Role of Supporters Trust in any Takeover

Jordanhill Jag

6 minutes ago, scotty said:

Sorry, my previous post was before I saw this.

Asked who for a meeting?

They will know that there are rumours of discussions but as they are not part of any meetings how can they KNOW?

The chair and CEO are part of the trust, Do you want them to call themselves?

As three of the Trust are board members, then my guess would be that they have.

I fully agree with the final part of your post but until more fans are willing to get involved with both trusts, then this well may continue.

Meeting :The club and potential new shareholders... think of the role of a trade union when rumours of companies start .. it’s just basic 

Discussions: have they asked ? And if not why not ? Isn’t that their role

call: the club is part of the trust but won’t talk to  the other half of the trust (the fans apparently ) 

its a joke 

13 minutes ago, scotty said:

Sorry, my previous post was before I saw this.

Asked who for a meeting?

They will know that there are rumours of discussions but as they are not part of any meetings how can they KNOW?

The chair and CEO are part of the trust, Do you want them to call themselves?

As three of the Trust are board members, then my guess would be that they have.

I fully agree with the final part of your post but until more fans are willing to get involved with both trusts, then this well may continue.

The fact that three of the Trust are board members is one of the fundamental problems. The Trust is meant to represent fans and to engage with the club on that basis; difficult to do when the Trust is comprised significantly of board members! 

As already stated, a well-run and properly representative Trust would be all over this issue and would be ensuring the supporters’ voice was part of these discussions. I’m sorry but it isn’t enough to simply put out a statement saying “we haven’t heard anything.” 

I’m sure there are folk who would like to get involved, but if it’s set up in such a way as to prevent any meaningful action / representation then why would people waste their time? And if there is an existing culture of cosyness with the club (which I suspect there is) then again, why would people waste their time?

3 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Who here with a ST for over 2 years and over 18 at end of 2018 was given a ballot paper?

I know for a fact my Dad (ST holder continuelsy  for 30+ years) well over 18 never. 

Me either. Maybe we should get proactive and apply for membership?

21 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Who here with a ST for over 2 years and over 18 at end of 2018 was given a ballot paper?

I know for a fact my Dad (ST holder continuelsy  for 30+ years) well over 18 never. 

This is surprizing and  bizarre, almost as if the PTFC TRUST seem to be working in some parallel universe!! … Surely the main points of the PTFCT  is:- 1) Look after the shares gifted to the Trust by others  2) Maintain a high level of  contact with the mainstream support, particularly the long term ST holders. (voting / newsletters / emailed news  etc)

They seem state this is their intention in their 'articles of association', but don't appear to follow their own rules particularly with regards voting.

Is this just apathy or a misunderstanding? All seems pretty strange to me, and I would think the PTFC TRUST needs to 'evolve in favour of supporters trustees' sooner rather than later

20 hours ago, jaf said:

As both eljaggo and I have said in the other thread, this is key, and I think he was writing to club, and I have too.

The thing is, we only know of the details of the Trust in the past 72 hours, and this housekeeping would be good to be done whether or not we were in midst of takeover. It is also aligning the trust to where we all expected it to be.

Just to clarify.  I have emailed the Jags Trust not the Club.  I have asked them whether they have discussed the rumoured takeover, whether they have considered a joint position (or even amalgamation) with the other trust , and whether they plan to hold a members' meeting to discuss the issue.  I emailed them this morning and will post here the response I get.

2 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

My wife, daughter and I all got ballot papers by mail. I remember them coming in.

My daughter is under 18.

Edited by jaf

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Right, got it!.

For the benefit of others not au fait with all this, the PTFC Trust is a lame duck and shouldn't get confused with the Jags Trust, which is a deid duck. 

Seems the resurection has just happened. Maybe it's not the messiah and just a naughty boy! :whistling:

3 minutes ago, jaf said:

My wife, daughter and I all got ballot papers by mail. I remember them coming in.

My daughter is under 18.

I have never received anything from the new supporters trust, i also tried to join the Jags trust a few years back and could not get any replies from them, even sent a joining fee via paypal and received nothing.

Seems like these trusts are run for the few.

11 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

Just as an aside (and since I've never received any correspondence from them)...what were the mechanics of making every ST holder (2+ years) over 18 a member?  What data base have they used?  Where did it come from?  

And can they still use it after GDPR was introduced?

Its interesting that we suddenly have lots of Activity from the Trust - wonder why - in essence statement doesn't say much 

So Why all the Activity ?

Assuming there is an attempted purchase of 55% of the shares- the positions of the various parties are complicated 

The Board have to act in the interests of the Shareholders - and 55% want to sell 

The Trust having Two Club Directors  - the Club CEO - an appointed Trustee - Three Co Opted Trustees ( who go through vetting    ) and only Two Elected Trustees is hardly an organisation that can claim it speaks for the Fans - in addition it has made no attempt to reach out  ref the potential takeover - and gauge opinion  

Therefore the ultimate decision of any takeover is via the SFA as they give permission - they take into consideration various things including Supporters 

Now in a normal Trust Set Up - assuming there is Fan Engagement - the Trust would be able to put forward views to the SFA 

But given our current position thats pretty difficult - whatismore there is a clear duty of care to the Shareholders from Directors - what we should remember this a a Business Transaction and the Rules of Business will apply - significant sums for some Shareholders are at stake - they are unlikely to play nice ...........   

The Trust has to become an organisation that represents the Fans via a democratic Mandate - simple and straightforward - otherwise it cant speak for them ... 

10 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

significant sums for some Shareholders are at stake - they are unlikely to play nice ...........

How much do "some" of the shareholders stand to make and who are they?

And is that a warning, or a threat?

This post is a little odd. Up until now you've given the impression that these shareholders are willing to sell due to concerns over the way club is being run.

Now, the suggestion is that they're doing it purely to enrich themselves and are prepared to get nasty if anything comes between themselves and the cash. 

It doesn't sound like they're prepared to sell with the best interests of Partick Thistle in mind.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

How much do "some" of the shareholders stand to make and who are they?

And is that a warning, or a threat?

This post is a little odd. Up until now you've given the impression that these shareholders are willing to sell due to concerns over the way club is being run.

Now, the suggestion is that they're doing it purely to enrich themselves and are prepared to get nasty if anything comes between themselves and the cash. 

It doesn't sound like they're prepared to sell with the best interests of Partick Thistle in mind.

I have no Idea how much they will make-  but Im guessing for some it will be a decent sum and to an extent a bit of a windfall 

I clearly stated in previous posts that I though it split into three Groups ( and it was simply Opinion) 

Those with no real connection to the Club and happy to get a return - Those with a connection-  but will only do it if they think it will benefit the Club - but Yes they are happy to get a Return - Those who think its the best thing for the Club and the return whilst welcome is not the main driver  - now I have no idea of the Mix  or if thats accurate or not - its an opinion  

But at the core of this - its a share transaction   - there are significant sums of Money involved - where that happens then the finances cant be ignored - its not a threat or a warning -  as Im not involved in selling shares or any takeover - but its a reality of any business transaction 

38 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Its interesting that we suddenly have lots of Activity from the Trust - wonder why - in essence statement doesn't say much 

So Why all the Activity ?

Lots of activity? Must have missed most of it. What has there been apart from the statement on the club website?

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I have no Idea how much they will make-  but Im guessing for some it will be a decent sum and to an extent a bit of a windfall 

I clearly stated in previous posts that I though it split into three Groups ( and it was simply Opinion) 

Those with no real connection to the Club and happy to get a return - Those with a connection-  but will only do it if they think it will benefit the Club - but Yes they are happy to get a Return - Those who think its the best thing for the Club and the return whilst welcome is not the main driver  - now I have no idea of the Mix  or if thats accurate or not - its an opinion  

But at the core of this - its a share transaction   - there are significant sums of Money involved - where that happens then the finances cant be ignored - its not a threat or a warning -  as Im not involved in selling shares or any takeover - but its a reality of any business transaction 

Wouldn’t surprise me if a certain mr Prentice was hoping to get a maximum return