Current squad

Dark Passenger

45 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

It's hard to decipher mood and tone from the written word, but I'm getting a strong aroma of unrest and distinct annoyance from your post.

Do you not think there'll be more signings, that we will start the season with only 2 recognised strikers? @Jagmakes a good point that there is still 2 months of the window to go. I'd also submit that we have made more signings this close season than we had the last few seasons where AA's and IM/GB's inability to get signings over the line were a huge factor in our p1ss poor starts to the past few seasons. That's where my positivity is coming from

I definitely think there will more signings. Wether they will be of decent enough quality to launch a promotion challenge remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, Jag said:

There are still two months left before the transfer window left. I think if you are comparing the squad to last season, it is only fair to do so at the same time as last season. We are way ahead where we were a year ago.

In terms of numbers or ability to win games ?

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

In terms of numbers or ability to win games ?

Firstly, in terms of numbers (of decent players) but also ability to win games.

Added to that - Caldwell did well in January window. I fully expect him to bring in a higher quality of player in the next two months than Archie did last year.

5 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I'm not saying we'll challenge, just that I'm excited to get the season started.

It's a good point you make, but there are 3 academy lads in, we've kept a very exciting player in Joe cardle and mansell has potential too. It's not all doom and gloom Paulo. There'll be more signings.

It'll be interesting, no doubt.  Maybe my excitement is just slow in building....!

5 hours ago, Jag said:

There are still two months left before the transfer window left. I think if you are comparing the squad to last season, it is only fair to do so at the same time as last season. We are way ahead where we were a year ago.

Only a couple of weeks until the games start though.  Hindsight is a great thing, but the talk for this season was to get things done early in order to hit the ground running.  I dunno, maybe the whole transfer business is as difficult as Archie made it look the last couple of pre-seasons :D

7 hours ago, jagfox said:

It was Traialist A and Trialist B :innocent2:

I remember when I was very young, reading a reserve match report in the programme. I asked my Dad if he knew anything about the "Newman" brothers as there were four of them playing for the team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paukea said:

Someone commented on Twitter that Islam Feruz was one..Could be nonsense though

Would make sense. 

Was probably a kid at Celtic whilst Caldwell was there.  

Phenomenal potential. But has never really delivered in his career to date.   Could be masterstroke. 

3 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

The two trialists are likely to have been Luke Wall and Sam Scrivens. I seriously doubt whether Islam Feruz was involved and, given his recent history of failing to perform at multiple clubs, thank God for that.

Correct. Those two plus a keeper, no idea who that is though.

17 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If we had a song ready, would it help him decide to come to us ? How about

"Thank Scrivens for little goals"

If he does sign I sincerely hope it doesn't finish up as "Jings, Scrivens, help ma boab!"

On 6/29/2019 at 6:49 AM, Jag said:

I remember when I was very young, reading a reserve match report in the programme. I asked my Dad if he knew anything about the "Newman" brothers as there were four of them playing for the team.

That's a brilliant memory. I was similer with my dear departed dad. Don't think it was football related, seem to remember it was letters to the editor in a newspaper and there were several A. N. Other's.......confuddled my 7 year old brain no end. 

21 hours ago, Paukea said:

Sam Scrivens is one of the Trialists and he was one of the scorers yesterday..Another English club looking to sign him also

Hopefully a freebie to La Manga will make him feel in debt to us?????

Either or both Luke Wall and Sam Scrivens could turn out to be undiscovered gems but this squad doesn’t need more shots in the dark, it needs signings like Tam O’Ware and Joe Cardle - players who have been over this course before and know what’s needed in this division. I’m sure the manager knows what he needs to do but right now this squad is light and we all know the pitfalls of not having the squad full enough to  gel in league cup games of July/early August. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

Either or both Luke Wall and Sam Scrivens could turn out to be undiscovered gems but this squad doesn’t need more shots in the dark...

Every one of our five summer signings has experience of playing in this division. Who are the "shots in the dark"?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Every one of our five summer signings has experience of playing in this division. Who are the "shots in the dark"?

I’ve obviously not been clear. Every year for far too long we’ve signed forwards with ‘potential’ and spent the following months living in hope that they’d find their way to goal. The other forwards we signed like Sammon and Storey weren’t known as prolific goal scorers either, so again we were left hoping against hope.  Gary did the same when signing Mansell and Roy, and neither proved to be a natural goalscorer. McDonald came along and showed us the difference having a real striker can bring to your team. He has signed Miller but given his age we can’t rely on him for 90mins a game for the whole season, and he deserves a strike partner that knows where the net is. To my mind Mansell is still a gamble so if we are signing a third striker I don’t personally get excited by it being someone from the English non league. If he wants to gamble with either of them then I really hope there is someone additionally coming in as second striker.