Recovered 8mm Film of Jags from the Early 70s

CCjag

Some more stuff recovered and digitised from the 8 mm silent movies I took in the early 70s can be viewed here

It carries the usual caveat about quality (or lack thereof) but shows clips from:

·       A pre-season friendly @ Preston North-End (and the player I omitted  to list, coming off between Ronnie Glavin and Denis McQuade, was Bobby Gray the Younger

·       The raising of the Second Division Championship flag (and this is seriously lousy footage)

·       Matches at Rugby Park, Fir Park, Somerset Park, Tynecastle & Muirton Park.

Anyone interested enough to share, please go ahead and do so, and if anyone has an update/correction of any info I’ve included, please get in touch and I’ll re-edit.

CCJag

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

These clips brought back a lot of memories, thanks for showing them. One piece of trivia has been answered for me. I was always 100% certain that the numbers on the yellow shirt were always  black, as worn in the League cup final, but they had red numbers as well in some of the games. Thank goodness for colour film!

6 hours ago, Exiled AusJag said:

These clips brought back a lot of memories, thanks for showing them. One piece of trivia has been answered for me. I was always 100% certain that the numbers on the yellow shirt were always  black, as worn in the League cup final, but they had red numbers as well in some of the games. Thank goodness for colour film!

One of the first snooker programmes on tv, pot black. Was shown in black and white when it first started.:thinking:

1 hour ago, DenisOhDenis said:

Excellent stuff CCJag.  I'm one of the blobs on the terracing behind the goal in the clips from the East Fife game.  Must have watched it a dozen times now but I'm still not quite sure which one.

A Thistle version of 'where's Wally'.:happy2:

• Like 1

Absolutely loved every second of that..... how great to see those legendary players when they were at their peak.

I'd totally forgotten about that entirely yellow away outfit that we wore at Killie.

Re the list of players getting off the coach: the third player, after Strachan and Coulston, is Charlie Smith.

On a darker note: I remember a young Thistle supporter who got murdered by a gang in the early 70s.... one of the supporters early on  in the video reminded me of him. 

"On a darker note: I remember a young Thistle supporter who got murdered by a gang in the early 70s.... one of the supporters early on  in the video reminded me of him. "

The supporter to whom you referred was Chris Eaglesham.

He and I travelled to Preston together and Chris appears wearing the black donkey jacket and with long hair.

On 03 September 1971, the  night before we beat Rangers in the opening League match of the season at Firhill,  he and I  took the eighteen bus from the meeting of the North-West Branch which we'd been attending in the flat we (the Branch) rented in the close beside Munn's.

We both got off at the Boundary Bar in Springburn.

Agreeing to meet in the Firhill Club for a pre-match pint the next day, he headed for his home in Barmulloch and I to mine in Bishopbriggs, 

Chris, an easy going and gregarious guy struck up a conversation with a man on the bus and they continued to talk at the bus stop until they encountered a group  of youths who had been thwarted in their search for a rival gang. In an entirely unprovoked attack, they set upon the two men, killing Chris and severely injuring his companion.

The next day, instead of savouring our win, I sat in his house as his devastated family tried to come to terms with what had happened.

That night ended Chris’ life,  destroyed the youth and early adulthood of the six who were convicted of the senseless crime and radically redirected my future attitudes and career.

Seven weeks later, we stood at Hampden with the only blight on an otherwise perfect day being the fact that someone who should have been there, wasn’t!

In truly bizarre circumstances, almost a quarter of a century later, I found myself in a room with one of those convicted in connection with Chris’ murder.

In what was undoubtedly the most difficult experience of my professional life, I could neither do nor say anything,  but the gin bottle took one hell of a battering that night!

Sorry, that’s more information than you needed or were looking for, but – even after all these years - it was something of a catharsis for me!

Edited by CCjag

Great footage, but one question about the Motherwell game, is the date correct?  I thought for all of the 71/72 season the top had the round neck, but v. Motherwell it looks like the collar we wore for the next few seasons. Kilmarnock game may have the same top, but difficult to tell.

1 hour ago, CCjag said:

"On a darker note: I remember a young Thistle supporter who got murdered by a gang in the early 70s.... one of the supporters early on  in the video reminded me of him. "

He and I travelled to Preston together and Chris appears wearing the black donkey jacket and with long hair.

On 03 September 1971, the  night before we beat Rangers in the opening League match of the season at Firhill,  he and I  took the eighteen bus from the meeting of the North-West Branch which we'd been attending in the flat we (the Branch) rented in the close beside Munn's.

Agreeing to meet in the Firhill Club for a pre-match pint the next day, he headed for his home in Barmulloch and I to mine in Bishopbriggs, 

Chris, an easy going and gregarious guy struck up a conversation with a man on the bus and they continued to talk at the bus stop until they encountered a group  of youths who had been thwarted in their search for a rival gang. In an entirely unprovoked attack, they set upon the two men, killing Chris and severely injuring his companion.

The next day, instead of savouring our win, I sat in his house as his devastated family tried to come to terms with what had happened.

That night ended Chris’ life,  destroyed the youth and early adulthood of the six who were convicted of the senseless crime and radically redirected my future attitudes and career.

Seven weeks later, we stood at Hampden with the only blight on an otherwise perfect day being the fact that someone who should have been there, wasn’t!

In truly bizarre circumstances, almost a quarter of a century later, I found myself in a room with one of those convicted in connection with Chris’ murder.

In what was undoubtedly the most difficult experience of my professional life, I could neither do nor say anything,  but the gin bottle took one hell of a battering that night!

Sorry, that’s more information that you needed or were looking for, but – even after all these years - it was something of a catharsis for me!

Many thanks, CCjag; I was pretty sure it was Chris as soon as I saw the footage; I sometimes travelled on the NW bus as that time, and remember him as a regular at matches, singing and generally enjoying the matches. Still terribly sad after all these years, but good to see these images of him in his beloved team's colours.

5 hours ago, CCjag said:

Sorry, that’s more information that you needed or were looking for, but – even after all these years - it was something of a catharsis for me!

Thanks for a moving and touching post ccjag. Life can give us experiences like this that puts football in perspective.

22 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

One of the first snooker programmes on tv, pot black. Was shown in black and white when it first started.:thinking:

There's a famous commentator quote which I think came from Pot Black. It's along the lines of 'for those watching in black & white, the blue ball is beside the pink ball' :D