New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Jagsman is asking interesting questions.

Is Gary Caldwell about to be sacked?

I'd assume not. It is argueable that his 'spread sheet' theory of football is actually very attractive to our potential new overlords.

I share his worries that fans are not getting meaningful updates.

This is a tough question. There has to be a gavotte whilst the two sides find common or uncommon ground. How that works out matters to fans like you, me and Jagsman.

The good, or bad, future of our club is at stake here. And we have inadequate information to determine that, as fans.

Our exclusion from that discussion is both understandable and frustrating, equally.

I have been insultingly angry about this.

Put that down to a lack of up-dates, and a lack of news.  It is a heck of a frustrating.

What we have seen, so far, is what they want us to see, so far.

It is "a riddle, wrapped in an enigma..."

Maybe

20 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Jagsman is asking interesting questions.

Is Gary Caldwell about to be sacked?

I'd assume not. It is argueable that his 'spread sheet' theory of football is actually very attractive to our potential new overlords.

I share his worries that fans are not getting meaningful updates.

This is a tough question. There has to be a gavotte whilst the two sides find common or uncommon ground. How that works out matters to fans like you, me and Jagsman.

The good, or bad, future of our club is at stake here. And we have inadequate information to determine that, as fans.

Our exclusion from that discussion is both understandable and frustrating, equally.

I have been insultingly angry about this.

Put that down to a lack of up-dates, and a lack of news.  It is a heck of a frustrating.

What we have seen, so far, is what they want us to see, so far.

It is "a riddle, wrapped in an enigma..."

Maybe

If there is no deal done or collapsed what kind of update would there be ....discussions are continuing ? I think we can assume that till there is a decision either way 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alexander livingstone said:

Are we not waiting on league approval

Probably, and maybe both sides of the border at that. 

javeajag is correct in what he says. Almost certainly negotiations are still going on hence the absolute "no news". What could be more concerning is the timescale. I've no faith in our Scottish administrators getting their fingers out even in rubber stamp situations. "Due diligence" to that shower can mean doing hee haw but taking your time to make it look like they have been conscientious. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCjag said:

Curiously, they seemed able to decide that Craig Whyte and Charles Green were fit and proper persons with almost indecent haste.

....not to mention that multiply-convicted fraudster Giovanni di Stefano, that they allowed to run Dundee.

It might be "due", but it's definitely not "diligence".

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Dick Dastardly said:

I see from the BBC that some multi millionaire is looking to buy Falkirk and turn them into a Premiership competitive club. Why all this interest in buying Scottish clubs and they can’t all get the success that they promise, so what happens when their world domination plans fail ?

It's unlikely that the value of any football club to a multi-millionaire investor lies in footballing achievements - at least, at our level. As we all know, football clubs are money pits. Their value may lie in their losses - useful for offsetting tax, having a company in the right tax jurisdiction (and the reputation of the UK is unsavoury - which is why all those Russian oligarchs are domiciled in London, and why limited partnerships in Scotland are used as fronts) or simply, to be blunt, for money laundering. Profit, a soundly run club or footballing titles and trophies are not necessarily the aim here. :(

4 hours ago, Fearchar said:

It's unlikely that the value of any football club to a multi-millionaire investor lies in footballing achievements - at least, at our level. As we all know, football clubs are money pits. Their value may lie in their losses - useful for offsetting tax, having a company in the right tax jurisdiction (and the reputation of the UK is unsavoury - which is why all those Russian oligarchs are domiciled in London, and why limited partnerships in Scotland are used as fronts) or simply, to be blunt, for money laundering. Profit, a soundly run club or footballing titles and trophies are not necessarily the aim here. :(

One of them at least is a Falkirk fan

4 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

....not to mention that multiply-convicted fraudster Giovanni di Stefano, that they allowed to run Dundee.

It might be "due", but it's definitely not "diligence".

We may not be at that stage yet or it could be with the EFL

I’m hoping it’s a complete windup but it’s been posted on Facebook that the board have told Caldwell to scrap 4 players he had lined up to sign to save costs and to make the club easier to sell

Someone else stated they have also axed the team bus to save costs - that’s pretty amateurish if that’s the case but far more concerning if it’s true is to stop us signing more players and undermining surely a promotion bid.  If it’s the case then I’d be disappointed in Beattie and co seeming more concerned about selling the club than promotion.

anyone heard anything? Hoping it’s just some idiot making things up because they are bored 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Fearchar said:

... (and the reputation of the UK is unsavoury - which is why all those Russian oligarchs are domiciled in London, and why limited partnerships in Scotland are used as fronts) or simply, to be blunt, for money laundering. ...

Complete and utter, I’ll informed, unsubstantiated nonsense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I’m hoping it’s a complete windup but it’s been posted on Facebook that the board have told Caldwell to scrap 4 players he had lined up to sign to save costs and to make the club easier to sell

Someone else stated they have also axed the team bus to save costs - that’s pretty amateurish if that’s the case but far more concerning if it’s true is to stop us signing more players and undermining surely a promotion bid.  If it’s the case then I’d be disappointed in Beattie and co seeming more concerned about selling the club than promotion.

anyone heard anything? Hoping it’s just some idiot making things up because they are bored 

Sounds total bull to me.

16 hours ago, Fearchar said:

I would say the legal and accountancy professions might disagree with you here. Money laundering is at the forefront of professional lives daily - in the uk, if anything, we are almost over-regulated. 

Edited by jaf

9 hours ago, Big Col said:

Sounds total bull to me.

Let’s not sign players so that we are lower down the league and less competitive so that will make us easier to sell.?  Sounds an utterly ridiculous tactic. 

I think perhaps the allegiances of those posting this ought to be illuminating   

That said, it may well be the case that the signing of 4 more players has been scrapped. Just for different reasons/motivations. 

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

The sheer lack of logic behind this story has been commented on here already. Caldwell is quoted in the Evening Times that we're still looking for "three or four" players to bolster the squad. No suggestion that he's been told that there's to be no more signings.

As for the bus thing - what?! We've so little money that we can't hire a coach to go to Alloa! Despite the money that's recently gone into the club from the transfers of Lindsey and Fitzpatrick and despite the previous board members threatening to take anyone to court who suggested that the club's finances are in anything other than rude health?

I think the suggestion that the motivation for these stories might be boredom is very generous. Someone is at it, I think, and given that we play our first league game this afternoon, I'd suggest they don't have the best interests of Partick Thistle at heart.

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

The bus story is true. The players ha e been told to make their own way to Alloa this afternoon.

As for signings, can’t confirm but story I’ve been told is that there has been one signing ‘postponed’ this week.

Unsure whether this is cash flow or new owners. Time will tell. Not good though.

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

The bus story is true. The players ha e been told to make their own way to Alloa this afternoon.

As for signings, can’t confirm but story I’ve been told is that there has been one signing ‘postponed’ this week.

Unsure whether this is cash flow or new owners. Time will tell. Not good though.

If true regards the bus that seems very poor especially as there was cash to fly squad including trialist over to La Manga.

I would remind people of the Open Day next Saturday:

11:00 – The Jackie Husband Stand opens to supporters.

12:00 – The open training session begins with the First Team and Partick Thistle Women’s Team.

13:30 – Signing session in the Jackie Husband concourse. Meet all the Thistle players as well as Gary Caldwell, Brian Kerr and Kenny Arthur.

14:30 – Partick Thistle Football Club Trust meeting.

15:30 – Meet the Manager and Board in the Alan Rough Lounge for a question and answer session.

Hopefully the Board will have some answers to what, I am sure, will be some precise questioning. Lets hope given this opportunity plenty of people turn up.

• admin locked this topic