Doolan

Bobbyhouston? Sine die.

We could beef up our backroom staff, for example:

Goalkeeping Coach - Kenny Arthur

Defensive Coach - Conrad Balatoni

Midfield Coach - Kris Erskine

Attacking Coach - Kris Doolan

Teamworking as a Unit Coach - Dick Campbell assisted by Gerry Collins 

Chief Scout - Gary Caldwell (we really need someone who has an eye for a player) 

Team Manager - Ian McCall assisted by Archibald & Scally

A new owner from either China or Malaysia would be good - Tongue in Cheek! 

Some really good options here!

11 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Chief Scout - Gary Caldwell (we really need someone who has an eye for a player) 

Their combined weight these days, beef up is about right

6 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Disciplinary Coach -  Chic Charnley

If we can get doolan and erskine on the cheap as backup then i would take them back in a heartbeat. They will serve as more than players and would be role models for the younger ones. I wouldn't however move them into the team for rudden, lyons, senna unless their form took a major dip.

Edited by Pinhead
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

If we can get doolan and erskine on the cheap as backup then i would take them back in a heartbeat. They will serve as more than players and would be role models for the younger ones. I wouldn't however move them into the team for rudden, lyons, senna unless their form took a major dip.

Agree. But for me the jury is still out on Rudden, although i don't think he has been fully fit for us.

14 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree. But for me the jury is still out on Rudden, although i don't think he has been fully fit for us.

I agree, time will tell. I think he was injured down at Plymouth and had a niggle when he first arrived at us but may be wrong. His scoring exploits at Falkirk while good were not out of this world. I would sit him at 60/40 in favor just now and that is only cause he has age on his side.

4 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Unfortunately we simply cannot afford anything on bir part players now because of nostalgia.  Neither did anything much the last couple of seasons and while we could have maybe had them in the scenario you describe in the championship we simply cannot afford them in league one

Edited by Third Lanark

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Unfortunately we simply cannot afford anything on bir part players now because of nostalgia.  Neither did anything much the last couple of seasons and while we could have maybe had them in the scenario you describe in the championship we simply cannot afford them in league one

Yes but if they are willing to accept the peanuts on offer in the lowland league a player who was comfortable in the premiership in Erskine and a player suitable for Championship lower end now in Doolan i think it is worth the gamble as backup.

28 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Yes but if they are willing to accept the peanuts on offer in the lowland league a player who was comfortable in the premiership in Erskine and a player suitable for Championship lower end now in Doolan i think it is worth the gamble as backup.

But would they come to Thistle  if not playing regularly?

As I said before I'd rather see Erskine at Firhill than Cardle. That tho' is not me saying we should necessarily sign Erskine. First and foremost we need 90 minute players with pace throughout the team/squad. Our best chance of coming back up will be thru full timers trumping a league that's predominately made up of part time clubs. You do that largely thru pace and stamina. If we have a squad over reliant on players, no matter how good, whose best days are behind them we'll struggle.

That's not saying we won't need a few old heids, we will, but it's not a priority. Where I'm with Pinhead 100% is that these old heids have to be players with the right character and attitude, role models if you like. 

• Like 1

For me, Dolan and Erskine were part of the problem, not a solution. I’ll not dispute that they have the skill, but neither were able to last 90 mins. Normally they would be subbed after 60 mins, using up 2 of our 3 subs and restricting the managers options to change things around late in a game. (WhetherArchibald, Caldwell or McCall had the nouse to do it is another question, but they didn’t have it as an option. 

As a result we more often than not fell away late in games, often because we were carrying a player who ideally should have been subbed earlier. Happy to see either coming back in a purely coaching capacity, providing they are any good at it, but playing days, even at League One level is now behind them. As for use as a backup, I’d much rather see our younger players given a chance.

Edited by Dick Dastardly
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

For me, Dolan and Erskine were part of the problem, not a solution. I’ll not dispute that they have the skill, but neither were able to last 90 mins. Normally they would be subbed after 60 mins, using up 2 of our 3 subs and restricting the managers options to change things around late in a game. (WhetherArchibald, Caldwell or McCall had the nouse to do it is another question, but they didn’t have it as an option. 

As a result we more often than not fell away late in games, often because we were carrying a player who ideally should have been subbed earlier. Happy to see either coming back in a purely coaching capacity, providing they are any good at it, but playing days, even at League One level is now behind them. As for use as a backup, I’d much rather see our younger players given a chance.

Agree and just to add that I commonly heard that they were part of a great atmosphere in the dressing room, but neither were able to stop what must have been an awful atmosphere in the dressing room latterly under Archibald and under Caldwell.

if we were in the championship then we might, thats only a night have the funds to get them in as part time coaches but not in league one where we are going to have to engage in massive cost cutting