New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

1 hour ago, eljaggo said:

I've no reason to doupt what you say Scotty, but I can't understand the relationship between the Weirs and Jacqui Low.  Perhaps wrongly, I took her to be the Weirs representative on the board, which if true, indicates something more than an interest in helping kids as you put it.

David Beattie brought Jlow on to the board not Colin weir 

54 minutes ago, scotty said:

Jaqui Low is a director of Three Black Cats, Colin Weir's company which is behind the plans for the training ground. The two are connected but I don't know if Low was appointed as a director because of her connection to Colin Weir as she only became a director of 3BC in 2019.

My point is more that Colin Weir has always steered clear of putting money directly into PTFC and there seems to be no change to that.

I assume she joined the board of 3BC this year as it looked as though it might be happening !

54 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Yes she represents the club .... i don’t think she knew Colin weir before David Beattie brought her on board 

The Weirs brought her on board to represent their media interests after they won the Euro Lottery I think.

I don't care whether or not we have slightly less then two thousand regular fans or slightly less than three thousand, or even slightly less than four thousand. Talk about getting bogged down in minutiae.

My point is there's no room to significantly grow in Glasgow and that there are many, many other clubs a lot more attractive than Thistle in Scotland - ones that actually wholly own their grounds for example, and one that isn't already boxed in with poxy student flats on one end, an immovable electricity transformer on the other, and a canal at the back.

Anyone wanting to buy Thistle who isn't already a fan and doing it for purely sentimental reasons should be flat-out refused on sanity grounds, or they're money launderers or something.

Edited by West of Scotland
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, allyo said:

"...I don't see how..."

In what way is the person who wrote this suggesting that they know something?

No. But assuming that they are here to make money, how can it be done ? There are 48 pages here and none have come up with a viable way to make any money out of Thistle

6 hours ago, douglas clark said:

" This is my problem. Rich American Investors are unlikely to by philanthropic benefactors. But I just don’t see how they can make money out of Thistle (legally). "

And you know this how?

Does anyone believe they are here to give us a pot of gold without wanting a return ? They are investors, not fans or benefactors. They will want their money back with profit

42 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

No. But assuming that they are here to make money, how can it be done ? There are 48 pages here and none have come up with a viable way to make any money out of Thistle

They would make money from Thistle by developing players to a level to get in the Barnsley team which gets them promoted to the EPL and the big bucks there. It certainly isn’t a certainty that this strategy will work.

Or maybe, they see the potential of the academy and know that they would have been to negotiate higher transfer fees for the likes of Lindsay and Fitzpatrick?

40 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

They would make money from Thistle by developing players to a level to get in the Barnsley team which gets them promoted to the EPL and the big bucks there. It certainly isn’t a certainty that this strategy will work.

Or maybe, they see the potential of the academy and know that they would have been to negotiate higher transfer fees for the likes of Lindsay and Fitzpatrick?

I think this is the area to look at ....it’s not about property 

53 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

First option, I don’t buy. They would get a better standard and lower investment by sending the players on loan to English 1st/2nd or Scottish Premiership clubs.

The second I don’t buy as the academy is not built and if it is, will belong to the Weirs. They could pull the plug at any time. Also the market for players at our level is not there as we have seen this week with Fitz and Shanks.

There must be a motive but I just don’t get it

• Like 1

I think if everyone was able to see the ways to make money out of things we would all be entrepreneurs!

i do think the level of investment needed to greatly improve our position is modest compared to other countries   

When you are trying to build a suite of football clubs around the globe, you require success stories to convince other clubs owners and fans of your merits  

if we were st Johnstone - cup winners and perennially safe in the premier league , I think that would be an improved position for our club  to get there would take some good running of the club and what a few million quid over a few years?  However in England that would be tens of millions to make a similar impact  

I think we are cheap and relatively easy to make “successful” if you have the money and that helps make them money elsewhere perhaps in other deals  

Just my thoughts and could be way off beam but in terms of this thread and no one articulating a business case, I do think the reasons could be wider than narrowly just about partick thistle  it’s hard to speculate about the reasons people we do not no might do something, but I would rather speculate positively than make all sorts of utterly unfounded accusations about money laundering and the like that some people are making  

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

Yes your thoughts and mine are the same [I think].

At the moment we are a 'selling' club who will sell their exceptional talent on, and reinvest that money to further the status of PTFC, the aim being one day we finally establish the club as a top 6 SPL team.

If the rumoured new owners have it in their mind to have us the bottom tier of a football ladder which is  there only for the greater good of the club at the top of the ladder, there is a problem.

To me a scenario as describe above would end in one of two ways …. either the club would fold due to lack of interest {fan base in the hundreds] or we would, eventually, after a load of heartache have another 'Save our Jags' campaign where we try to buy ownership of the club back from whoever owns it.

In a roundabout way I am saying …… any potential owner [if they have their sensible heads on] needs to engage with the fan base before buying this club.

Couldn't agree more. There's excitement and concern in equal measure with this possible new ownership and you're right, they need to tell us what their long term intention with us is. Even at that, if they own 75% and lose interest we could, as fans, be in trouble. Far too many unknowns at this point.

I'm not of the mind set that the owner of a club has to be local and has to be a proper fan, but when things go wrong having a fan at the helm, at the very least, gives some comfort that they won't just walk away.

Right now, if the choice were, stay as we are or, take a shot at proper funding and become a club that could genuinely compete for a cup and or European qualification, but that there might be a possibility you'll become a Clydebank, Gretna, third lanark.........easy decision. Unfortunately I don't expect to have any say as a fan, so is I come in to any money I'm registering FC Partick Thistle just in case

Was speaking to a mate about this. He compared it to Tranmere, his local team. It was bought by Mark Palios (ex head England FA chap) and he has turned the club round. Additional income revenue from utilising existing resources such as their hospitality suites being used on non-match days for events, conferences, parties etc , a better match day experience, upgraded and repaired the stadium, back to back promotions.

He wasn’t in it to launder money, or make a few quid on a land deal. 

Yes, investors want a return on their money and in football the way to do that is to have a successful team in the boardroom, dugout and on the pitch. If we win trophies and play competitively in the top league I don’t mind if someone is making a few quid as a result. Because my team will be winning. And that’s what I want to see.

• Like 4

• admin locked this topic