Scott Fox Signs

1 hour ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Would prefer to sign Fox, who is a good goalkeeper, than sign a lesser goalkeeper just to keep Sneddon happy as the undisputed number one. Now we’ve got two goalkeepers who are good enough to start - let’s see who earns the gloves.

There is a difference between trying to keep someone happy and demotivating someone.

Sneddon was unhappy that Hazard came in just as he was beginning to establish himself at the end of 2018. 

He was displaced and then won his place back.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Solid signing. Great experience at this level. Only the uber petty would suggest it's a negative. 

A positive for me. If one keeper is out for a spell injured we shouldn't be too concerned with his absence.

What we don't know (and have no right to know) is how much of the manager's budget has been used up with this signing. If it's ridiculously high (sacrificing say two or three potential signings) then only the uber magnanimous would suggest it's a positive. :)

2 hours ago, jaggot said:

Excellent signing. No point in grudges....only our performances matter

There are  a lot of really negative people here who I am guessing lead pretty negative life's - it's always the way.

You studying social psychology now? 

While I am trying to think up some psychobabble to explain the social phenomena of misspelling and phantom apostrophes,  the plural of 'life' is 'lives'. And throw away the apostrophe gun .

Sorry don't rate Scott Fox at all.

Very slow to get down for low shots, not good with catching the ball at crosses and generally flounces about a lot.  Never mind he's a Thistle "legend" and will get by as a he was part of the championship team that's so fondly remembered.

The first season up, much is correctly made of the contribution, in the seasons second half by Higgy and Lyle Taylor. However, of as much importance was Scott Fox getting injured and Paul Gallagher getting put between the sticks, all the big mans saves, bravery and organisational skills helped keep us up that year. If Fox hadn't been injured I think we would have gone down.

Hope to be proved wrong. He reminds me of Cammy Bell.

8 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

This is a huge kick in the nuts for Snedden who was excellent once he secured his place.

I assume Fox has improved since he left because we conceded barrowloads from simple cross balls and I was delighted when he left to further his international prospects.

Perhaps he’s ironed out these problems and will win some caps now.

As for Snedden, I hope he sticks around but he ain’t much use to us warming the bench.

Wouldn’t have give Scott Fox a chance to come back after the way he left , poor attitude after Archie dropped him as well . he’s not coming back to be back up keeper , would rather Jamie Sneddon had been given the chance to establish himself.

4 hours ago, allyo said:

I struggle with the logic that we shoudn't sign a goalkeeper because he might be first choice.

We have two good goalkeepers now, and surely the first choice will be the one who is most worthy

Apply that logic to any other job. You have worked hard to achieve a promotion and have done a good job, not just once but twice. And again your employer brings someone else in who is likely to be the go to person. You wouldn’t feel like giving your all for that employer. 

Haha, I wonder how many near-post goals we'll lose in the months ahead.....

And forget any fast throw-outs or kick-outs to launch a fast counter-attack. Fox is the slowest goalkeeper that I can ever remember when it comes to releasing the ball.

Other than those points, a decent enough signing.

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Fox is the slowest goalkeeper that I can ever remember when it comes to releasing the ball.

Totally disagree. Only Sneddon and possibly Tuffey come close to Fox re speed of distribution. You surely must be mixing him up with Cerny who is about the slowest I've ever seen.

I am of course not talking about time wasting but in games when we're not winning.

• Like 1

I think I'm right in saying that Ross County conceded very few goals last season.....presumably he must have been doing something right? No doubt the whatabouterry faction will suggest that was all down to the defence....or the other teams were crap.....or he was lucky. 

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Wouldn’t have give Scott Fox a chance to come back after the way he left , poor attitude after Archie dropped him as well . he’s not coming back to be back up keeper , would rather Jamie Sneddon had been given the chance to establish himself.

You can see into the future? Going to give us all Wednesdays lottery results and then we can all invest in the club without the need for this consortium 

Was never a big fan of Fox, regardless of the way he left.

Decent shot stopper but never did well with one on one situations, I always felt he let too many goals in under his body. Added to that he is vulnerable at his near post.

As others have said though, he has been playing reasonably well for Ross County so must be doing something right. 

Interesting situation as there is no way Fox has been brought in to be number two but I'd like to see Sneddon give a him a run for his money.

11 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Apply that logic to any other job. You have worked hard to achieve a promotion and have done a good job, not just once but twice. And again your employer brings someone else in who is likely to be the go to person. You wouldn’t feel like giving your all for that employer. 

This thread highlights the schizophrenic nature of this forum. People were calling for quality players to be signed just the other day and yet when we sign a league-winning 'keeper there's a collective heads gone moment...

You ideally want two quality players in each position when you're chasing a title - cast your mind back to 2012/13 when Fox was injured and we were having to rely on Ryan Scully and Graeme Smith - we now have that in the goalkeeping department.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Football is not like any typical job. It's way crueller. If Jamie Sneddon is good enough he'll keep his place and if he's not then he won't. And I would hope (and expect) he understands that that is the life of a footballer, especially a goalkeeper. If he doesn't then he's in for a nasty shock.

And honestly, people who wouldn't have Fox back because of the "way he left" (I'm not responding directly to you here) also have to get a grip. Players have to look after themselves. They are not media trained and are obliged to say something nice about their new club. And if they happen to say something that jars with their previous club's supporters then tough. They need to get over it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

You can see into the future? Going to give us all Wednesdays lottery results and then we can all invest in the club without the need for this consortium 

Obviously GC is doing the same 32 yr old Joe Cardle , 32 yr old Scott Fox , 34 yr Gary Harkins and a 39 yr old Kenny Miller 

GC investing in our future 

IMO this is a quality signing. There was some discussion when he chose to leave county that he was of sufficient quality to play in the premier and there was no counter to that, that I can remember. I don't believe we have replaced his quality since he left. As LIB said, cearny was very slow in releasing the ball for counter attacks. What I want in my keeper is a shot stopper and a general at the back. Constantly communicating with the back line. That's what we get with Fox. Remember when he was out injured? we were a little lost with him out. Yes he had weaknesses but is still a signing of some intent and great quality. Just can't see how this can be viewed as a negative