Evening with Gary Caldwell

east end jag

3 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Please let us get this right. Rangers were liquidated. Doncaster presided over the farce of trying to get Newco Rangers elected into the system in the highest possible league. The clubs rejected this and Newco were elected into the bottom league at the expense of more qualified and deserving applicants.

Thanks for the correction bowdenboys. As you'll see from the first part of the post imo he's a diddy, now you have corrected me he's more of a diddy.

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I hope the club do the same as they did with the last one and record it and put it online for everybody to see.

I'm on hols AJ and am hot and bored, not sure I'm that bored though:shok:

Compared to last summer's fairly funereal level of activity on the board, this year has been a storm of opinion on several subjects. 

And the board has been all the better for it, apart from some needless personal stuff.

Only seven more days until the real fun starts again though........................

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

I'm on hols AJ and am hot and bored, not sure I'm that bored though:shok:

I thought the first box set of a night with Caldwell was quite interesting. An insight into how modern managers work. Where are you on holiday ?

Edited by Auld Jag

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

I thought the first box set of a night with Caldwell was quite interesting. An insight into how modern managers work. Where are you on holiday ?

It was but as insightful as it was and I'm not tarnishing all managers of all workplaces but, they can be a right boring bunch!! Now Lambie on the other hand.............I'd have paid a small randsom for a place in that dressing room 

We're in south brittany. Blinking heatwave, seemed like a great idea a few weeks ago, a wee last minute break? Prepare for the coming Scottish footbal winter.

25 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

It was but as insightful as it was and I'm not tarnishing all managers of all workplaces but, they can be a right boring bunch!! Now Lambie on the other hand.............I'd have paid a small randsom for a place in that dressing room 

We're in south brittany. Blinking heatwave, seemed like a great idea a few weeks ago, a wee last minute break? Prepare for the coming Scottish footbal winter.

Hope you didn't get outside help to pay for the break. some on this forum might query where the money came from.:D Hope you enjoy the rest of your break and I hope to see you again during the coming season.

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Hope you didn't get outside help to pay for the break. some on this forum might query where the money came from.:D Hope you enjoy the rest of your break and I hope to see you again during the coming season.

Haha, thanks AJ, see you in a few weeks. Where does the close season go

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, Auld Jag said:

I hope the club do the same as they did with the last one and record it and put it online for everybody to see.

They will be doing that this time as well which is good for me as no space for me which is fine as I was at the first one so only right that those who did not get a space then get a turn.

Will be interesting though to see who, if anyone, from the new board is in attendance and if they take the opportunity to say anything.

13 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

They will be doing that this time as well which is good for me as no space for me which is fine as I was at the first one so only right that those who did not get a space then get a turn.

Will be interesting though to see who, if anyone, from the new board is in attendance and if they take the opportunity to say anything.

I would hope under the circumstances of recent days events someone like DB will make some sort of statement to those lucky enough to attend. I know it's a night with GC but it would be great if a short input could cover the proposed takeover and the position of posts like GB and the academy. Just clarification of the new boards intent.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with Thistlebright. I realise tho' confidentiality comes into play. But even if DB just confirmed there's nothing much he can say and qualified last week's 2nd statement it's better than not saying anything at all.

Definitely.

In my view the last MTM session which included GB went a long way to explain (and almost apologise for) some of the things that were perceived to have been wrong on and off the park last season. I hope we keep this communication up, I would certainly go along to one of these - I missed the boat this time because of holidays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I would hope under the circumstances of recent days events someone like DB will make some sort of statement to those lucky enough to attend. I know it's a night with GC but it would be great if a short input could cover the proposed takeover and the position of posts like GB and the academy. Just clarification of the new boards intent.

Pretty sure Gerry will be in attendance he was the last time

5 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Pretty sure Gerry will be in attendance he was the last time

I know some have been negative re his input from when jlow came in , including myself but I hope his post is secure because Thistle is in his heart.

I really enjoyed tonight's session. Was set-up differently from the last time with, l think, slightly less people there. Only Gerry and Gary there from the club but they were both very engaging and it all felt a bit more relaxed than last time.

I'll try and give a very broad summary of how l think it went and the content of the evening. Others can chip in and correct where l have picked things up wrong. 

Started with Gerry saying, with tongue in cheek, that it had been a quiet summer (getting a laugh from quite a bit of the audience) then telling us that hopefully things will start to move and become clearer in the next few weeks. He then handed over to Gary.

Gary was very relaxed and spoke, l thought, really well. Went through the pre season training routines and gave an overview of what he was trying to do - Gary spoke about the lack of strikers making that area difficult to practice. His opinion is it had gone well to date and he was happy with things so far. Players had worked hard. He then went on to discuss how he has worked on an idea of what the players identify the club with/as and what they would want it to be identified as. This was agreed by the players and it will be the mantra they adopt in terms of looking to achieve and bond over the season.  Intention of this is to create a common purpose which will be the motivation for working as a team and building a spirit and unity.

After this he spoke about how we got ready for the two Hearts games - this was pretty in-depth as we looked at preparation techniques like video's, drills, intended positioning, targeting pitch areas/opposition players. This might sound boring but it was actually very interesting and peppered with people asking questions and making observations which Gary answered and gave his perspective on.

It then developed into a very random question and answer session with player strengths, our defending corners, the new rule on bye-kicks and how the team position to maximise the change, possible signings, view on who we have signed, budget still available, the merits of the academy and how players transition from one to the other (and what they need to learn in order to move on), views on artificial pitches, not having a dedicated training ground, arrangements for loan players, thoughts on division opponents and our games to date were some of the questions l remember. But there were stacks of questions which Gary took and answered as well as he could.

It then finished with Gerry thanking everyone for coming along and asking that we give Gary a round of applause. In all, about an hour and a half long with a positive vibe generally being the mood.

Hope this is useful and, as l say, happy to have others disagree with my take or how l caught some aspects of the evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really enjoyed tonight so big thank you to Gary Caldwell for taking the time and having the patience to answer all the questions and for Gerry for answering the bits directed at him

Gerry started by making a couple of jokes that basically implied he couldn't say to much about the boardroom changes but that it would hopefully be clearer in a few weeks time/

In terms of the content it started with Gary showing in some detail the pre-season training fitness regimes and anonymised player fitness assessments. He then showed in some detail the structure of how he wanted the team to attack and defend.

From there he moved on to show how they prepared for the Hearts game last year by explaining how the chose to deal with Ikpeazu, how they wanted to defend Hearts corner routines, how they wanted to attack Hearts and how they changed that for the second game.

He spoke a bit about developing a team identity and how he wanted the players to change how people percieve the Thistle badge

The questions and answers were possibly the most enjoyable bit with. There were a lot of questions on tactics, formations with reference to how we setup against Airdrie and Queens Park. He stated he wasn't happy with the performances but was happy to be churning out wins whilst not playing well something in his view we couldn't do last year.

General theme is he wants to see us pass out from the back, having the defenders drop into the box at goalkicks is a deliberate attacking tactic, wants us to attack by overloading the wings and by getting quick switches of play.

In terms of the squad he still wants another 4. Looks like a fast winger from Australlia will be signing tomorrow. From how he spoke I think he sees Palmer as our main defensive midfielder and as a starter. Palmer's loan can be extended if we choose. Wants to get players with experince of winning the league hence Fox, De Vita etc.

Wants to sign another defender but believes he can wait until later in the window for that one.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, east end jag said:

I really enjoyed tonight's session. Was set-up differently from the last time with, l think, slightly less people there. Only Gerry and Gary there from the club but they were both very engaging and it all felt a bit more relaxed than last time.

I'll try and give a very broad summary of how l think it went and the content of the evening. Others can chip in and correct where l have picked things up wrong. 

Started with Gerry saying, with tongue in cheek, that it had been a quiet summer (getting a laugh from quite a bit of the audience) then telling us that hopefully things will start to move and become clearer in the next few weeks. He then handed over to Gary.

Gary was very relaxed and spoke, l thought, really well. Went through the pre season training routines and gave an overview of what he was trying to do - Gary spoke about the lack of strikers making that area difficult to practice. His opinion is it had gone well to date and he was happy with things so far. Players had worked hard. He then went on to discuss how he has worked on an idea of what the players identify the club with/as and what they would want it to be identified as. This was agreed by the players and it will be the mantra they adopt in terms of looking to achieve and bond over the season.  Intention of this is to create a common purpose which will be the motivation for working as a team and building a spirit and unity.

After this he spoke about how we got ready for the two Hearts games - this was pretty in-depth as we looked at preparation techniques like video's, drills, intended positioning, targeting pitch areas/opposition players. This might sound boring but it was actually very interesting and peppered with people asking questions and making observations which Gary answered and gave his perspective on.

It then developed into a very random question and answer session with player strengths, our defending corners, the new rule on bye-kicks and how the team position to maximise the change, possible signings, view on who we have signed, budget still available, the merits of the academy and how players transition from one to the other (and what they need to learn in order to move on), views on artificial pitches, not having a dedicated training ground, arrangements for loan players, thoughts on division opponents and our games to date were some of the questions l remember. But there were stacks of questions which Gary took and answered as well as he could.

It then finished with Gerry thanking everyone for coming along and asking that we give Gary a round of applause. In all, about an hour and a half long with a positive vibe generally being the mood.

Hope this is useful and, as l say, happy to have others disagree with my take or how l caught some aspects of the evening.

I was there and GC’s overview was superb, suffice to say if the players put in as much effort on the park as GC clearly does in their preparation then we will be in a really good position.

1 minute ago, Vinnyjag said:

I was there and GC’s overview was superb, suffice to say if the players put in as much effort on the park as GC clearly does in their preparation then we will be in a really good position. ïğż

Agree, I was impressed and whilst not convinced about some of his philosphies you can't fault his preperation, how he is structuring training and approach to developing the team. He gives a very good presentation and I get why our previous chairman was so impressed at his interview.

Just now, dl1971 said:

Thanks for the update guys. Open communications like this very welcome. Interesting no new directors there...but possibly advisable in the circumstances.

Whilst its nice to hear the clubs ok financially and how we are/aren't progressing with a training ground I would much rather hear about football matters. Hopefully whatever happens next there will be more of these and they become a fixture with subsequent managers.