doolan

harrywrag

47 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If he did, he was bang on. Just a pity he was too useless to implement it.

Got to disagree DD , you need good people around your Club who’ve got an affinity with the Club and want to see them do well .

The majority of Clubs certainly in Scotland do this , not really sure why we should be different.

Dundee Utd.       (Neilson and Bowman )    Hamilton               ( Imrie and McKinnon)                             Ross County        (Brittain , Ferguson , Kettlewell        St Mirren                ( Junior Mendez )                                       Kilmarnock            ( Andy Millen , James Fowler )         Hibernian                ( Eddie May)                                               Aberdeen                ( Paul Sheerin , Barry Robson)       Motherwell             ( Lasley , Hammell , Clarkson )         Celtic                           ( Kennedy , McManus, O’dea )

All these teams seem to think different from Caldwell’s philosophy, he didn’t get what PTFC were all about, didn’t understand the supporters which actually drove supporters away .

I would take Erskine and Doolan back in a minute in some capacity, it would certainly galvanise the Club IMO .

17 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to disagree DD , you need good people around your Club who’ve got an affinity with the Club and want to see them do well .

The majority of Clubs certainly in Scotland do this , not really sure why we should be different.

Dundee Utd.       (Neilson and Bowman )    Hamilton               ( Imrie and McKinnon)                             Ross County        (Brittain , Ferguson , Kettlewell        St Mirren                ( Junior Mendez )                                       Kilmarnock            ( Andy Millen , James Fowler )         Hibernian                ( Eddie May)                                               Aberdeen                ( Paul Sheerin , Barry Robson)       Motherwell             ( Lasley , Hammell , Clarkson )         Celtic                           ( Kennedy , McManus, O’dea )

All these teams seem to think different from Caldwell’s philosophy, he didn’t get what PTFC were all about, didn’t understand the supporters which actually drove supporters away .

I would take Erskine and Doolan back in a minute in some capacity, it would certainly galvanise the Club IMO .

20 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

And does a genuine love for the club guarantee success? Doolan, relegated, Erskine, relegated, Archibald, relegated( twice), Britton, disastrous appointment. This job for the boys pish hasn't worked in the past. McCall? A totally underwhelming performance as boss.

Love of the club is certainly no guarantee of success

Edited by Dick Dastardly

15 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Love of the club is certainly no guarantee of success

No guarantee of success but Caldwell with his divisive nature drove supporters away and as you said quite correctly wasn’t very good at what he did as a manager.

One recent example of a Club who’ve turned it around at roughly our level are Morton , changed manager to David Hopkins who obviously had an affinity with the Club , got the supporters back on side , results better , Hospitality and Sponsorship increased etc

There is absolutely no doubt bringing back Doolan and/or Erskine in some capacity would help us get supporters back onside.

25 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

No guarantee of success but Caldwell with his divisive nature drove supporters away and as you said quite correctly wasn’t very good at what he did as a manager.

One recent example of a Club who’ve turned it around at roughly our level are Morton , changed manager to David Hopkins who obviously had an affinity with the Club , got the supporters back on side , results better , Hospitality and Sponsorship increased etc

There is absolutely no doubt bringing back Doolan and/or Erskine in some capacity would help us get supporters back onside.

I actually think Hopkins reception at Morton is not quite as rosy as you think mate. Throughout December most of their fans were actually calling for his head

44 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I actually think Hopkins reception at Morton is not quite as rosy as you think mate. Throughout December most of their fans were actually calling for his head

That’s true , but the final 12 games of the season they were top of the form league above Dundee United and Dundee , there has been a big turn around on a small budget.

38 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s true , but the final 12 games of the season they were top of the form league above Dundee United and Dundee , there has been a big turn around on a small budget.

Slightly off topic but I have never been a firm believer that Mortons budget is that small - remember before they could easily afford to pay Brian Graham and Peter Weatherson far more than we could offer them.  Also considerring the average support they have about 1500 easily 1000 below us they appear to have run up a loss most years indicating they are paying well over the odds for what they can really afford

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

As the "capacity" they'd be returning in is so vague it would probably only be affordable if they did it in a voluntary basis!

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Slightly off topic but I have never been a firm believer that Mortons budget is that small - remember before they could easily afford to pay Brian Graham and Peter Weatherson far more than we could offer them.  Also considerring the average support they have about 1500 easily 1000 below us they appear to have run up a loss most years indicating they are paying well over the odds for what they can really afford

Brian Graham came through as a youth at Greenock Morton around 2006, not playing regularly until 2007/08.  Young players, probably even today, tend not to be paid a great deal of money.

His highest goal tally, not withstanding a loan spell at East Stirling, came in his last season  with 9 goals and he left to join Raith at the age of 24. I'm not sure many people were enthusiastic for us to sign him until after his spell at Raith when he piled them in.

5 minutes ago, scotty said:

As the "capacity" they'd be returning in is so vague it would probably only be affordable if they did it in a voluntary basis!

The timing may not be quite right, but one day I’d like to see Doolan & Erskine as our management team. I think it could happen and be a success.

27 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

only if they are the best candidates for the job. What I don't want to see is more jobs for the boys.

But they have been doing their coaching badges, with a view to moving into football management. They have Thistle at heart and I would love to see them work as a management team for us.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:55 PM, jlsarmy said:

He is clearly a decent manager. Look waht he did at Livvy.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:02 PM, sandy said:

The timing may not be quite right, but one day I’d like to see Doolan & Erskine as our management team. I think it could happen and be a success.

I agree and hope it does happen at some point but not yet.