Over Land and Sea

jagfox

Saturday 22nd June, 2019 at 9:55am

Gary Caldwell and the Partick Thistle first team head out to La Manga for a six day intensive pre-season training camp this coming Monday. Staying at the prestigious La Manga Club, the team will have full access to top class facilities including, FIFA standard training pitches, a fully equipped gym, swimming pools and the facility’s state of the art high performance centre.

The players will be put through their paces with intense double sessions to ensure they are in peak physical and psychological condition for the challenging season to come.

Speaking ahead of the trip, Gary Caldwell said:

“It will be a very focused trip with plenty of hard work being done as we try to get into the right shape physically ahead of the season starting. We’ll try to introduce more game-like scenarios and ramp up the intensity a bit to help us get there.

“I believe the trip will be extremely important to our pre-season preparations. Beyond the training aspect of it, getting away will hopefully bring the team closer together and help us build the right atmosphere in the dressing room before the football starts up for the season on July 13th.

“Changing the environment can also be key, pre-season can be a long process which might become quite monotonous and players can tire themselves out mentally before they even get to competitive games. Getting away from your usual surroundings gives you something a bit different and can re-energise you. It breaks up the pre-season a bit too so we aren’t just out training on the same pitch for two months straight.”

Good to see some more warm weather training on the go. Hopefully we can get a good start out of the blocks this season!

10 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Good to see some more warm weather training on the go. Hopefully we can get a good start out of the blocks this season!

Only one question. Whose paying for the sun tan lotion, if it's not the club, does this mean we are being subsidised?

10 minutes ago, jagfox said:

At our level just now it is a complete and utter waste of money and resources if the Club are paying for it , we need good football players into the Club , the money would have been better spent that way to give us a real chance of doing something next season.

Going to a training camp with 1 recongnised forward in Lewis Mansell and 1 forward on trial from the 9th tier of English football isn’t ideal preparation for a season that starts in 3 weeks .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jagfox said:

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

At our level just now it is a complete and utter waste of money and resources if the Club are paying for it , we need good football players into the Club , the money would have been better spent that way to give us a real chance of doing something next season.

Going to a training camp with 1 recongnised forward in Lewis Mansell and 1 forward on trial from the 9th tier of English football isn’t ideal preparation for a season that starts in 3 weeks .

From the quote posted by jagfox this makes perfect sense. If we as a club can afford it and it gives us an edge, which it did at the end of last season, then good on them.

I can remember 4 weeks of running round a football pitch day after day like it was yesterday and it was simply sh1te.  Only good thing was that summers in the 70's were bakingly hot, don't remember any rain but then I was just a kid.

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

This is the same facilities used by Viking, Rosenberg and Brann every year, they really are excellently set up

Not disagreeing the facilities are excellent but do we really need to take £600 a week football players away to a first class facility like that to get them physically fit .

Clubs that you mentioned especially Rosenberg who are a Champion’s League team I would imagine are financially more resourced than we are at this moment.

Would much rather have spent the money on 2 new Centre Forwards .

42 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

From the quote posted by jagfox this makes perfect sense. If we as a club can afford it and it gives us an edge, which it did at the end of last season, then good on them.

I can remember 4 weeks of running round a football pitch day after day like it was yesterday and it was simply sh1te.  Only good thing was that summers in the 70's were bakingly hot, don't remember any rain but then I was just a kid.

Our main edge from last season was the introduction of Scott Macdonald, not the trip to Tenerife.

No Scott Macdonald last part of the season and we get relegated 

Our best spell of results and performances coincided or indeed was facilitated by our trip to Tenerife. Caldwell has spoken repeatedly of the boost it gave to Shea Gordon. 

Skippy was a godsend and boosted those around him, but the warm weather training was beneficial to overall fitness and team spirit from what I could see. 

Signings will happen, don’t worry on that score. A lot of teams have still to return to preseason training up here and it’s a week or two away down south. 

Players may even be more receptive to joining a team being professional in its preseason plans rather than running up and down sand dunes...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Our best spell of results and performances coincided or indeed was facilitated by our trip to Tenerife. Caldwell has spoken repeatedly of the boost it gave to Shea Gordon. 

Skippy was a godsend and boosted those around him, but the warm weather training was beneficial to overall fitness and team spirit from what I could see. 

Signings will happen, don’t worry on that score. A lot of teams have still to return to preseason training up here and it’s a week or two away down south. 

Players may even be more receptive to joining a team being professional in its preseason plans rather than running up and down sand dunes...

Don’t really disagree with what you’re saying, more about the financial implications, if you’re getting a Premier League team like St Johnstone saying they couldn’t afford it , not really sure how we can with our decreased turnover 

The facilities at La Manga don’t come cheap , think Premier League Teams like Leicester have been over there as well , financially we’re not in the same league of any of these teams mentioned.

Sometimes you’ve got to cut your cloth accordingly .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Don’t really disagree with what you’re saying, more about the financial implications, if you’re getting a Premier League team like St Johnstone saying they couldn’t afford it , not really sure how we can with our decreased turnover 

The facilities at La Manga don’t come cheap , think Premier League Teams like Leicester have been over there as well , financially we’re not in the same league of any of these teams mentioned.

I’m looking at if from the perspective that the manager is trying to maximise and develop the players at the club. We have a decent core at the moment. In terms of players in I think we’re looking at 6 maybe 7 players ( assuming no departures) in if including a goalkeeper to compete with Sneddon. The manager stated he didn’t spend half of his January budget. With Lindsay cash and the £300k for the parachute payment I think the training camp won’t impinge directly on the transfer targets the management team want to bring in.

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Not disagreeing the facilities are excellent but do we really need to take £600 a week football players away to a first class facility like that to get them physically fit .

Clubs that you mentioned especially Rosenberg who are a Champion’s League team I would imagine are financially more resourced than we are at this moment.

Would much rather have spent the money on 2 new Centre Forwards .

It’s a bloody expensive facility to be fair and usually the Viking sponsors pay it due to the  cost

It's a great initiative.

Would have made more sense if there was 90% of a squad together though.

There isn't, so maybe GC's time could have been better spent at home identifying and signing players to fill the glaring gaps in the existing squad.

Who will be doing that while they are all in La Manga???

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

It's a great initiative.

Would have made more sense if there was 90% of a squad together though.

There isn't, so maybe GC's time could have been better spent at home identifying and signing players to fill the glaring gaps in the existing squad.

Who will be doing that while they are all in La Manga???

We've got a chief scout now and you'd assume we have a list of targets.  It's not as if it's the manager who puts the contracts in place. I'm sure if any signings are to be made he can just give the nay or yay over the phone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

It seems we have cut our cloth and the accountant has said we can afford LaManga. You and I are just fans, what do we know

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Our main edge from last season was the introduction of Scott Macdonald, not the trip to Tenerife.

No Scott Macdonald last part of the season and we get relegated 

Macdonald was just one of the reasons we stayed up. A crucial one but not the only reason. All I'm saying is that if we get off to a flyer it'll be worth it if indeed the trip doesn't put us into liquidation, then you can say told you so.

14 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Vikings are getting soft these days - what happened to turning up in longboats with axes and taking what you wanted!

Blame UEFA for that, you can barely tackle without a booking these day let alone invade your oppositions ground In longboats with axes.

Games gone soft 

• Like 2