Callum Wilson (MF)

Cammy Palmer (MF)

Joe Cardle (WG)

Raffaele De Vita (WG)

Lewis Mansell (FW)

Kenny Miller (FW)

Alex Jones (FW)

Edited by Dark Passenger

Obviously a decent back up keeper and maybe for emergency's sake a young goallie who'll mainly play for reserves but can come in to 1st team squad if required.

We are actually covered OK defensively - two left back (LWBs) a RB/RWB and Saunders can play RB if needed (though probably not one to bomb forward).  Considering how many injuries we seem to get it would probably be ideal to get another defender in, one who can play more than one position.

Plenty of midfielders but I think we need one more, a playmaker maybe.  Note that both Penrice and Robson can play midfield if we're really stuck.

Above all we need at least two more forwards.  One at least has to be c. mid twenties to balance the really young and really old guys we've got.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Maybe a hard tackling defensive mid but certainly a keeper, and two forwards. If we can get one "quality" young striker then the other could be more of a wild card. Can't mind how physically developed Scullion is but perhaps he'll do as third choice keeper.

Don't mind loan deals if we've a chance of signing the loanee later on or it's a complete no brainer signing. But we need to be developing our own players, none more so than upfront. 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I actually think we are lacking a creative midfielder. An Erskine or Lawless type, someone that can play behind the striker/s. Harkins is probably the closest we've got to a number 10 but I don't think he is up to the job anymore.

Hopefully Caldwell looking to bring someone in for that role.

Just personally, I like the squad so far. Good mix. At the very least an additional keeper and a new doolan, that apart I'm very excited about the coming season but then I'm always excited every pre season.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Just personally, I like the squad so far. Good mix. At the very least an additional keeper and a new doolan, that apart I'm very excited about the coming season but then I'm always excited every pre season.

I dunno.  Take me back to the last 10 games or so of last season.  Sit me down and tell me you'll swap me Doolan, McDonald, McCarthy and Anderson for 2 young full backs and Kenny Miller.  Then ask me if that team will challenge for the title.  I don't fully share that optimism.  

I would like to see

GK (back up)  - Scott Fox

RB (who can also play DC) - Jack Mcmillan 

DM (total ball winner) - Ross Mccrorie (loan)

AM (number 10) - Scott Wright

Winger (cover for Cardle/Fitzy) -Keillor Dun

ST (must have at least 3) - Rudden/Murray/Shaw

18 minutes ago, Paukea said:

I would like to see

Don't think Fox would want to be a back up.

10 hours ago, Paulo said:

I dunno.  Take me back to the last 10 games or so of last season.  Sit me down and tell me you'll swap me Doolan, McDonald, McCarthy and Anderson for 2 young full backs and Kenny Miller.  Then ask me if that team will challenge for the title.  I don't fully share that optimism.  

Unfortunately I’ve got to agree at this moment , apart from young Aidan there is very little pace in the team at the moment , think the midfield also lacks creativity unless there is a 15/20 minutes cameo by Harkins.

Think we’re still short of 4 or 5 players to realistically make a challenge.

We will need 2 more goalkeepers. 

A center back that has a bit of pace who will most likely be a younger defender.

In midfield, we will need a strong central midfielder who can tackle. Tidser would have been a very good signing for me here. Need also somebody to replace Spittal who can create and score goals.

Think we will go for two more strikers – one more center forward and another one with pace who can also play out wide.

Not convinced the squad is appreciably superior to the guess-work shambles Caldwell inflicted upon us last season in terms of quality. Saving grace might be that the manager might actually have a plan before he picks his starting eleven. Perhaps that is being over optimistic. 

10 hours ago, Paukea said:

I would like to see

That's some list. Do you know Chien Lee? lol

23 hours ago, Paulo said:

I'm not saying we'll challenge, just that I'm excited to get the season started.

It's a good point you make, but there are 3 academy lads in, we've kept a very exciting player in Joe cardle and mansell has potential too. It's not all doom and gloom Paulo. There'll be more signings.

1 minute ago, Thistleberight said:

I'm not saying we'll challenge, just that I'm excited to get the season started.

It's a good point you make, but there are 3 academy lads in, we've kept a very exciting player in Joe cardle and mansell has potential too. It's not all doom and gloom Paulo. There'll be more signings.

More signings? Let's hope so. Under 35 would be nice.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:29 AM, Paulo said:

There are still two months left before the transfer window left. I think if you are comparing the squad to last season, it is only fair to do so at the same time as last season. We are way ahead where we were a year ago.

40 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

More signings? Let's hope so. Under 35 would be nice.

It's hard to decipher mood and tone from the written word, but I'm getting a strong aroma of unrest and distinct annoyance from your post.

Do you not think there'll be more signings, that we will start the season with only 2 recognised strikers? @Jagmakes a good point that there is still 2 months of the window to go. I'd also submit that we have made more signings this close season than we had the last few seasons where AA's and IM/GB's inability to get signings over the line were a huge factor in our p1ss poor starts to the past few seasons. That's where my positivity is coming from

Still not really sure what formation GC favours, if it is three/five at the back.

Four players for me and the standard of 3 of them is going to have a big say on our position in the league.

1. Back up goalie. 
  2. Striker better than the two we currently have (pace or height preferably both) we lacked goals last year and have lost Spittal, Mcdonald and Doolan who provided most of them.
  3. Mobile central midfielder with height we are pretty poor in the air in the middle of the pitch, don't win a high percentage of second balls.
  4. Depending on formation either a winger who goes outside and crosses the ball, Cardle, Spittal, Storey tended to go inside or not be able to cross the ball, if its 4 at the back.
  5. Five at the back another centre half, big and mobile as Morton, Dundee, Dundee United will all go direct.