New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

1 hour ago, West of Scotland said:

Widely reported? Let's see:

The Daily Mail posts a non-story with no attributable sources or real information, a eighteen-month-old quote from the owners of Barnsley, and a single line from the club, where they say it's "business as usual." That's clearly an intern who is paid buttons to lift rumours from facebook.

The Scottish Sun repeats the story almost word for word with the same quotes, stating that they learned it from the Daily Mail. No news, no information.

The Herald has an "unnamed businessman" (pal of the reporter) giving his opinion of the generalities of whether or not Scottish football clubs may or may not be of interest to foreign investors. No news. No information.

The BBC "football gossip" page, has a link to the Daily Mail article.

Apart from that, if we hadn't signed an ex-currant bun, we wouldn't have even registered as a blip on any other site in the past week.

As a demonstration of how utterly dead journalism is this could be featured in Private Eye but, there is absolutely nothing to this story except for someone "in the know" on facebook.

If anyone has found any actual facts, please correct me.

There's no smoke without fire? There's no smoke without smoke.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go soak my computer in bleach after visiting those disgusting websites.

Fair comment, perhaps the consortium takeover bid wasn't widely reported by "every" major newspaper. Nevertheless, it was reported on by the The Sun, The Herald, The Daily Mail and The BBC.

If you're right and it's no more than rumours or gossip. Why don't the club simply issue a statement of the "facts", stating that there's no truth whatsoever, in the alleged takeover bid?

If the club were to put out such a statement, it would certainly help to clear up the matter and bring all this wild speculation to a close :)

On 6/27/2019 at 3:42 AM, Lenziejag said:

Just picking up on one point in your post. What’s the difference between having some players from Barnsley compared to loan players from a number of other clubs. I think we had about 5 in the squad after January ?

I guess having to negotiate with five different clubs and players that Thistle would be a good place to develop is better than having a job lot foisted on you by your big boys team. 

5 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

Widely reported? Let's see:

The Daily Mail posts a non-story with no attributable sources or real information, a eighteen-month-old quote from the owners of Barnsley, and a single line from the club, where they say it's "business as usual." That's clearly an intern who is paid buttons to lift rumours from facebook.

The Scottish Sun repeats the story almost word for word with the same quotes, stating that they learned it from the Daily Mail. No news, no information.

The Herald has an "unnamed businessman" (pal of the reporter) giving his opinion of the generalities of whether or not Scottish football clubs may or may not be of interest to foreign investors. No news. No information.

The BBC "football gossip" page, has a link to the Daily Mail article.

Apart from that, if we hadn't signed an ex-currant bun, we wouldn't have even registered as a blip on any other site in the past week.

As a demonstration of how utterly dead journalism is this could be featured in Private Eye but, there is absolutely nothing to this story except for someone "in the know" on facebook.

If anyone has found any actual facts, please correct me.

There's no smoke without fire? There's no smoke without smoke.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go soak my computer in bleach after visiting those disgusting websites.

Very well said, sir, especially the last bit.

9 minutes ago, jagfox said:

What about Hibernian FC?

you were  factually incorrect quoting both Clubs.  

So we  are not third choice  

If the  substance  of your point is about not being second choice now, then I guess I would rather our  owners have the opportunity to be second choice than any later choice. If it isn’t for then, fine. But if it is, better to have the opportunity before 38 other clubs. 

4 minutes ago, jaf said:

you were  factually incorrect quoting both Clubs.  

So we  are not third choice  

If the  substance  of your point is about not being second choice now, then I guess I would rather our  owners have the opportunity to be second choice than any later choice. If it isn’t for then, fine. But if it is, better to have the opportunity before 38 other clubs. 

Nah, I’m not that bothered if we’re first, second or whatever. I’d just like to know what their plans actually are. Not that that will matter one iota as the takeover will be decided by a handful of shareholders or it will come to nothing anyway.

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Nah, I’m not that bothered if we’re first, second or whatever. I’d just like to know what their plans actually are. Not that that will matter one iota as the takeover will be decided by a handful of shareholders or it will come to nothing anyway.

Doesn’t stop you  making assumptions on transfer policy of  potential incoming owners. 

Fact is none of us know. 

What we do know from other thread and Is factual rather than idle speculation is current board have their own business challenges and given those over spending tendencies seem to have been repeated at our club last season, perhaps that merits more challenge than challenging people who may never own our club about decisions they may never make even if they do ultimately own the club   Seems a better and more useful use of time to me  

10 hours ago, jaf said:

Doesn’t stop you  making assumptions on transfer policy of  potential incoming owners. 

Fact is none of us know. 

What we do know from other thread and Is factual rather than idle speculation is current board have their own business challenges and given those over spending tendencies seem to have been repeated at our club last season, perhaps that merits more challenge than challenging people who may never own our club about decisions they may never make even if they do ultimately own the club   Seems a better and more useful use of time to me  

I’m perfectly capable of looking at the current state of play and speculating on outcomes of any takeover. 

Constant sniping at the board by some doesn’t strike me as conducive to a united support either. With regards to our finances that could be seen as more speculation until we get the accounts issued? 

What we can say is the support has become fractured with some folk looking to undermine the club at every opportunity. Personally I have no particular loyalty to the past or present board. However despite many mistakes I don’t wish we were run by the regimes at Dundee, Yinited, Falkirk or even Morton. All clubs around our level at the moment. 

Last season was poor but I hope we can carry on our form from January and have a fair crack at promotion. Maybe even a cup run to bolster the playing funds and confidence. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I’m perfectly capable of looking at the current state of play and speculating on outcomes of any takeover. 

Constant sniping at the board by some doesn’t strike me as conducive to a united support either. With regards to our finances that could be seen as more speculation until we get the accounts issued? 

What we can say is the support has become fractured with some folk looking to undermine the club at every opportunity. Personally I have no particular loyalty to the past or present board. However despite many mistakes I don’t wish we were run by the regimes at Dundee, Yinited, Falkirk or even Morton. All clubs around our level at the moment. 

Last season was poor but I hope we can carry on our form from January and have a fair crack at promotion. Maybe even a cup run to bolster the playing funds and confidence. 

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Really looking forward to football being the focus of our attention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Re our finances - i don’t think the redundancies suggest a great financial picture but correct let’s wait and see. 

I think you are being unfair on Dundee United if you want to talk football  I was Speaking yesterday afternoon with directors of Montrose, Dundee United, east fife, st Johnstone and sports journalists  

the Dundee united owner seems to have praise from all of those people, especially after writing a cheque for 600k to go to enhancing youth development just last week  

Can’t disagree with the other clubs though  the problem is the board has split supporters  this has been done by ignoring emails from some people whilst having little cliques who get direct messages from the chair  that makes being ignored more irritating  especially when others state oh the chair is always communicative and responds to messages. I know lots of people who have found that not to be the case myself included.  If you go back to the root cause of the sniping at the board I imagine that plays a big part  so uniting the supporters won’t be done by lecturing pissed off supporters alone.  it will be done by a more inclusive set of behaviours by the board - it can be done I am sure, but suspect there is not a willingness to do so  

Edited by jaf

1 hour ago, jaf said:

Re our finances - i don’t think the redundancies suggest a great financial picture but correct let’s wait and see. 

I think you are being unfair on Dundee United if you want to talk football  I was Speaking yesterday afternoon with directors of Montrose, Dundee United, east fife, st Johnstone and sports journalists  

the Dundee united owner seems to have praise from all of those people, especially after writing a cheque for 600k to go to enhancing youth development just last week  

Can’t disagree with the other clubs though  the problem is the board has split supporters  this has been done by ignoring emails from some people whilst having little cliques who get direct messages from the chair  that makes being ignored more irritating  especially when others state oh the chair is always communicative and responds to messages. I know lots of people who have found that not to be the case myself included.  If you go back to the root cause of the sniping at the board I imagine that plays a big part  so uniting the supporters won’t be done by lecturing pissed off supporters alone.  it will be done by a more inclusive set of behaviours by the board - it can be done I am sure, but suspect there is not a willingness to do so  

I guess we will all have to wait and see if Yinited can get back to the top flight. Interesting that their new owner has been celebrated for putting £600,000 into their stagnant youth system. 

Whereas our benefactors have put around £2,000,000 and ring-fenced £4,000,000 for the proposed academy into our youth development. What do we get? A new thread from an apparently new poster saying the Academy is closing down. 

Agree with the board working on communications, and how they are delivered and in what tone.  This should apply to all fans and not just to potential sponsors. Although they should have their own contact. Hopefully that will improve going forward. As fans I feel we need to be less polarised and don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. The club have done something’s well enough. Then work together on the issues that need addressing. An effective Supporters Trust would be a start and not just an other mouthpiece for the board.

On things like the talk of a takeover and even the training ground they’ll be restricted in what, if anything, they can go into in public.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

I guess we will all have to wait and see if Yinited can get back to the top flight. Interesting that their new owner has been celebrated for putting £600,000 into their stagnant youth system. 

Whereas our benefactors have put around £2,000,000 and ring-fenced £4,000,000 for the proposed academy into our youth development. What do we get? A new thread from an apparently new poster saying the Academy is closing down. 

Agree with the board working on communications, and how they are delivered and in what tone.  This should apply to all fans and not just to potential sponsors. Although they should have their own contact. Hopefully that will improve going forward. As fans I feel we need to be less polarised and don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. The club have done something’s well enough. Then work together on the issues that need addressing. An effective Supporters Trust would be a start and not just an other mouthpiece for the board.

On things like the talk of a takeover and even the training ground they’ll be restricted in what, if anything, they can go into in public.

I am not sure why you mention “not just potential sponsors”? 

• admin locked this topic