Miller signs

marco77

3 hours ago, Big Col said:

Oh what a coup. Our marquee signing is a 39 year old at the end of his career who’s pals with the manager. 

So we have a strike force of someone who can’t score goals and someone who can’t last 90 minutes.

Premier League here we come.

No problem with anyone voicing their opinion but if you get it wrong spectacularly cine back on the forum and be contrite. I can remember a few anti McDonald forum posters coming back on sheepishly. But not all. Remind me Col were you anti mcdonald or not?

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

Cardle and Fitzpatrick I think are capable of playing a more central role (advance midfield, even off the striker) but of course they'll have more competition in the midfield area.

Gotta disagree Mr B. re Cardle. Aiden is young enough to learn and develop to play more than just wide right.

Joe is a one trick pony regards position. Fortunately he is very good at cutting in from wide left. He does I admit score/shoot from the positions you mention but always from drifting in from the left.

13 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

No problem with anyone voicing their opinion but if you get it wrong spectacularly cine back on the forum and be contrite. I can remember a few anti McDonald forum posters coming back on sheepishly. But not all. Remind me Col were you anti mcdonald or not?

I was one of the fans who didn't think McDonald would do a job for us. Because he hadn't played since the end of the 17/18 season and I also thought his media work would also make it harder for him to do a good job for us. He proved me wrong and I was very happy to say so on the forum, although I don't think I came on sheepishly to do it. I also found out when I presented him with the Robert Watson player of the year trophy that he is a very nice guy and he was more than happy to chat with my wife and I about Robert. We also got some great photo's with us, Scott and the trophy. I hope Kenny does a very good job for us because he is playing for Thistle and no matter what team/teams a player has played for in the past as soon as they start playing for us I want them to do well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

I was one of the fans who didn't think McDonald would do a job for us. Because he hadn't played since the end of the 17/18 season and I also thought his media work would also make it harder for him to do a good job for us. He proved me wrong and I was very happy to say so on the forum, although I don't think I came on sheepishly to do it. I also found out when I presented him with the Robert Watson player of the year trophy that he is a very nice guy and he was more than happy to chat with my wife and I about Robert. We also got some great photo's with us, Scott and the trophy. I hope Kenny does a very good job for us because he is playing for Thistle and no matter what team/teams a player has played for in the past as soon as they start playing for us I want them to do well.

Well said Sir. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Gotta disagree Mr B. re Cardle. Aiden is young enough to learn and develop to play more than just wide right.

Joe is a one trick pony regards position. Fortunately he is very good at cutting in from wide left. He does I admit score/shoot from the positions you mention but always from drifting in from the left.

Did he not score cutting in from right, Alloa at home, 2-1?

I do agree he is a wide player only, with out left being his favoured role, but I think he can do a job on both sides.

I really hope he gets goals and still has the legs to last the majority of the game, but my gut tells me it won’t happen.

I stated when we signed MacDonald that he’d get 10 as I knew how fit he was from my mate who coaches withMotherwell plus I’d heard nothing but praise of his character.

Miller doesn’t have the same character or fitness/stamina, but is a different style of player. 

Welcome to Firhill Kenny and please prove me wrong

5 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

Welcome Kenny. I liked your interview on Jagzone and I like what I hear from you in your frequent Sportsound contributions. The fires are still burning bright and I can give quite a few examples of sportsmen who go on successfully much longer than average. I think you labour  the point, and it is a good one, that your ideas align well the manager's, too.

Go for it! And I hope you enjoy your time at Firhill because the club needs all the geeing up that people can give it.

Good positive post sir. How many times have we signed a multi million pound player who has shone in the champions league. Im caring less about his age with every negative post. I loved dools and still do but things with us had gone stale. While im not comparing like for like we and he needed a change and this new guy has scored goals everywhere he's been. I know this is not a long term signing but could be crucial in the short term. He has a scoring track record. None of the other striker we have do.

I still remember his lone up front performances for Scotland and it's not an understatement to say he was an outstanding contributor to the national team over many years. We need this attitude from the off next season to counter so many p1ss poor starts we have had over the last 5 seasons. Mon jags

13 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I wouldn’t say anti McDonald. I had my doubts like anyone else, but I don’t think you can compare the 2 players as like for like. And absolutely, I’ll come back on at the end of the season to eat humble pie if our strikers score a barrowload between them.

17 hours ago, Big Col said:

Oh what a coup. Our marquee signing is a 39 year old at the end of his career who’s pals with the manager. 

So we have a strike force of someone who can’t score goals and someone who can’t last 90 minutes.

Premier League here we come.

Was my immediate gut reaction too.

However, I'll make the assumption for the present that Caldo is not acting out of desperation and that this is part of the plan.

We still appear rather light on the striker front, perhaps Caldo's game priority is to set us up to be 'hard to beat'.

The proof of the pudding etc.

5 hours ago, Big Col said:

I wouldn’t say anti McDonald. I had my doubts like anyone else, but I don’t think you can compare the 2 players as like for like. And absolutely, I’ll come back on at the end of the season to eat humble pie if our strikers score a barrowload between them.

If miller turns out to be a disaster I will equally eat humble pie. Let's hope whoever are forwards are propel us up to the league! 

• Like 1

It's curious (and rather tiring) how often Archie's mistakes get used to justify GC's decisions. AA got us promoted and into the top 6 - the best times I have had as Jag fan out with the Lambie years. There's no way on earth our current manager will achieve anything near this, I just don't  see it.

Ask for signing  Kenny Miller, I don't know any Thistle fan who would have willingly replaced Doolan for Kenny Miller. I've read all the views of those supportive of GC and their justifications  for him binning Doolan, but no, not for me thanks. I believe a lot of ill feeling still resonates amongst fans about this.

When the next manager arrives it would be a master stroke for them to resign Doolan, especially  if he does well at Ayr this season.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Sinistar said:

It's curious (and rather tiring) how often Archie's mistakes get used to justify GC's decisions. AA got us promoted and into the top 6 - the best times I have had as Jag fan out with the Lambie years. There's no way on earth our current manager will achieve anything near this, I just don't  see it.

Ask for signing  Kenny Miller, I don't know any Thistle fan who would have willingly replaced Doolan for Kenny Miller. I've read all the views of those supportive of GC and their justifications  for him binning Doolan, but no, not for me thanks. I believe a lot of ill feeling still resonates amongst fans about this.

When the next manager arrives it would be a master stroke for them to resign Doolan, especially  if he does well at Ayr this season.

Because miller is a replacement for McDonald not Doolan. I doubt he will be as good as McDonald but at this stage it’s simply too early to say.

fact is in terms of signings Caldwell has done better than Archie at least albeit in only one transfer window each player he signed bar Harkins and Roy were an improvement, Archies signings for the most part last season looked like they had been picked out a lucky dip. In McDonald Caldwell brought in someone Archie could not do in 5 years an out and out goal scorer.

time will tell whether he reaches top 6 but given he has only been here 6 months it’s too early to tell, was it not 4 years or so before Archie managed it

Edited by Third Lanark

12 hours ago, Sinistar said:

All of this. 

As said before I personally am starting the season with a clean slate and hope everyone else can do likewise. I'd hate for the new season to be a re hash of all the bad blood and perceived blunders of last season. If criticism is due I sure hope it is for fresh reasons and the past isnt used. That said I hope it's a winning streak from the off and the forum is full of positivity.

You are right with the doolan aspect of the post but can we try and move on from it. We can't change what has happened, and let's not forget but move on?