Partick Thistle Vs Airdrieonians -League Cup

jagfox

So it seems we're only a week away from the start of the season when it's feels like we're still deep in the middle of pre-season with plenty of goings on to occur off the pitch.

Il Gruppo di Merda kicks off with a tie against perennial Firhill favourites, Airdrieonians.

Hopefully with a player or two added by the weekend we'll fill our bench. 

Not noticed much about Airdrie's summer antics apart from signing up another Firhill favourite in Ally Roy and I'm sure he'll receive a warm reception.

Despite it having the feel of a preseason game the players will obviously be wanting to get the group games off to a good start by keeping the 3 points at Firhill.

I don't reckon it'll be pretty but I fancy a home win.

2-1 Jags (Miller, Mansell) Airdrie (Roy).

Hard to know how to comment what with a couple of players likely to be added before the game and another 2 after that by the end of the month.  Likely additions will be a midfielder and a defender with another midfielder and a forward later (hopefully another 2 forwards but we may sign someone who can play both midfield/wing and as a striker and stick to 4 additions).

I'd expect we'll start with an 11 formed from the squad that's been training together recently with any new additions coming off the bench later in the game.  So, likely line up to start:

Sneddon;  Saunders, O'Ware, McGinty;  Williamson, Harkins, Bannigan, Penrice;  Gordon; Mansell, Miller.

If Gordon's injury is worse than expected then maybe the formation will be tweaked slightly to let Cardle start or they may risk giving a new played a run out. 

Edited by Mr Bunny

39 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

Hard to know how to comment what with a couple of players likely to be added before the game and another 2 after that by the end of the month.  Likely additions will be a midfielder and a defender with another midfielder and a forward later (hopefully another 2 forwards but we may sign someone who can play both midfield/wing and as a striker and stick to 4 additions).

I'd expect we'll start with an 11 formed from the squad that's been training together recently with any new additions coming off the bench later in the game.  So, likely line up to start:

Sneddon;  Saunders, O'Ware, McGinty;  Williamson, Harkins, Bannigan, Penrice;  Gordon; Mansell, Miller.

If Gordon's injury is worse than expected then maybe the formation will be tweaked slightly to let Cardle start or they may risk giving a new played a run out. 

Williamson and Penrice would have to work exceptionally hard to provide effective width in that starting line up (though I cannot think of anything better!).

Would also like to see Calum Wilson being given an opportunity, either from the start or coming on with a decent chunk of the game still to go (perhaps replacing Harkins).

Really looking forward to seeing o'ware. I think this is the player to turn our defence into a more cohesive unit. Not conceeding stupid goals should be the first priority after some farcical goings on last season. A clean sheet is a must for me in this game, 2 nil for us.

Maybe it's the lack of a friendly, I've no idea, but I can't mind a recent season when I've felt so indifferent to our competitive kick off. Be nice to see a fit O'Ware play and I'm interested to see if Calum Wilson is closer physically to the first team as I love the lad's enthusiasm, but he may not get a game.

As Pinhead says it's a game we should be winning and I agree with that. At the moment we can put out a strong enough XI to compete with any team we're scheduled to play. Hopefully strength in depth will follow.

aye I’ll be all over TOW anytime when the odds come out! Wouldn’t mind us having a sniff at Stevie May, linked with st mirren, st j, dundee and dundee and dundee utd, well who hasn’t been linked with the last two all season. May would be ideal for us.

5 hours ago, jags on tour said:

aye I’ll be all over TOW anytime when the odds come out! Wouldn’t mind us having a sniff at Stevie May, linked with st mirren, st j, dundee and dundee and dundee utd, well who hasn’t been linked with the last two all season. May would be ideal for us.

To be honest I think Wright from Aberdeen would be a better signing. May sadly has never been the same since his bad injury 

• Like 2

Have ticket prices been set for the cup games? I can't find them on club web pages. Or is it a case of turn up and see? The first game is only four days away.

edited to add:  I found them by going back through news items from last month! They're £12/£6.

Edited by scotty

On 7/9/2019 at 6:30 AM, scotty said:

Have ticket prices been set for the cup games? I can't find them on club web pages. Or is it a case of turn up and see? The first game is only four days away.

edited to add:  I found them by going back through news items from last month! They're £12/£6.

I just went on to add the game to my ST but unable to do so. Having to buy a paper ticket. Problems with this ticketing system continuing...

25 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

I just went on to add the game to my ST but unable to do so. Having to buy a paper ticket. Problems with this ticketing system continuing...

I never had any problems adding games/renewing my Season Ticket till they fixed the system,cannot do anything on it anymore,so I just drop in to the office and do it there.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

The system works it's just NOT easy.

Took me 20 minutes last night, but I got there in the end.

You have to select your season ticket seat for it to recognise that you're a season ticket holder and add the game to your card.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Are we allowed to play trialists in League Cup group games ?

I'm guessing no as I'm sure we would've played a few in previous seasons.

Different cup but you're not allowed trialists in the Challenge Cup. And in true SFA/SPFL you couldn't make it up fashion, the reason given is it would devalue the competition. :D

20 hours ago, Firhillista said:

The system works it's just NOT easy.

Took me 20 minutes last night, but I got there in the end.

You have to select your season ticket seat for it to recognise that you're a season ticket holder and add the game to your card.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:30 AM, scotty said:

I added the two home games to my ST card. It was made easy as I asked the ticket office to talk me through the process

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, westertonjagfan said:

I phoned the office today, renewed my season ticket and added the 2 league cup games on at the same time.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:42 PM, Jimmy McD said:

I see that the hospitality has got bumped..Alan Rough lounge opened for drinks..

The Club was sending out mixed messages, so it’s not surprising it’s got bumped.

GC was treating it as part of the pre season whilst the Club was pushing it as normal £75/ £50  Curry Hospitality day .

Not really surprised there wasn’t more of an uptake .