Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
redandyellowallover

Scott Fox Signs

Recommended Posts

Guest
8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Obviously GC is doing the same 32 yr old Joe Cardle , 32 yr old Scott Fox , 34 yr Gary Harkins and a 39 yr old Kenny Miller 

GC investing in our future 

A little ageist? We need a good mix of youth and older more experienced player and I think so far the balance is right. We'll see soon enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 isn't that old for a keeper.  Also, he's signed Robson (23), Williamson (23), Gordon (21) and Mansell (21).  Saunders is 28, not a youngster but still in 20s. 

Besides that, the squad he inherited is pretty well all in its twenties and he has shown himself willing to give the likes of Bannigan, Slater, Fitzpatrick, etc. game time.  If he was looking for an old team he wouldn't have been signing the 4 players I first mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Obviously GC is doing the same 32 yr old Joe Cardle , 32 yr old Scott Fox , 34 yr Gary Harkins and a 39 yr old Kenny Miller 

GC investing in our future 

Lewis Mansell 21, Shea Gordon 20, Ryan Williamson, Tommy Robson 23

Pretty mixed bag from Caldwell I’d say.

Edit: Didn’t see Mr bunny’s post before I posted this

Edited by That 1 jags fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No probs, That 1, I don't mind support.  I have to say i'm not fully convinced about Caldwell but he's the manager now and I don't see any reason not to get behind him until results in the park justify otherwise.  I also don't see any reason for pointless posts complaining about an aged team when a quick look at the whole squad shows that's not true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Lewis Mansell 21, Shea Gordon 20, Ryan Williamson, Tommy Robson 23

Pretty mixed bag from Caldwell I’d say.

Edit: Didn’t see Mr bunny’s post before I posted this

Exactly. A squad has to be balanced age wise for obvious reasons. Easy to be negatively selective but let's see how we perform on the park before minds are made up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

A little ageist? We need a good mix of youth and older more experienced player and I think so far the balance is right. We'll see soon enough

Bringing in experience in January was crucial to our survival. We desperately needed a quick fix.

This season coming shouldn't be about just finishing in the promotion playoffs. Shouldn't be a case of crossing bridges when we get there. Shouldn't be about making the manager look good.

To balance the equation further signings will have to be young with potential, have pace and/or stamina. That of course cannot include loanees unless we have an option to sign them later. 

I hope there's checks and balances on Caldwell as I'm far from convinced he's here for a lengthy spell regardless of how successful he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

Exactly. A squad has to be balanced age wise for obvious reasons. Easy to be negatively selective but let's see how we perform on the park before minds are made up. 

It seems some minds have been made with Caldwell in that they are not prepared to give the guy a chance no matter what he does and will constantly use any issue to try and turn it to a negative and hit him with a stick with 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stillresigned said:

Some people seem to glory in negativity before the season has even begun.

Exactly. Plenty of time for negativity once the season starts.:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I'm far from convinced he's here for a lengthy spell regardless of how successful he is.

On that we can agree. If he's a success, he will be back down to England at the first decent opportunity. If he's a failure, he'll be back down the job centre.

I hope it is the former.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bringing in experience in January was crucial to our survival. We desperately needed a quick fix.

This season coming shouldn't be about just finishing in the promotion playoffs. Shouldn't be a case of crossing bridges when we get there. Shouldn't be about making the manager look good.

To balance the equation further signings will have to be young with potential, have pace and/or stamina. That of course cannot include loanees unless we have an option to sign them later. 

I hope there's checks and balances on Caldwell as I'm far from convinced he's here for a lengthy spell regardless of how successful he is.

Still to see some important signings (forward or 2 and a midfield player) but we already have Gordon, Mansell and Williamson who i think fill that requirement.  Need a couple more like that as you suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

What I want in my keeper is a shot stopper and a general at the back. Constantly communicating with the back line. That's what we get with Fox. Remember when he was out injured? we were a little lost with him out.

Funny, how. people see things differently. I thought he was pretty poor at organising the back line. When he got injured, I believed it was a blessing in disguise, as Paul Gallagher was a much better keeper in every respect and pretty much saved our season.

Hope you're proved to be right Thistleberight, I really do :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox got us promoted and was part of my fave ever Thistle team so he will always have my respect.  Was also at Dools race night so a good guy.  Never understood why he got stick for moving on.  As a keeper he's alright. I preferred Gallacher at the time who seemed more solid and was good at stopping penalty kicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fox on STV news saying he will win over the doubters.STV news reporter called us gers  fans :red_card:.  But then corrected himself after the interview. 'Should have said Jags fans' he said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bringing in experience in January was crucial to our survival. We desperately needed a quick fix.

This season coming shouldn't be about just finishing in the promotion playoffs. Shouldn't be a case of crossing bridges when we get there. Shouldn't be about making the manager look good.

To balance the equation further signings will have to be young with potential, have pace and/or stamina. That of course cannot include loanees unless we have an option to sign them later. 

I hope there's checks and balances on Caldwell as I'm far from convinced he's here for a lengthy spell regardless of how successful he is.

The article about the takeover seems to suggest that some of his targets have come to fruition 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

On that we can agree. If he's a success, he will be back down to England at the first decent opportunity. If he's a failure, he'll be back down the job centre.

I hope it is the former.

I think this is the case for any manager at our level. Just ask Alloa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

Still to see some important signings (forward or 2 and a midfield player) but we already have Gordon, Mansell and Williamson who i think fill that requirement.  Need a couple more like that as you suggest.

Agree, that's why I'm not being over critical of Caldwell till we see the bigger picture.

Over the last five or six years we've been at our best when the squad was developing but still keeping a lowish average age with a decent standard of pace and overall fitness . At our worst when the average age crept up while fitness and pace dropped. Admittedly increasing age isn't always resultant in decreasing fitness and pace but at the moment I believe we're top heavy in the auld heid department with not enough younger players to learn from them. 

We clearly will require players to take over the reins from the likes of Cardle, Miller & Harkins by the season's end at the latest. Otherwise any good finish this season coming will be negated by lack of forward planning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree, that's why I'm not being over critical of Caldwell till we see the bigger picture.

Over the last five or six years we've been at our best when the squad was developing but still keeping a lowish average age with a decent standard of pace and overall fitness . At our worst when the average age crept up while fitness and pace dropped. Admittedly increasing age isn't always resultant in decreasing fitness and pace but at the moment I believe we're top heavy in the auld heid department with not enough younger players to learn from them. 

We clearly will require players to take over the reins from the likes of Cardle, Miller & Harkins by the season's end at the latest. Otherwise any good finish this season coming will be negated by lack of forward planning.

3 older players seems reasonable to me. I'd like to think that the manager and his backroom staff know  more than us mere fans in terms of stamina, fitness and longevity. Nb does anyone know if Anderson is likely to be back #caldwells dads army lol? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dl1971 said:

3 older players seems reasonable to me. I'd like to think that the manager and his backroom staff know  more than us mere fans in terms of stamina, fitness and longevity. Nb does anyone know if Anderson is likely to be back #caldwells dads army lol? 

Tommy Wright wants Anderson to mentor the young defenders , so I’m not sure he’s coming back anytime soon .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Tommy Wright wants Anderson to mentor the young defenders , so I’m not sure he’s coming back anytime soon .

Cheers jls. Appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there was a running joke amongst the players last time that Fox was so quiet he didn't even shout when he was coming off his line.

However, he was 23 the first time he signed for us and he's 32 now with 2 x 2nd tier league winners medals, a League Cup winners medal- didn't play in the final due to injury but saved a penalty(!) from Griffiths in the semi- and also a can of Irn Bru medal earned in that timeframe as well as experience of a couple of Scotland squads (but no caps).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 2:46 PM, Pinhead said:

Cannie forget the way he left us but thought i would give his Jagzone interview and see if i can forgive...pretty much first sentence out his mouth "well last time i was here i won the title with yez" ---- yez????

I met Martin Hardie outside Firhill a few hours before the semi final with the then Rangers and similarly he said to me,

” ah hope yez dae well”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
20 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bringing in experience in January was crucial to our survival. We desperately needed a quick fix.

This season coming shouldn't be about just finishing in the promotion playoffs. Shouldn't be a case of crossing bridges when we get there. Shouldn't be about making the manager look good.

To balance the equation further signings will have to be young with potential, have pace and/or stamina. That of course cannot include loanees unless we have an option to sign them later. 

I hope there's checks and balances on Caldwell as I'm far from convinced he's here for a lengthy spell regardless of how successful he is.

Can't disagree with you on the right mix aspect. The next few signings need to be, as you say, youthful with the usual pace, fitness and potential to improve.

I also agree and I too suspect we are a stepping stone for GC but surely, AA apart who is a jaggy, all of our recent managers were using us in the same way. Even Ian McCall would have been off on his toes had a say, Aberdeen type club, come for him.

Most, if not all clubs our size would be and are, used by managers in the same way. I'm trying not to use this as a negative. If GC gets us playing good entertaining football and we win the league and he moves on to a bigger club as a result it's a win win?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
15 hours ago, AndyMac said:

Funny, how. people see things differently. I thought he was pretty poor at organising the back line. When he got injured, I believed it was a blessing in disguise, as Paul Gallagher was a much better keeper in every respect and pretty much saved our season.

Hope you're proved to be right Thistleberight, I really do :)

Yeah, me too AndyMac. Then again from what I saw of fox last season, he was much improved. Time will tell, but young sneddon will get the competition for number 1 spot he didn't have last season and this will make him an even better player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

I met Martin Hardie outside Firhill a few hours before the semi final with the then Rangers and similarly he said to me,

” ah hope yez dae well”

Ah, BMMMH... is my memory failing or did he enjoy climbing drainpipes? Anybody know what he's doing these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Ah, BMMMH... is my memory failing or did he enjoy climbing drainpipes? Anybody know what he's doing these days?

He is the assistant manager at Stirling Albion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×