opposed to having investors who don’t have anything to do with the club which is usually bad news for ant business 

so who does Jlow report to ? Who gives her guidance ? Or is it just a self serving group ? 

As Jlow is the chairwoman, it should be the Chief Executive etc who report back to her . 

Jaqui Low hypothetically could be argued was part of Colin Weirs investment team as that was how she became a Director.

9 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

As Jlow is the chairwoman, it should be the Chief Executive etc who report back to her . 

Jaqui Low hypothetically could be argued was part of Colin Weirs investment team as that was how she became a Director.

Chairman are responsible to shareholders but in Jlows case is that just the agm and in between she does what she wants ? I don’t believe  the weirs are actively involved in the club 

Edited by javeajag

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Chairman are responsible to shareholders but in Jlows case is that just the agm and in between she does what she wants ? I don’t the weirs are actively involved in the club 

Javeajag , we’re finally going to agree on something, the Board should be answerable to the shareholders, unfortunately we’ve got 2 PTFC Trusts who hold shares and are totally benign in the influence they assert on the running of the Club .

24 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

So 10% shareholding buys you a chairman

26% buys you nothing?

On 6/24/2019 at 12:44 PM, jaf said:

Matter of public record Norge :

Shareholder

B%   A% Total %

PARTICK THISTLE FOOTBALL CLUB TRUST 17.9   1.38 19.28
McMaster family 7.36   0.64 8
Eddie Prentice 7.07   0.39 7.46
Arch Investments (Tom Hughes) 7.07   0.39 7.46
Jags Trust 7.07   0.39 7.46
Springfords 7.08   0.38 7.46
Ronnie Gilfillan 7.07     7.07
Small shareholders less than 1%       6.89
Christine Weir 4.64   0.36 5
Colin Weir 4.64   0.36 5
Jim Oliver 3.54   0.8 4.34
Thomas Longley 3.54   0.19 3.73
David Beattie 3.54     3.54
Grant Bannerman 2.97     2.97
Billy Allan 2.72   0.21 2.93
Lord Kelvin 1.41     1.41

Thanks for this information Jaf.

This may be well off the mark.

PARTICK THISTLE FOOTBALL CLUB TRUST shares were bought by the Weirs. Who actually controls these shares? If they're controlled by the Weirs and you add them to the shares in their own name, that gives you almost 30% of the club.

Could it be that the Weir's are looking to bail out and someone in the club is acting on their behalf, trying to package together the remaining 21% needed for a sale?

Who calls the shots with the PARTICK THISTLE FOOTBALL CLUB TRUST shares?

Edited by AndyMac

16 minutes ago, AndyMac said:

Thanks for this information Jaf.

This may be well off the mark.

PARTICK THISTLE FOOTBALL CLUB TRUST shares were bought by the Weirs. Who actually controls these shares? If they're controlled by the Weirs and you add them to the shares in their own name, that gives you almost 30% of the club.

Could it be that the Weir's are looking to bail out and someone in the club is acting on their behalf, trying to package together the remaining 21% needed for a sale?

Who calls the shots with the PARTICK THISTLE FOOTBALL CLUB TRUST shares?

If we ever get a constitution Andy we might know......

6 minutes ago, jaf said:

If we ever get a constitution Andy we might know......

I had a look into into it Jaf.

Partick Thistle Football Club Trust

Partick Thistle Football Club Trust has "deeds" somewhere. Perhaps that's the "constitution"?

None of it seems very transparent. However, it does say that if you are over 18 and have held a season ticket for 3 years you're considered a shareholder and beneficiary of the trust.

To find out the extent of the benefits and voting rights the deeds would have to be examined.

How do you get to see the deeds?

This might be a better question.

The Partick Thistle Football Club Trust has Trustees, this we know.

It is one thing to say that supporters are beneficiaries, however, how many supporters have actually been made beneficiaries? How many Jags fans have a legally binding document stating that they're beneficiaries of the Partick Thistle Football Club Trust?

There must be at least few hundred supporters known to the club, that meet the criteria to be card carrying beneficiaries of the Partick Thistle Football Club Trust?

There must be a good number on this forum?

Edited by AndyMac

• admin locked this topic