Miller signs

marco77

Much as I agree with Sinistar's post I feel we have to wait a wee while to see if Caldwell signs a striker that we can truly say is Doolan's replacement. The fact that we've not signed this player yet suggests that Caldwell either never had a replacement lined up or the proposed player never signed. That strikes me as just a bit strange but as I say we'll have to wait and see. The striker in question should be considerably younger than Doolan with either enough proven quality or have considerable potential.

Btw I feel the difference between the McDonald & Miller signings is that Caldwell can take much credit for bringing in the former. Friend or not, unlike Miller, he had to coax McDonald out of retirement.  

If we accept that Miller is a replacement for McDonald, then who is the replacement for Doolan?

The fact that there isn't one yet tells us much about about the circumstances of his departure. Kris was shoved out of the door by our current manager for an unnamed reason, and it is very likely to have been personal, rather than lack of application, attitude or professionalism.

Compare and contrast with the way our manager's former club handled the departure of Henrik Larsson, whose contribution and standing to that club was similar to that of Kris Doolan's for Partick Thistle.

You can all draw your own conclusion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

If we accept that Miller is a replacement for McDonald, then who is the replacement for Doolan?

The fact that there isn't one yet tells us much about about the circumstances of his departure. Kris was shoved out of the door by our current manager for an unnamed reason, and it is very likely to have been personal, rather than lack of application, attitude or professionalism.

Compare and contrast with the way our manager's former club handled the departure of Henrik Larsson, whose contribution and standing to that club was similar to that of Kris Doolan's for Partick Thistle.

In conclusion. Caldwell is an odious guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

If we also accept that Caldwell had no room for Doolan in his plans then why should he be looking to replace him?

11 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A strike force of Doolan and anyone wouldn't see us challenging. Some people have rose tinted glasses. Doolan was done.

Time will tell if Doolan is as you put it 'done'. Of course being at a new team and also having a manager who rates him could reinvigorate him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Because miller is a replacement for McDonald not Doolan. I doubt he will be as good as McDonald but at this stage it’s simply too early to say.

fact is in terms of signings Caldwell has done better than Archie at least albeit in only one transfer window each player he signed bar Harkins and Roy were an improvement, Archies signings for the most part last season looked like they had been picked out a lucky dip. In McDonald Caldwell brought in someone Archie could not do in 5 years an out and out goal scorer.

time will tell whether he reaches top 6 but given he has only been here 6 months it’s too early to tell, was it not 4 years or so before Archie managed it

I have always wondered how much Archie was in control of signing policy at the club (look at Coulibay situation) and poor signings mentioned may have been partly down to this.  Of course if I'm right it can be held against him.  Caldwell whatever you think of him seems to be definitely bringing in his own signings.

3 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

It is equally as likely that the decision was made on the fact that Doolan scored four goals in 23 games with Caldwell as manager - and missed a number of opportunites you'd be expecting a  striker to put away. 

The way the Club announced Doolan leaving wasn't anything to do with the manager I'd imagine - the only thing that he could, perhaps, have done differently is bring Doolan on for Shea Gordon late on against Queen of the South. He brought on Cardle, a player who he gave an extended deal to, so maybe he was trying to use it to convince Joe to sign on for another year.

Edited by G SUS

2 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I'll make my mind up ONCE the pool is finalised. I agree that miller and mansell will not be enough. I see that some cant resist the personal digs at Caldwell. Sad. 

There's a reason for that though.

For a guy that played at the top level and was presumably exposed to media training, he has proven to be remarkably media unsavvy while in post at Firhill.

And that's even before we address his personal treatment of loyal employees.............

31 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

For a guy that played at the top level and was presumably exposed to media training, he has proven to be remarkably media unsavvy while in post at Firhill.

And that's even before we address his personal treatment of loyal employees.............

Some forget how utterly ruthless lambie and auld were. It's really not a sport for nice guys. Survival of the fittest like it or lump it. If caldwell succeeds the vast majority of fans will forgive and forget. If he fails we all know what happens. Big season awaits. 

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A strike force of Doolan and anyone wouldn't see us challenging. Some people have rose tinted glasses. Doolan was done.

Got to disagree DD , a striker like Doolan will score goals for another 5 yrs , remember the same conversation about Mark Roberts, similar in the fact that both players never relied on pace to score goals . Mark Roberts wasn’t done after he left Thistle and was still scoring goals when he was 40yrs old .

28 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Some forget how utterly ruthless lambie and auld were. It's really not a sport for nice guys. Survival of the fittest like it or lump it. If caldwell succeeds the vast majority of fans will forgive and forget. If he fails we all know what happens. Big season awaits. 

Lambie always managed to pull something out of the hat with signings, not sure Caldwell is remotely in the same class .

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Loyal employees that hadn’t been doing what they were supposed to be doing - score goals

if he’s not scoring goals then right decision to move on

did you not go to the event after the season finished where Gerry Britton said that he should be blamed not Caldwell for the way the Doolan exit was handled 

would you have started going to games if we had kept Doolan another season 

Partick Thistle have been just as good to Kris Doolan as he has been for the club. He has earned the respect of the fans and is firmly in the legendary status. He is only 32 and has made a decent living for a guy who was kicking about in the Ayrshire Juniors 10 years ago.

However, his form has dipped for whatever reason over the last couple of seasons. The manager didn’t see him as part of his future plans so made the difficult decision to not renew his contract. 

The club scored an own goal with how that release was communicated but communications have been poor in a lot of ways in recent times.

I wish him well at Ayr but I hope he has a stinker when we play Ayr next season and we can at least reverse league positions with his new charges next season. 

Edited by jagfox