Current squad

Dark Passenger

2 minutes ago, Paukea said:

Sam Scrivens hasn’t been offered a deal even though his old club posted that he had signed for us so that’s one trialist we took abroad not signing..unsure on the other 2

To be fair, the guy is playing in what is effectively the English 10th division, that’s a hell of a step up for any player, I’m surprised we took him to Spain rather than brought him in for training this week

48 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

I’ve obviously not been clear. Every year for far too long we’ve signed forwards with ‘potential’ and spent the following months living in hope that they’d find their way to goal. The other forwards we signed like Sammon and Storey weren’t known as prolific goal scorers either, so again we were left hoping against hope.  Gary did the same when signing Mansell and Roy, and neither proved to be a natural goalscorer. McDonald came along and showed us the difference having a real striker can bring to your team. He has signed Miller but given his age we can’t rely on him for 90mins a game for the whole season, and he deserves a strike partner that knows where the net is. To my mind Mansell is still a gamble so if we are signing a third striker I don’t personally get excited by it being someone from the English non league. If he wants to gamble with either of them then I really hope there is someone additionally coming in as second striker.

I get that your reference to Miller is to do with his age - but we very seldom finish a game with the same striker we started with. 

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

I’ve obviously not been clear. Every year for far too long we’ve signed forwards with ‘potential’ and spent the following months living in hope that they’d find their way to goal. The other forwards we signed like Sammon and Storey weren’t known as prolific goal scorers either, so again we were left hoping against hope.  Gary did the same when signing Mansell and Roy, and neither proved to be a natural goalscorer. McDonald came along and showed us the difference having a real striker can bring to your team. He has signed Miller but given his age we can’t rely on him for 90mins a game for the whole season, and he deserves a strike partner that knows where the net is. To my mind Mansell is still a gamble so if we are signing a third striker I don’t personally get excited by it being someone from the English non league. If he wants to gamble with either of them then I really hope there is someone additionally coming in as second striker.

Of the 24 games which Miller started  for Dundee(I deliberately left Livi data off as he was manager so it could have been skewed) last season, he finished 13. He was sent off once and only subbed off before the 75th minute, of which there can be a number of factors aside from fitness, on six occasions. He was subbed off in the closing minutes of a game against Hamilton where he grabbed a hat-trick, presumably to gather the applause and in a couple of other games where he found the back of the net. 

You could well be right but I don't see anything on the numbers for last season which suggest he can't last 90 if required.

14 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

To be fair, the guy is playing in what is effectively the English 10th division, that’s a hell of a step up for any player, I’m surprised we took him to Spain rather than brought him in for training this week

That was my point really..if we don’t offer deals to the other 2 then it was all a waste of time and makes you wonder about his plans for the season or maybe lack of. Luke Wall has also been plucked from the Lower leagues so not holding much hope 

Seems like we wanted a look at Scrivens first before the English clubs started their pre-season. If it is the case we’ve not offered a contract he maybe didn’t impress?  

Better getting first run at a player than an other dud being signed up, imo. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, G SUS said:

Of the 24 games which Miller started  for Dundee(I deliberately left Livi data off as he was manager so it could have been skewed) last season, he finished 13. He was sent off once and only subbed off before the 75th minute, of which there can be a number of factors aside from fitness, on six occasions. He was subbed off in the closing minutes of a game against Hamilton where he grabbed a hat-trick, presumably to gather the applause and in a couple of other games where he found the back of the net. 

You could well be right but I don't see anything on the numbers for last season which suggest he can't last 90 if required.

It’s a lovely spin on his stats you’ve put there. Here’s my spin on the same stats. Post  winter break he played more than 70mins in the league just twice (full game v hearts and 71 mins v Celtic). That suggests that when his manager had a reasonable option from the bench he didn’t force KM to play 90mins week in and out, and most weeks post transfer window he used KM from the bench.  He scored just one goal in those 17 matches. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kenny-miller/leistungsdaten/spieler/4750

Irrespective of his fitness we need a credible second striker. I am sure GC knows this.

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

It’s a lovely spin on his stats you’ve put there. Here’s my spin on the same stats. Post  winter break he played more than 70mins in the league just twice (full game v hearts and 71 mins v Celtic). That suggests that when his manager had a reasonable option from the bench he didn’t force KM to play 90mins week in and out, and most weeks post transfer window he used KM from the bench.  He scored just one goal in those 17 matches. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kenny-miller/leistungsdaten/spieler/4750

Irrespective of his fitness we need a credible second striker. I am sure GC knows this.

But that was exactly your point in the original post, You said he couldn't be relied on to play 90 minutes(as below), but the evidence doesn't support that. Obviously form would be an input into whether he plays. Other attacking options would also have a factor but the evidence shows that he was capable of playing 90 minutes, at a higher level, and he frequently did. Not "being forced" to play 90 minutes is completely different from being unable to. 

"I’ve obviously not been clear. Every year for far too long we’ve signed forwards with ‘potential’ and spent the following months living in hope that they’d find their way to goal. The other forwards we signed like Sammon and Storey weren’t known as prolific goal scorers either, so again we were left hoping against hope.  Gary did the same when signing Mansell and Roy, and neither proved to be a natural goalscorer. McDonald came along and showed us the difference having a real striker can bring to your team. He has signed Miller but given his age we can’t rely on him for 90mins a game for the whole season, and he deserves a strike partner that knows where the net is. To my mind Mansell is still a gamble so if we are signing a third striker I don’t personally get excited by it being someone from the English non league. If he wants to gamble with either of them then I really hope there is someone additionally coming in as second striker."

1 hour ago, G SUS said:

He has signed Miller but given his age we can’t rely on him for 90mins a game for the whole season

Bullshit. This is what I said. His stats show that he didn’t play 90mins week in and out last season.  He only played more than 80 minutes on 13 occasions out of 35 league games (even when he was picking himself at Livi). We need a second credible striker, particularly if we’re going to be fair to KM and acknowledge his limitations. That second striker can’t be Mansell or an English non league youngster that is still developing IMO.

1 minute ago, ClydebankJag said:

Bullshit. This is what I said. His stats show that he didn’t play 90mins week in and out last season.  He only played more than 80 minutes on 13 occasions out of 35 league games (even when he was picking himself at Livi). We need a second credible striker, particularly if we’re going to be fair to KM and acknowledge his limitations. That second striker can’t be Mansell or an English non league youngster that is still developing IMO.

Trying to find a credible striker at this level is a hard task which makes Caldwell’s decision to bin Kris Doolan even more ridiculous.

The stats show in our League last year only six strikers actually scored  double figures.

Kris Doolan didn’t have a good season and latterly when the team was playing well he wasn’t anywhere near the team .

I think Caldwell may well have dug a hole for himself, letting a player go with Doolans ability with at this moment no obvious replacement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClydebankJag said:

It's clear that we need an extra couple of strikers because running with two would be foolish. I don't think we need an extra couple of strikers because "we can’t rely on him for 90mins a game for the whole season" when the evidence suggests that when he starts a match, he finishes it. I suspect that he didn't play in more, particularly after the January transfer window, was because they brought in Nelson and Wright who were doing better than him on form. I'd suspect(but don't have time to check) that Doolans playing more than 80 minute starts are probably similar so could he not be relied on for 90 minutes a game for the whole season?

Edited by G SUS

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Trying to find a credible striker at this level is a hard task which makes Caldwell’s decision to bin Kris Doolan even more ridiculous.

The stats show in our League last year only six strikers actually scored  double figures.

Kris Doolan didn’t have a good season and latterly when the team was playing well he wasn’t anywhere near the team .

I think Caldwell may well have dug a hole for himself, letting a player go with Doolans ability with at this moment no obvious replacement.

It doesn’t make his decision to bin Doolan ridiculous- he was a high earner, he had an awful season (not as you say didn’t have a good season- it was awful there’s no other way of putting it), Doolan for all he was a legend was also part of what was an appalling 2 years for the club.

i can see exactly why he was released 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It doesn’t make his decision to bin Doolan ridiculous- he was a high earner, he had an awful season (not as you say didn’t have a good season- it was awful there’s no other way of putting it), Doolan for all he was a legend was also part of what was an appalling 2 years for the club.

i can see exactly why he was released 

Seemingly we’re after Brian Graham who scored 8 goals last season , the strikers in our division didn’t for whatever reason score a lot of goals as I said only 6 strikers in the whole league got double figures, not disagreeing by Kris Doolans standards it was a bad season as was the rest of the season as a Club .

But I would be surprised if we got anyone even remotely of the ability of Kris Doolan for £600 per week .

6 hours ago, jagfox said:

Who said we’re only offering £600 a week? 

Think they were all getting paid roughly £53k a year in the SPFL which is roughly £1k per week, which is documented.

If they’re even getting £600 per week in the Championship after our turnover dropped by 2 million, they’ll be doing well .

Edited by jlsarmy

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

Just lets hope Caldwell keeps his promise that Sneddon would be first choice. 

I have no problem if this signing does happen. It means sneddon has to be at his very best to retain the shirt and if fox ends up number 1 then he has to be at his very best to be number 1 as sneddon will be breathing Down his neck.

however he hasn’t actually officially signed 

On 6/30/2019 at 1:31 PM, ClydebankJag said:

Either or both Luke Wall and Sam Scrivens could turn out to be undiscovered gems but this squad doesn’t need more shots in the dark, it needs signings like Tam O’Ware and Joe Cardle - players who have been over this course before and know what’s needed in this division. I’m sure the manager knows what he needs to do but right now this squad is light and we all know the pitfalls of not having the squad full enough to  gel in league cup games of July/early August. 

Scott Fox couldn't meet this criterion any better- current champion at this level; having won it both of the last two times he's played at this level.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Scott Fox couldn't meet this criterion any better- current champion at this level; having won it both of the last two times he's played at this level.

It does indeed. Good signing to strengthen options across the squad. Most fans would be happy with either Fox or Sneddon in goals, so you can’t ask for any more than that. Now for that striker.