Miller signs

marco77

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Loyal employees that hadn’t been doing what they were supposed to be doing - score goals

if he’s not scoring goals then right decision to move on

did you not go to the event after the season finished where Gerry Britton said that he should be blamed not Caldwell for the way the Doolan exit was handled 

would you have started going to games if we had kept Doolan another season 

I'll be at games next season whateverand whoever............been there since Johnny Flanagan and Tommy Rae, so your moralising means nothing to me..

I've been around the Thistle block enough times to know when something has been handled inappropriately.

Kris Doolan's departure was handled inappropriately irrespective of whether any of us think it should have happened at all.

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

A strike force of Doolan and anyone wouldn't see us challenging. Some people have rose tinted glasses. Doolan was done.

I didn't see this at all. If you have a striker playing for a team that is struggling to score any kind of goal,  his goal scoring stats will be poor. As a football team Thistle were an awful team to watch 95% of the time before the turn of the year. Although there was improvement after Xmas, we still often played like we were rabbits caught in headlights [take for example the first half of the Hearts game at home] . A team that is as fragile as Thistle were in those months would be a bad environment for any striker to perform the way they should.

Given the right service, and if Ayr play with a bit of flair and have some momentum, KD will score goals.

My feeling is GC did not see Kris fitting into his  game plan / system, and really became surplus to his requirements. I also feel that GC will be trying hard to bring in another goalscoring forward player before the league commences on 3rd August. I don't think he will be at all comfortable starting the season with only Mansell and Millar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

I'll be at games next season whateverand whoever............been there since Johnny Flanagan and Tommy Rae, so your moralising means nothing to me..

I've been around the Thistle block enough times to know when something has been handled inappropriately.

Kris Doolan's departure was handled inappropriately irrespective of whether any of us think it should have happened at all.

I agree Doolans departure was handled inappropriately - I agree - however you blamed Caldwell for this.

caldwells decision was not to offer him a contract.  Gerry Britton stated that his departure when his wife found out etc from social media and various other things was his(Gerry Britton’s) and the boards fault not Caldwell’s. He says he(Gerry) and the board should have had proper things in place on the day such as Kris being able to tell his wife etc before it all being announced 

I reckon GC has brought in Kenny Miller because in him he sees someone who shares his philosophy and attitude, someone who has played at the top level, takes it seriously, and it's a culture that he wants to impose on the club. In this respect there may be similarities to the McDonald signing. If this is the case then his age probably isn't that much of a factor, because it's the personality that he wants.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I reckon GC has brought in Kenny Miller because in him he sees someone who shares his philosophy and attitude, 

I imagine in its truth that is also a concern to many. I'm sitting on the wait and see fence but I think it's fair to assume GC's "philosophy and attitude" could be viewed as flawed by some or as yet unconvincing in its positive nature by others. Plus there's also always the danger of "philosophy and attitude" overriding any degree of pragmatism. We'll find out at a later date.  

18 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

If they've already got your money regardless why bother complaining about anything? Your opinion means nothing to the people in charge.

Personally nothing has happened yet to convince me to spend money on one of the new shirts and if Kenny Miller is the best Caldwell can do the club isn't getting me through the turnstiles when the season starts.

But the club have already spent your cash because you'll buy whatever shite they're selling.

3 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

If they've already got your money regardless why bother complaining about anything? Your opinion means nothing to the people in charge.

Personally nothing has happened yet to convince me to spend money on one of the new shirts and if Kenny Miller is the best Caldwell can do the club isn't getting me through the turnstiles when the season starts.

But the club have already spent your cash because you'll buy whatever shite they're selling.

Ok - It is easy to criticise and say this signing is rubbish and that one is meh.,How about, you give some example of signings that will entice you through the turnstiles.

6 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Has Miller scored more goals at Firhill than any other player in the current squad ?

Banzo has more, surely?

And Cardle too, and maybe even  Fitzy.

Actually do not remember Miller scoring at Firhill, but I would not have made any great effort to remember Rangers goals, so some may have slipped in without me noticing.

Edited by partickthedog

18 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Banzo has more, surely?

And Cardle too, and maybe even  Fitzy.

Actually do not remember Miller scoring at Firhill, but I would not have made any great effort to remember Rangers goals, so some may have slipped in without me noticing.

I seem to remember an article 2 or 3 seasons ago where he said he'd either never played at Firhill or scored against us or maybe both things. I can't remember which to be honest.

I don't remember him scoring against us at Firhill either in these 2 seasons, it was mainly guys who probably  scored their only goals for them  when they played us.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:49 PM, West of Scotland said:

We’re supporters, not connoisseurs. If we need to be persuaded to give our support then Thistle is hardly where we would give it, the quality will always be poor when compared to other teams around the country and the world. Things have been a lot worse than the current team, board etc and whilst we will always bump our gums about how things could be better I personally see no reason to make demands versus turning up to support our club. Each to their own in terms of the choices they make but slagging off a fellow fan for buying a season ticket is poor form. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

We’re supporters, not connoisseurs. If we need to be persuaded to give our support then Thistle is hardly where we would give it, the quality will always be poor when compared to other teams around the country and the world. Things have been a lot worse than the current team, board etc and whilst we will always bump our gums about how things could be better I personally see no reason to make demands versus turning up to support our club. Each to their own in terms of the choices they make but slagging off a fellow fan for buying a season ticket is poor form. 

Out of likes but very well said

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

How would people compare him to Scott MacDonald as a Thistle player? According to Wiki, SM scored six goals in 12 appearances.

Both as fit as a fiddle and more than able to put in ninety minutes on any surface. Despite a fourth sub being allowed Kenny played the 120 mins v County. No doubting McDonald was the catalyst that kept us in the division but I've seen nothing from Miler to suggest he wouldn't do the same. 

Different styles of course. Kenny better equipped to play the isolated striker. McDonald better range of passing and perhaps the more effective in the games when he didn't score. Just glad we got the services of both players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

How would people compare him to Scott MacDonald as a Thistle player? According to Wiki, SM scored six goals in 12 appearances.

Scott McDonald never played for Thistle with his shirt tucked into his shorts! :blush:

I really don't think we can ever say if one will prove to be better than the other. KM will probably score more but will be with us longer. In my mind they have both been equally good for us during really difficult times on the park.

I think McDonald was transformational (oops that word) for us last season. So it's a high bar to be compared against. I personally wouldn't see Miller's impact as so significant. At least so far.

However judged against any normal standards he's been an excellent signing. If any other player without the big reputation came in and scored this many goals we'd be absolutely raving about them.